Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2015, 06:15 PM   #1251
bizacon
Registered Member

I bet that is what it is... the rock. I guarantee the lfs was not cooking it for 8 months. That can be a real PITA. I would just follow the regiment that Reduck, slowly but surely it will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
Ok will try the media reactor. I never panic, that is why this has been going on for soooo long. I just keep trying new things lol. I remember reading somwhere that the kind of rock I bought (pukani) might leach phosphates I read it after I bought it. The lfs where I bought it said he had it in water for over 8 months, but who knows.... Maybe that's where the problem is coming from. All I know is I keep trying new things but this is going on now for at least 8 or nine months. Everytime I test my water, or have it tested at lfs it tests fine. Thanks again for all your help!!

Unread 04/26/2015, 06:17 PM   #1252
bizacon
Registered Member

Ha.. I think you are getting worse than me...DOS, now G3 pro... better hide the visa bill from the wife.

I added a nice hammer to the garden today. Will get up pics soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
Fumes? Cool! Not really. When you get them right, let me know. I'll be your first customer!

On another subject I gave up waiting for ecotech to get the G3 pro kits and ordered a new one.
If anyone would like to call dibs on a very clean gen1 I'll be selling it in the classified shortly. Probably 350 shipped..you can get a G3 upgrade for 175 plus shipping now, but I have no idea if and when the G3 pro updates will be available.

Unread 04/26/2015, 06:21 PM   #1253
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizacon View Post
Ha.. I think you are getting worse than me...DOS, now G3 pro... better hide the visa bill from the wife.

I added a nice hammer to the garden today. Will get up pics soon
Not really. Lol. I am just tired of waiting for ecotech to get the kits in stock. It'll all balance out in the end when I sell the g1.. I don't hide stuff from my wife. She knows I'm uncontrollable when it comes to my toys...

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Reduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 06:26 PM   #1254
OsiViper
Registered Member

Red, what other 2 probes do you have besides Temp and PH and what size are they? Same as the temp and ph?

OsiViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2015, 06:28 PM   #1255
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper View Post
Red, what other 2 probes do you have besides Temp and PH and what size are they? Same as the temp and ph?
Basically all the same. Ph, temp x 2, and conductivity. The second temp probe is for temp compensation of the conductivity prob.

Current Tank Info: CADlights SAIO 75G, control, dosing and feeding by Apex, lights and pumps by Ecotech, ATO by Tunze, Skimmer by Bubble Magus, Reactor by Innovative Marine
Unread 04/26/2015, 06:33 PM   #1256
OsiViper
Registered Member

Conductivity probe same size as the others? about 0.5" diameter

Unread 04/26/2015, 06:40 PM   #1257
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Conductivity probe same size as the others? about 0.5" diameter
Yep, maybe a tad longer but same diameter.

Unread 04/26/2015, 07:09 PM   #1258
OsiViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduck View Post
Yep, maybe a tad longer but same diameter.
You have a set of calipers?

Unread 04/26/2015, 09:31 PM   #1259
OsiViper
Registered Member

Decided to check Ammonia since it's been 2 days since I put fish in.
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, ~2 Nitrates.

I was curious, I am running GFO/Carbon in my reactor. Do you guys run Purigen/Chemi-Pure WITH carbon or GFO or instead of?

Unread 04/27/2015, 03:57 AM   #1260
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Decided to check Ammonia since it's been 2 days since I put fish in.
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, ~2 Nitrates.

I was curious, I am running GFO/Carbon in my reactor. Do you guys run Purigen/Chemi-Pure WITH carbon or GFO or instead of?
Either pair will work waste to run all four. Purigen can lower nitrates though.
And yes, I have calipers somewhere. I'll see if I can find them...

Last edited by Reduck; 04/27/2015 at 04:10 AM.
Unread 04/27/2015, 04:49 AM   #1261
Mrs Fish
Registered Member

Hoping to get the tank wet today :)

Back from my trip to Arizona, and today is the day the tank will get wet ! Couple of questions ...

1. I think I read that I should not run my skimmer right away - is that right? Also not sure if I should also run ChemiPure and Carbon too - even though this is my 3rd time doing this ... apparently I am still confused !

2. When preparing the initial fill water, did you heat it up before putting it in the tank with the LR and LS ? I have 5g buckets and a separate heater - happy to create and mix water and warm it up bit by bit over the day ... but just wondering what others did. I admit I'm contemplating running up to Petco to get a few boxes of ready mixed :}

3. I have Chemi Pure Elite and carbon infused Eheim blocks (and filter floss) ... again, not sure whether to run these from the beginning or not - thoughts? I have two IM Caddy's - was thinking of putting rubble LR in one and the Carbon / Chemi pure / floss in the other ... but would love some suggestions / ideas of what others are using.

4. I'm thinking of modifying my Aquamaxx Hob-1 so that it doesn't draw from the same section as it return to (seems like it might be recycling skim water partly).

Right now, look at the tank straight on, I have: LEFT 1: caddy (ChemiPure, Carbon, floss), LEFT 2: Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer, CENTER: Radion 15w mount, heater & probe, RIGHT 2: secondry heater probe (otherwise empty), RIGHT 1: Caddy (empty right now!).

Thank you so much ... lovely this group!

Sue
(Mrs Fish)

Mrs Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 05:40 AM   #1262
Reduck
Because I can....

You don't need to run anything while you are cycling. Water can heat in tank. Unless it's freezing cold it'll be fine. Even the skimmer can be off for the first few weeks.
Just let the cycle run it's course. Towards the end when you are seeing nitrate, then install the cpe and other filtration. Skimmer return should probably be in the center chamber. If you can get it to fit.
Good luck with the startup!

Unread 04/27/2015, 05:42 AM   #1263
Reduck
Because I can....

Oh and go with the lr rubble right away so it gets growing bacteria. It can run in any chamber you can get it in.

Unread 04/27/2015, 06:25 AM   #1264
Mrs Fish
Registered Member

I'm going to be adding bio-spira to speed up the cycle - picking up large pieces of LR and the rubble today ... I have the live sand already, so I'll be filling it half full and then heading to my LFS to pick up the LR and complete the setup.

When did you add a couple of fish to get everything going?

(Sorry for all the questions !!)

Mrs Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 07:02 AM   #1265
choss
Registered Member

Tunze 9004

Quick question - for those of you running the Tunze 9004, I'm planning on mounting it in the left chamber (when facing the tank). For those of you running in outer chamber, did you remove the small acrylic ledge for the media baskets? I'm about to cut it loose but want to make sure there isn't some way to mount the skimmer and keep it in there. Thanks!

choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 09:27 AM   #1266
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post
I'm going to be adding bio-spira to speed up the cycle - picking up large pieces of LR and the rubble today ... I have the live sand already, so I'll be filling it half full and then heading to my LFS to pick up the LR and complete the setup.

Add a clean up crew (cuc) once the system is complete... people use to add fish to help the cycle, but really its more humane to do the bacterial and wait it out while everything goes to work.

Just depends on how fast your tank cycles, but on average like 4 weeks

Unread 04/27/2015, 09:48 AM   #1267
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Fish View Post

Yes, what biz said. Please wait for the cycle to complete before adding any other life. First life will probably be clean up crew. When you are cycled to zero ammonia and nitrates. It's going to be about a month, even with the live culture assist. Be prepared to do a wc at least twice during this time. Check parameters once a week.
Ready, set, cycle!

Unread 04/27/2015, 10:26 AM   #1268
OsiViper
Registered Member

Well, need to tweak the Temperature probe size a tad bit but it works..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150427_102355.jpg (46.6 KB, 56 views)
Unread 04/27/2015, 10:27 AM   #1269
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Well, need to tweak the Temperature probe size a tad bit but it works..
Wow. Can't belive you got it in there? That's a small opening!

Unread 04/27/2015, 10:31 AM   #1270
OsiViper
Registered Member

It fits really easy when you design it to fit in the tiny spot with the reactor.

Unread 04/27/2015, 11:51 AM   #1271
OsiViper
Registered Member

Quote:
It fits really easy when you design it to fit in the tiny spot with the reactor.
After about 5 attempts that is..

Unread 04/27/2015, 01:03 PM   #1272
vlapinta
Registered Member

Quote:
I bet that is what it is... the rock. I guarantee the lfs was not cooking it for 8 months. That can be a real PITA. I would just follow the regiment that Reduck, slowly but surely it will go away.

I agree bizacon. It has to be the rock! It has been a pita but I am determined to win this battle lol!! I just bought the media reactor and the phosban.
Thanks for the help again!

vlapinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2015, 01:18 PM   #1273
bizacon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlapinta View Post
I agree bizacon. It has to be the rock! It has been a pita but I am determined to win this battle lol!! I just bought the media reactor and the phosban.
Thanks for the help again!
Make sure you get a few bottles of wine. I would recommend red

Unread 04/27/2015, 01:41 PM   #1274
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
After about 5 attempts that is..
Practice makes perfect. Or something like that...

Unread 04/27/2015, 01:42 PM   #1275
Reduck
Because I can....

Quote:
Make sure you get a few bottles of wine. I would recommend red
Grey Goose. Much better. You can dose with it too...