Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Jekerry
Registered Member

Which first

When I had a fish only tank, I had a clown and anemone and loved them. It was dumb luck, but they did so great together. That was 35 years ago and I don’t remember if I got them at the same time or not. This time I would like to get a pair of clowns and a hosting anemone. Should I get them all at the same time or get the fish first or the anemone first?

My anenome had pink tips. What would be a good combo? I remember them being so pretty and lively. I would love to do the same again, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 10:43 PM   #2
Kinetic
Registered Member

Anemone first so that it can settle down before clownfish start bashing their faces into them.

Also, not all anemones will host all clowns (or more like clowns won't accept a host that isn't it's host in nature). So to get close to guaranteed hosting, you'll need to match them up.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Agreed, Nem first and natural combinations.

I would recommend them having a tank for themselves, so that you get to see the most of their territorial dancing. If you crowd them, they will perk more in their safe spot(s) but otherwise they will dance around all the tank at dusk.

Some of the anemonefish-complexes swim with sideward movement, some with up and down movement.

The bigger types tend to be much more territorial but -the bigger the fish- the louder sounds they make.. and that is of course a very endearing trait in the eyes of many human pet owners.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:17 AM   #4
Jekerry
Registered Member

Thanks! Will get the nem first!

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

You're welcome, it is like the most overlooked pets around imo.

(..easy for me to say, I didn't get into saltwater hosting until LED made the lighting aspect cheaper ..)

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote