Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/03/2015, 06:18 PM   #251
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
Um, yea...blame me...
You'll thank me later...mine worked flawlessly while away feeding etc...

actually looked at a lot of dos reviews. Damn that thing is huge! Going to have to think where I can stuff it in the cabinet along with the containers!
It makes me feel better about myself Welcome back to the snow. These are the winters I wished we still lived in miami..That is not bad empty ato and skimmer not working.. better than a crashed tank. I have a 9 gallon ato in the stand, so pretty good about that.

I just set up my apple express for my apex that should arrive on thursday (wont be able to hardwire except for updates)

I also just purchased the eshopps 2 part container from drsfs for 39.99 (they are on sale). I am rearranging the cabinet as we speak.

Ya that DOS is huge, but I feel that i like the consistency of it and the idea of switching it over to do awc eventually..I have a 1940 cape and a basement, so i can drill holes down!

bizacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 09:43 PM   #252
kblack3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
I was going to, but do to the issues with cleaning and most importantly the smaller snails getting stuck, I will go a head and get another mp10

On another note..I up sold myself all the way to a full apex with lap-grade ph prob...Reduck you would be so proud.... I will send you the bill

I haven't noticed the cleaning issue being mentioned on a lot of threads what specifically causes the headache with cleaning? I was thinking of getting both the maxspect and the new mp10 so I could use the mp10 to shoot some side current randomly to shake things up.

kblack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 04:35 AM   #253
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblack3 View Post
I haven't noticed the cleaning issue being mentioned on a lot of threads what specifically causes the headache with cleaning? I was thinking of getting both the maxspect and the new mp10 so I could use the mp10 to shoot some side current randomly to shake things up.
A couple people have stated that cleaning is going to be an issue because of having to pull off both sides and clean it. They really didn't go into depth but enough people said it for me to think.

You could do that for sure. I like the idea of a more controllable power head too that the mp10 and finally, just don't like wires coming out of my tank. A lot of people like them, I say go for it! And post a picture of course

Unread 03/04/2015, 06:30 AM   #254
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
I also just purchased the eshopps 2 part container from drsfs for 39.99 (they are on sale). I am rearranging the cabinet as we speak.
Good deal on the container. Ordered one too. I'll rearrange the innards to make it all fit somehow!

I think next time we go away I'll just use a 10g ato container outside the stand.
Skimmer issue just turned out to be a clogged airline...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2015, 06:52 AM   #255
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Good deal on the container. Ordered one too. I'll rearrange the innards to make it all fit somehow!

I think next time we go away I'll just use a 10g ato container outside the stand.
Skimmer issue just turned out to be a clogged airline...
Notice how I recommend affordable items to you and not $500 + items

Glad it wasnt that bad... I am running chaeto now in one of the caddies, so far so good. I tested my water again after 3 massive water changes from the crash and my ALK is still at 10.75 and Ca is at 480.. waiting for them to drop.

I do not think I am going to add anything until I get back from Asia, do not want to risk it... Start doing after I get back. I am working on getting another mp10, go the used route I think. Since the gyre is on the mark, the mp10s should drop significantly

Unread 03/04/2015, 07:05 AM   #256
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Notice how I recommend affordable items to you and not $500 + items

Glad it wasnt that bad... I am running chaeto now in one of the caddies, so far so good. I tested my water again after 3 massive water changes from the crash and my ALK is still at 10.75 and Ca is at 480.. waiting for them to drop.

I do not think I am going to add anything until I get back from Asia, do not want to risk it... Start doing after I get back. I am working on getting another mp10, go the used route I think. Since the gyre is on the mark, the mp10s should drop significantly

Yes and thank you for that. Only trying to help!

Good luck in your search. I bought both of my mp's used and they are dead quiet and function perfectly.

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 03/04/2015, 07:18 AM   #257
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes and thank you for that. Only trying to help!

Good luck in your search. I bought both of my mp's used and they are dead quiet and function perfectly.
what year are they?

Unread 03/04/2015, 07:26 AM   #258
Reduck
Because I can....

One is a 13 and the other a 14. Both quiet. So far...

Unread 03/06/2015, 09:37 PM   #259
bizacon
Registered Member

I was a little busy tonight, installing another mp10 and installing the apex...thankful I got the full apex and not the jr.. Send me a consulting bill Reduck.

Not finished yet, but teaching tomorrow so need get some sleep.. Dont worry the ph probe is not in yet..ignore the reading

Unread 03/07/2015, 05:38 AM   #260
Reduck
Because I can....

Nice. I'm jealous. Jealous, that your wiring is neat and tidy already...I still haven't hung a thing. All piled in the top left compartment. I did put lighting in, but never turn on that section...I keep telling myself, wait till this arrives then do it. But there is always something new arriving! Doser and storage tank will be here next week. I THINK that's the last thing I can cram in there. I'll need to put a hanger in for that...and maybe move a shelf up...

Wait till you get it all running on fusion....you will be so happy!

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:13 AM   #261
bizacon
Registered Member

I hate wires, so I need to keep everything clean and wires hidden. I do not drill anything, I just use the 3m velcro. You have to keep me up to date on how you like the DOS, I am still undecided on which one to get, but I do like the full integration.

I am thinking about what I want to run through fusion. I will have my heater set up so it will turn off at 81 and send me an alert if it falls before 76, but I really dont know what else to run at the moment..skimmer and reactor run all the time and lights and pumps i do not change much. Ideas?

I picked up those lights for the stand on amazon..they are motion sensors so only turn on when i open the doors to the stand

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:16 AM   #262
Rtankster
Registered Member

Quote:

Looking good bizacon, is your light a Radion XR30? Do you think you could have gotten by with the XR15? Do you have a build thread?

Rtankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2015, 06:35 AM   #263
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
I hate wires, so I need to keep everything clean and wires hidden. I do not drill anything, I just use the 3m velcro. You have to keep me up to date on how you like the DOS, I am still undecided on which one to get, but I do like the full integration.

I am thinking about what I want to run through fusion. I will have my heater set up so it will turn off at 81 and send me an alert if it falls before 76, but I really dont know what else to run at the moment..skimmer and reactor run all the time and lights and pumps i do not change much. Ideas?
Use apex to control the Radion, mp's, heater fail safe, feed cycles, etc. from anywhere in the world...it's almost endless possibilities. You'll want to control the skimmer and reactor with the feed cycles so give them outlets. same with the mp's. I am using a dual AC pigtail to save another outlet here, but you could plug them (mp's) into an always hot line too. Remember the wxm will control these wirelessly. Same could be said about the radion, but you want to setup a failsafe temp for that and control it. I have my wifi adapter on a separate power source to save the outlet, it gave me one spare. When I had the fuge light running, it was full. Hence my comments about the jr. 4 outlets would never work. Maybe in a smaller cube, but not here.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Reduck; 03/07/2015 at 06:42 AM.
Unread 03/07/2015, 07:35 AM   #264
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtankster View Post
Looking good bizacon, is your light a Radion XR30? Do you think you could have gotten by with the XR15? Do you have a build thread?
Thank you! No build thread, but feel free to ask questions and I will be more than willing to explain or help out. I am a teacher so I always do that!

Reasons for not going XR15
1. It wasn't out yet when I built this tank (April 2014)
2. Visually, I feel that it would look weird over a tank like this.
3. We are always thinking about upgrading right? So I felt that if I decided to go bigger, I would only have to get another radion instead of getting two.

Unread 03/07/2015, 07:40 AM   #265
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Use apex to control the Radion, mp's, heater fail safe, feed cycles, etc. from anywhere in the world...it's almost endless possibilities. You'll want to control the skimmer and reactor with the feed cycles so give them outlets. same with the mp's. I am using a dual AC pigtail to save another outlet here, but you could plug them (mp's) into an always hot line too. Remember the wxm will control these wirelessly. Same could be said about the radion, but you want to setup a failsafe temp for that and control it. I have my wifi adapter on a separate power source to save the outlet, it gave me one spare. When I had the fuge light running, it was full. Hence my comments about the jr. 4 outlets would never work. Maybe in a smaller cube, but not here.
Got it.. I don't turn off my reactor or skimmer when I feed, guess I should start doing that. Makes sense with the radion too...if it gets to a certain temperature, then the tank goes dark. I have a fuge light, but I will have that plugged in to another outlet since that is always on. Same with my apple express, its plugged in the closet in another out outlet. Guess I need to get a wxm so I can control the pumps and the radions. You have your pump plugged in to a separate or the energy bar?

Unread 03/07/2015, 07:53 AM   #266
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Got it.. I don't turn off my reactor or skimmer when I feed, guess I should start doing that. Makes sense with the radion too...if it gets to a certain temperature, then the tank goes dark. I have a fuge light, but I will have that plugged in to another outlet since that is always on. Same with my apple express, its plugged in the closet in another out outlet. Guess I need to get a wxm so I can control the pumps and the radions. You have your pump plugged in to a separate or the energy bar?
I have all pumps plugged into eb. I combined the two mps using a y adapter to save an outlet.

Unread 03/07/2015, 08:02 AM   #267
bizacon
Registered Member

Got it...now i have to study up on this code stuff...should be pretty easy for me to process... deals with numbers

Unread 03/07/2015, 08:05 AM   #268
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Got it...now i have to study up on this code stuff...should be pretty easy for me to process... deals with numbers
Simple programming language. Sometimes I just need to stop overthinking it. They have a great cheat sheet in the forum with all the commands. Helps a lot.

Unread 03/07/2015, 05:26 PM   #269
bizacon
Registered Member

Wow!!! Holy cracker barrel, you can program the kitchen sink with this apex!

I think programing is going to take some time! But I love the controller

Unread 03/07/2015, 05:32 PM   #270
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Wow!!! Holy cracker barrel, you can program the kitchen sink with this apex!

I think programing is going to take some time! But I love the controller
Are you using fusion or the web interface? Fusion is just amazing!
It does have some flexibility, for sure...
Join the fun at neptunes forum for tricks etc...

Unread 03/07/2015, 05:55 PM   #271
bizacon
Registered Member

I am using fusion and then going into advance and writing code there...just did codes for my heater and alarms to send to me... basic

Going to start writing codes for cleaning and water changes... Feed A will be feeding, turning off skimmer and reactor and turning pumps into feed mode..Feed B will turn off everything except for lights for cleaning and Feed C will be turn everything back on with skimmer delay 20 mins.

Need to figure out how I want to control the tunze ato...might just leave it for now..

After reading, I think i am going to plug my vortex into the power strip behind the tank that I use for the wine cooler and for the wemo.

What module do I get for the vortech and radions? is there one or two...a little confused about that.

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:02 PM   #272
Reduck
Because I can....

WXM for radions and vortechs. you only need one.
That will make you crazy with joy when you see the graphical programming...it really is nicely done!

Have fun!

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:08 PM   #273
bizacon
Registered Member

Will do sir...still sending you the bill on this one!!!

I like the idea of the control over everything. Now that my daughter is two, she is really getting into feeding the fish and watching the coral, so stepping up my game on this.

Thanks for all the help!

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:20 PM   #274
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Will do sir...still sending you the bill on this one!!!

I like the idea of the control over everything. Now that my daughter is two, she is really getting into feeding the fish and watching the coral, so stepping up my game on this.

Thanks for all the help!
Bill? What bill?

No problem. You are quite welcome!

It's a bad addiction this hobby, there must be a 12 step program for reefers somewhere....

Unread 03/07/2015, 06:23 PM   #275
bizacon
Registered Member

I started when I was 12 years old. My asian dwarf hamster died, and I decided I wanted fish...so we changed my glass cage into a aquarium. My fish kept dying and my father took me to a pet store. A kid maybe 21, explain to me at ammonia was in the seals and that was what was killing my fish... so my dad bought me a whole new set up....and the rest is history...31 and still playing with fish