Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2012, 09:02 PM   #76
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Thought I'd update on the clam. It's in a 15g nano now, for about a month, about 17 inches directly under a PAR 38 LED bulb. Flow is slow, although faster elsewhere in the tank. No skimmer, just very small daily water changes, and an HOB filter with a bit of carbon that is changed every 5-6 days.

I'm feeling pretty lucky so far.

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2012, 06:55 PM   #77
iwishtofish
Registered Member

The clownfish really seems to find the clam to it's liking, sometimes getting almost right down on the mantle. Remarkably, the clam doesn't seem to mind...

Unread 07/28/2012, 08:19 PM   #78
darmx
Registered Member

kill the vermetid snail. Their mucus irritates the coral and possibly the clam. I superglue the snail in. I also have use pliers to break open their shell attached to the rock . Don't believe what others say about these vermetid snail ... they are the biggest pest and they proliferate in the tank like crazy. The best vermetid snail are the dead ones.

good read. google ... "Vermetid snails are bad for stony corals, coral crabs keep em in check"

darmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2012, 11:46 PM   #79
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmx View Post
kill the vermetid snail. Their mucus irritates the coral and possibly the clam. I superglue the snail in. I also have use pliers to break open their shell attached to the rock . Don't believe what others say about these vermetid snail ... they are the biggest pest and they proliferate in the tank like crazy. The best vermetid snail are the dead ones.

good read. google ... "Vermetid snails are bad for stony corals, coral crabs keep em in check"
Yes, they can be quite annoying. I've been lucky so far that they have not proliferated in my tank - at least to the point of chaos. I think I'm beyond the practical point of eradication, though.

Unread 09/19/2012, 09:33 PM   #80
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Well, I'm happy to be able to report the clam is still kicking. I guess I'm doing enough right to keep it going in this 15g tank, although I'm slightly nervous every day that something will go wrong. I'm just trying to keep things status quo for the tank, in the hope that we can make it to the next one!

The clam loves to turn around at will, so I've just decided to let it do whatever it wants to do! The clown still stays close, but doesn't seem to nestle up top as much as it did.

Unread 09/19/2012, 10:34 PM   #81
x3thelast
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Well, I'm happy to be able to report the clam is still kicking. I guess I'm doing enough right to keep it going in this 15g tank, although I'm slightly nervous every day that something will go wrong. I'm just trying to keep things status quo for the tank, in the hope that we can make it to the next one!

The clam loves to turn around at will, so I've just decided to let it do whatever it wants to do! The clown still stays close, but doesn't seem to nestle up top as much as it did.
your clam is doing great! how big is it?

Unread 09/20/2012, 08:52 AM   #82
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3thelast View Post
your clam is doing great! how big is it?
I'd say about 5 - 5.5" length. Not a baby, I guess!

Unread 10/14/2012, 08:08 AM   #83
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Well, we're at about 6.5 months now, and I think the clam has proven hardy. I haven't noticed anything to be truly alarmed about...it is very reactive to light changes and has finally attached to the bottom glass of my nano. It's still directly under a PAR38 LED fixture, but extends its mantle quite far. I'd love some input on whether this may indicate it is still light-starved, and whether or not I should consider lowering the light even more. There are about 18" between the light and the top of the clam. The bottom pic is short exposure - things look quite bright in person:

Unread 10/23/2012, 06:36 PM   #84
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Funny clam has rotated around (about 250 degrees) to the point where it is now touching the tentacles of the torch coral. I had already moved the torch coral once, but as the torch grows bigger and the clam moves, this situation was hard to avoid. No sign of a dispute or damage to the clam. Should I worry?

Unread 12/05/2012, 11:21 AM   #85
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Time for another update, I guess. Things seem to be going really well for the clam. It still moves around a bit, but that has slowed down. It still is hosting vermetid snails of some strange sort on it's shell. When I feed or blow up detritus, they spin their little webs, but it doesn't seem to bother the clam too much.

Look at this critter I just photographed. There are several on the clam. Yikes!

Here's a picture I posted a good while back. I wonder if it's the same kind of snail...perhaps just growing now?

Unread 12/05/2012, 06:28 PM   #86
moliken
Registered Member

vermetid snails, i think. highly invasive fast reproducers from a few to hundreds. physically break the tube. cannot cut it, gotta use some leverage and break it.

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2012, 07:00 PM   #87
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliken View Post
vermetid snails, i think. highly invasive fast reproducers from a few to hundreds. physically break the tube. cannot cut it, gotta use some leverage and break it.
So far they've stuck to the clam...the white, jagged armor growth is new; as my nano tank matures, everything is starting to grow.

I have no idea how I'd get the leverage to break them off. Maybe superglue up the snout, but that is high risk with the clam's reluctance to stay withdrawn.

Unread 12/07/2012, 02:26 AM   #88
ange062
Registered Member

Beautiful clam, great to see it doing well!! All my clams have vermited snails and I've never had an issue, but listen to moliken because he knows best.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2012, 10:52 AM   #89
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange062 View Post
Beautiful clam, great to see it doing well!! All my clams have vermited snails and I've never had an issue, but listen to moliken because he knows best.
Thanks very much - I'm feeling pretty lucky about having success with this clam. The web from the snails don't bother the clam, but these ragged looking snails are growing right up under the mantle, and may become a real problem.

I agree that moliken has the expert knowledge, and I am always grateful to receive his advice. I just wish I could easily take it, in this case. I don't know how to get a tool down to the clam and twist off the vermetids without injuring the clam. I'm starting to toy with the idea of using stainless steel bone cutters to crunch them off; perhaps that way I won't stress the clams foot too much from twisting...

Unread 12/07/2012, 09:13 PM   #90
moliken
Registered Member

stainless will do the trick. btw, many people said to me to ignore the vermetids. they never did anything in their tanks. well, i did leave the bstrds alone. wroooong!

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 02:14 AM   #91
Seanthefish
Registered Member

The snails never bothered my clams but they sure are annoying.

Seanthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 10:13 AM   #92
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliken View Post
stainless will do the trick. btw, many people said to me to ignore the vermetids. they never did anything in their tanks. well, i did leave the bstrds alone. wroooong!
Hopefully I'll get to taking care of them soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthefish View Post
The snails never bothered my clams but they sure are annoying.
They are annoying. They thread off my clam into my corals.

Unread 12/29/2012, 09:34 PM   #93
iwishtofish
Registered Member

The tank has the beginnings of a dino assault, so to try to save corals I have resorted to running heavier carbon, and doing larger daily water changes. One other thing I've done is to shorten the daily lighting cycle to about 6 hours. I'm hoping this will not affect the clam negatively, as it is under pretty good light for that period of time. Although I've seen the corals react negatively to the dinos (perhaps to their toxins), the clam has not yet shown any adverse signs.

Unread 12/29/2012, 11:52 PM   #94
yukyuklee
Registered Member

nice clam!

Unread 12/30/2012, 02:23 PM   #95
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukyuklee View Post
nice clam!
Thanks! Still kickin'...

Unread 04/12/2013, 09:08 AM   #96
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Long-overdue update...the clam is still looking good, although it just now finally settled down. Either it is tired of turning around, or it is just tired. I need to check my water quality and lighting, though, as it seems (a bit suddenly?) to be less reactive to shadows and a bit less sensitive to invaders. Mantle extension is still good, though.

Typically, it would have blown this hermit off its roof...

Unread 08/07/2013, 08:16 PM   #97
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Well, the clam is now in its third tank - I set up a sumpless 40 breeder to replace the 15g nano. The clam position and rock look very similar now to how things looked in the original 75g tank.

I have a Chinese-made LED fixture 10-12" over the water - the LEDs are running at 2w without optics. I currently have both whites and blues at about 50%, not daring to go higher just yet. I figure I'll slowly make an increase though. I don't have a par meter, but this seems lilke a pretty good amount of light.

After going in this tank a few weeks ago, the clam has had a slightly more curled mantle; I don't know if this signifies any kind of stress or not. There was never any gaping after the transfer, which was good.

If I end up not turning the light up much higher, I may consider reinstalling a PAR38 bulb exclusively for the clam.

Unread 02/09/2016, 08:19 PM   #98
ERIC85854
Registered Member

The clam keeps moving and expelling zoo because you're blasting it with too much light. I don't know why no one told you this. This is what they do when there's too much light and they aren't acclimated properly (same with corals).

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote