Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2017, 06:56 PM   #26
10Seconds
Registered Member

For my eyes, the corals looks best under MH and T5 combos. It feels like some of the big names in corals are pushing LEDs for commercial and financial reasons not out of true belief in them. Or else put way more LED fixtures on their tank than the average hobby guy ever would.

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 11:53 PM   #27
mike810
Registered Member

I have only ever used T5, T5+led and leds alone. I currently have two ati hybrids over my tank and am considering switching to MH+T5.

I have a 8x3x2 tank, I'm wondering if I should go with 400w or will 250w suffice? I was looking at the Giesemann Spectre 48" x2 with luxcore selectable ballast. I assume I would need four ballast to run four MH bulbs correct? I've never ran MH before so the ballast part confuses me a bit.

Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 12:07 AM   #28
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
I have only ever used T5, T5+led and leds alone. I currently have two ati hybrids over my tank and am considering switching to MH+T5.

I have a 8x3x2 tank, I'm wondering if I should go with 400w or will 250w suffice? I was looking at the Giesemann Spectre 48" x2 with luxcore selectable ballast. I assume I would need four ballast to run four MH bulbs correct? I've never ran MH before so the ballast part confuses me a bit.

Keep it...it works,

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 12:15 AM   #29
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
Keep it...it works,

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It definitely works. I just really like the crisp look of a radium bulb and the natural shimmer it provides.

Unread 10/26/2017, 09:19 AM   #30
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Yes, four ballasts for four bulbs.

Luxcore selectable is fine for the 400W Radium. The 250W Radium is made for the M80 ballast, which you really need - even the selectable on the HQI setting does not look the same.

Spreading 3 feet is hard, so I would get the 400W.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 11:09 AM   #31
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

I have no idea why anyone would want to take heat and cost out of the equation.

Is this a hypothetical situation?

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 11:12 AM   #32
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

The Kessil diffusing lens appears to blend color of all the leds in the tiny cluster as it leaves the lens. I think thats why you see no disco ball effect with them.

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 11:17 AM   #33
five.five-six
Registered Member

I have yet to see anything that comes close to 20K 250w radiums on a M80 ballest over 24” of water. It’s a freak of nature how well they work.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 11:28 AM   #34
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post

Yes.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 01:53 PM   #35
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComforablyNumb View Post

For me, cost is not a factor. Color and growth outweighs any cost associated with lighting.

Unread 10/26/2017, 01:55 PM   #36
mike810
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Yes, four ballasts for four bulbs.

Luxcore selectable is fine for the 400W Radium. The 250W Radium is made for the M80 ballast, which you really need - even the selectable on the HQI setting does not look the same.

Spreading 3 feet is hard, so I would get the 400W.
Thanks for the feedback. So you recommend running 400w due to the width of my tank but not necessarily the height correct? Run 400w and raise them up a bit to cover the 3 feet wide tank?

What if I told you the all the rock work is towards some what right in the middle of the tank and that's where I plan to keep all the SPS. Would you still recommend 400w over the 250w?

Unread 10/26/2017, 02:01 PM   #37
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Yes, I still would use 400W. That way, you can get as much light into the 24" area, or whatever it ends up being. Also, when you get good at this, the colonies will brach out both front and back where there is open water.

Unread 10/26/2017, 02:17 PM   #38
DanCorals
Registered Member

Radions running Coral Lab SPS AB+ program @ 65%. For better color, I also dose BRS ReefChili as well as Poul's Xtra Special

DanCorals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 02:21 PM   #39
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCorals View Post
Radions running Coral Lab SPS AB+ program @ 65%. For better color, I also dose BRS ReefChili as well as Poul's Xtra Special
I ran this for 8 months but switched to World Wide Coral's color spectrum recently. The AB+ program is really blue, like too blue unless you run your Radions at 100% with fans screaming. Seems to lack intensity compared to the WWC program. For me at least.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 03:53 AM   #40
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post

Make sure you get quality reflectors. Lumenarc 3's revolutionized reflector designs. They aren't availalble new anymore but there are other brands that have copied the design and work just as well. Most are approx. 20x20"

This will give a maximum coverage similar to this--

lumenarc spread by Big E 52, on Flickr

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 04:01 PM   #41
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

If you get the business part of the bulb into the center of the reflector, the blue and yellow parts above will be very uniform. This can be an issue since lots of bulbs have the emitter not the center, but most fixtures will let you adjust for this.

Unread 10/27/2017, 08:11 PM   #42
mike810
Registered Member

It would have to be a clean setup in a fixture in order for me to move on it. I wanted to added some reefbrites to my PM hybrid but wife was not digging the look of it. Either way, will be awhile before I can convince if ever the wife lol.

Apologies to the OP for derailing.

Unread 11/01/2017, 01:47 PM   #43
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

I love my 250w MH and 4 Blue T5s on my 40g breeder. I have tried everything over the years, and this is my favorite. tried to switch to radions but it didn't make it past the initial test phase. worth the extra electricity and heat.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 04:16 PM   #44
sbreefer
Afflicted Reefer

i too tried 4 radion pros and went back to 400W MH w t5 actinic supp. I was never able to achieve the growth and colr that i get using the halides. my favorite lamps are 20K radiums

Current Tank Info: SPS dominated 300g
sbreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 09:16 AM   #45
dadummy
Registered Member

they told me when I was getting the fever you cannot grow SPS under VHO. That was my favorite lighting. I forget the exact bulb config., however, I do remember running two NO Aqua-D Blue bulbs along with the 4 VHO bulbs over a 90g. The NO bulbs had an amazing blue pop for that time frame. Pics are all on a crashed hard drive and it makes me want to cry. Maybe it's euphoric recall, but I know for sure the Monti Caps were amazing and the A. Aspera grew branches out of the water. Sure, easy SPS, but for a beginner it was fantastic.
The excess of Monti frags paid for the lighting upgrade to T5. Which at the time they came out the Halide guru's stated you cannot grow SPS under T5. Wrong again know it all!. Seven T5 bulbs over a 90 gallon grew everything. I then absolutely had to have a bigger tank and switched up to a 150g with T5 and was very successful.
Holy Cow, then the blue LED hit the street, I had to have it!!. Once again the SPS guru's were wrong stating you can't grow SPS under LED. With the DIY RB, CW LED combo I was still able to sustain the sps they just grew differently. While Red Planet and ATL Mirabilis continued to grow up and table, the ORA blue Mille and other corals would just encrust and not branch. Eventually pulled the white LED and added back some B+ T5, life was good again. Except for the dreaded AEFW.
A few years ago we replaced the tile flooring in the house, set up a holding/ frag system broke down the tank treating corals for AEFW. Finally, I got to try the ultimate lighting, Metal Halide. Picked up three used 250w DE pendants with M80 ballasts and supplemented with blue LED. Man those things are bright. I think the blue LED ruined it for me. I was never happy with the Halide bulb colors and the LED sucked for supplementation to the bright lights. I was either going to get new pendants and run Radiums or put the T5 back in. I feel the Halides have not gotten a fair shake and are in the attic. For the last two years, I have had nothing but issues with the system, Compromising myself that once all the SPS finally die I will go back to a mixed reef, I switched out to T5. Still not sure what's wrong, ICP test came back OK but that's another long boring story.
SO, with all the nonsense the best *growth and coloration* for me has been with T5 LED.

dadummy is offline   Reply With Quote