Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2019, 11:03 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

sick perc with likely fungus.. please help

Hi,

I've treated this perc for 2 1/2 days so far with pimafix in a hospital bucket/tank She looks otherwise healthy, but the spot seen here has grown even with treatment of recommended dose of pimafix. So I tripled the dose, nothing to lose I'm sure she will die anyhow. What do I do?? There must be something that will for sure get rid of this. I dont know 100% for sure it's a fungus, but it looks like one to me lol.. and it looks just a fungus spot take from a book on fish disease.

The first pic is my actual fish, but the spot is much larger now and thicker. The second pic is not my fish , but posted b/c it's much clearer of a pic than I can get. It looks exactly same as my perc's spot. That spot on that fish is fungal. So I'm thinking mine is also. Side note, I treated her the first few days with antibiotic. It did nothing.

I did post this in the clownfish forum, but she's going to die soon, so I needed a repost here.
TY for input.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SickPerc1.jpg (43.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (13.5 KB, 11 views)
CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 07:35 AM   #2
CTaylor
Registered Member

What about targetted h2o2 ? Peroxide. If i put a drop directly on the patch? Will that hurt the perc?

Unread 06/11/2019, 08:57 AM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Looks like a bacterial infection.

Kanaplex + Metroplex seems to work best on clownfish.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 09:13 AM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Looks like a bacterial infection.

Kanaplex + Metroplex seems to work best on clownfish.
even with it so fluffy ? ...
I did treat with cipro a few days with no effect before the pimafix . Does that mean it's probably not bacterial?

TY!!

Unread 06/11/2019, 09:19 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

how about:

MELAFIX??? : https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-a...ent-17893.html

OR GENERAL CURE?
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-a...ure-17963.html

or ERYTHROMYOCIN?
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-a...ent-17966.html

OR a mix??? waht can I not mix together?

TY

Unread 06/11/2019, 09:42 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
even with it so fluffy ? ...
I did treat with cipro a few days with no effect before the pimafix . Does that mean it's probably not bacterial?

TY!!
It should have at least receded a little with Cipro if the growth is bacterial.

Fungus is extremely rare in SW fish. Another possibility is Lympho: https://humble.fish/lymphocystis/

(I have seen the nodules look beige colored instead of white.)

Unread 06/11/2019, 09:56 AM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

it's not that.. it's a large greay fluffy mass, just like the pic of a fungal infection

Unread 06/11/2019, 10:15 AM   #8
CTaylor
Registered Member

that second pic in my oringal post IS a fungal infection, at least according to book that is talkiinb about fungal infections in fish .. it looks exactly what my perc has. So i'm really doubting it's not fungal esp with it being fluffy like a fungus. not a bacterial film or thick film

Unread 06/11/2019, 11:30 AM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
It should have at least receded a little with Cipro if the growth is bacterial.

Fungus is extremely rare in SW fish. Another possibility is Lympho: https://humble.fish/lymphocystis/

(I have seen the nodules look beige colored instead of white.)
It's neither bacterial nor Lymphocystis. Bacterial infections do not create fibrose cotton-like growth like this and lymphocystis looks very different. It's fungal for sure:

From Diseases in Marine Aquarium Fish by Gerald Bassleer

Just because it is rare doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And in my experience it isn't actually that rare. I've had precisely this on clownfish before and have seen pictures of others encountering the same. I've also seen Anthias with similar infections that were less fluffy and growing more inward.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 11:41 AM   #10
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
I would try something decidedly antifungal like Clotrimazole or Ketoconazole:

Clotrimazole as a Potent Agent for Treating the Oomycete Fish Pathogen Saprolegnia parasitica through Inhibition of Sterol 14α-Demethylase (CYP51)

Fish Fungus (Thomas Labs) is Ketoconazole.

Malachite green has also antifungal properties.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 06/11/2019, 11:59 AM   #11
ThRoewer
Registered Member

You could try an antifungal cream or ointment containing Clotrimazole and directly apply it on the affected areas. You find them in every pharmacy or store with an OTC pharmacy department.

And I would definitely give Malachite green a shot.

Unread 06/11/2019, 12:06 PM   #12
HumbleFish
Moved On

If it is fungal then acriflavine (e.g. Ruby Reef Rally) would be a good choice. As would Methylene Blue. I've also used Pimafix (herbal remedy) to clear fungal infections in FW fish/eggs.

More info: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....is.html#fungus