Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2015, 10:50 PM   #26
supervdl
Registered Member

I use a Litermeter and it pumps 40 feet across the house from the reservoir in the basement up to my ground floor tank. They are very exact. Best thing I ever did makes my life a lot easier. I am sure it works with other pumps too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167897

Current Tank Info: 135 gal mixed reef with Radions and Zeovit; 210 gal SPS reef being set up
supervdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2015, 04:52 PM   #27
Ginu
Registered Member

Sorry to ressurect this thread, however I am running in a similar situation here.

I've been doing my AWC with DOS and it sure helps the headache of logging 10 gallons of water from my shed in the house and then from the house to the drain...

Now the part which I'm having troubles with... I've had RO tubing split twice on me at the dos nipples and I suppose this is due to t he fact that the tubing on the DOS is much larger than the RO tubing... so where can I purchase proper tubing for this device?

I don't quite see how this device can cause a siphon and I also think it can pump at quite the distance although I haven't tested, my RO barrel and new saltwater barrel are behind the wall in the shed.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 12:40 PM   #28
adova
Premium Member

Hi Ginu -

I just got some tubing from Home Depot. I am using it this evening, so I cannot verify that it is going to work, but it seems to be just the same as what came with the DoS. Most of the RO tubing I have ever used is much more rigid than the tubing I use for the DoS.

Siphoning can happen. I saw it on my system just the other night. You are best off if you include a Normally Closed solenoid (about $12 on eBay) and have it turn on at the same time that the DoS starts pumping and turn off when done. Problem solved.

Current Tank Info: 240g Custom In Wall
adova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 12:54 PM   #29
Ginu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adova View Post
Hi Ginu -

I just got some tubing from Home Depot. I am using it this evening, so I cannot verify that it is going to work, but it seems to be just the same as what came with the DoS. Most of the RO tubing I have ever used is much more rigid than the tubing I use for the DoS.

Siphoning can happen. I saw it on my system just the other night. You are best off if you include a Normally Closed solenoid (about $12 on eBay) and have it turn on at the same time that the DoS starts pumping and turn off when done. Problem solved.
Not a bad idea as I do have a solenoid kicking around. Neptune started to sell their proprietary tubing as well.
Problem I see with the tubing is that it will split if its not the correct diameter... as it has to be shoved on the nipple, then the screw is tight on the tube which will cause a split once the tube tightens up (what happened to me on two occasions now).
The Neptune tube is slightly wider vs the standard RO lines, so even-though it might seem to fit, it will only stress the tubing in time which will cause a split.

I do like the idea of a solenoid and might add this in my circuit as I just purchased a second EB8 which is empty at the moment.

Unread 04/30/2015, 01:07 PM   #30
adova
Premium Member

Just make sure that you plug the solenoid into outlets 4 or 8. The other outlets do not support such low amperage and may leave them accidentally turned on. EB4 will support with all 4 outlets.

Unread 04/30/2015, 01:09 PM   #31
Ginu
Registered Member

Quote:
Just make sure that you plug the solenoid into outlets 4 or 8. The other outlets do not support such low amperage and may leave them accidentally turned on. EB4 will support with all 4 outlets.

Yup, I'm aware about that, thanks for the headsup almost forgot.

Here is the tubing directly from Neptune.

Unread 09/30/2015, 03:45 PM   #32
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Not a bad idea as I do have a solenoid kicking around. Neptune started to sell their proprietary tubing as well.
Problem I see with the tubing is that it will split if its not the correct diameter... as it has to be shoved on the nipple, then the screw is tight on the tube which will cause a split once the tube tightens up (what happened to me on two occasions now).
The Neptune tube is slightly wider vs the standard RO lines, so even-though it might seem to fit, it will only stress the tubing in time which will cause a split.

I do like the idea of a solenoid and might add this in my circuit as I just purchased a second EB8 which is empty at the moment.
How did you run your Neptune tubing into the new saltwater container? I don't have my DOS yet, and am afraid that if I place the tubing in the container by it's self that it may get sucked up against the side of the container when the pump is running and not allow the water change.

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 05:01 PM   #33
Ginu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9iron View Post
How did you run your Neptune tubing into the new saltwater container? I don't have my DOS yet, and am afraid that if I place the tubing in the container by it's self that it may get sucked up against the side of the container when the pump is running and not allow the water change.
The pressure created by the DOS is very very small so the chance of it sticking to the side of the container is small, however there is a chance.

What I did to my system is take a left over piece of PVC tubing and drilled a hole on one side and entered the tube inside the PVC pipe, kinda halfway and that way it ensures two things, it wont get stuck to the side of the container and it acts as a weight keeping the tube close to the bottom and not ending up coiled up in the corner...

The downside or upside (depends on how you look at it) of this method will always leave about 1/2" water in the container which I'm OK with as I don't want to siphon the bottom out anyhow (due to stuff collecting and salt debris at the bottom of the brute can).

Unread 10/01/2015, 11:16 AM   #34
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Been running 2-3 gallons changes each day with our DoS since March.

Love it

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2015, 11:54 AM   #35
Ginu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Been running 2-3 gallons changes each day with our DoS since March.

Love it
I have a frag tank I'm working on which will be plumbed to my main sump and I have to increase the water changes by a little bit... was wondering how well the DoS is taking larger water changes, and it looks like its no problem.

And honestly, its hard to beat this, not to mention I got it for roughly 200$:

Best piece of equipment hands down.

Unread 05/24/2016, 01:51 PM   #36
cincyjim
Registered Member

I wanted to follow up to see how this has been working. Can you provide an update please... thanks!

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 01:53 PM   #37
adova
Premium Member

Mine just started over dosing the new salt water. Not sure exactly what is going on yet. I only noticed because my skimmer started freaking out cause the sump level got to high.

Unread 05/24/2016, 02:28 PM   #38
cincyjim
Registered Member

I really want to do this with the Apex DOS (dual head) but I'm afraid of a back syphon. Do you think that may have caused the over dosing?

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
Unread 05/24/2016, 02:33 PM   #39
adova
Premium Member

No - first because it was technically a forward siphon, I think . Secondly, it stopped on its own each time. I will be running a calibration and let you know ASAP, though.

However, it is a good idea to use solenoids on any AWC system, IMO.

Shawn

Unread 05/24/2016, 02:43 PM   #40
cincyjim
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with solenoids and how they work... more research coming. I appreciate you providing feedback on this! Thanks!

Unread 05/24/2016, 03:42 PM   #41
adova
Premium Member

Pretty simply. For our hobby, it is an electronic valve that is typically a 1/4" input and output. For this application, you want one that is normally closed. Then, when you apply power to it, it opens and allows water (or supplements or whatever) to go through. You set the apex to have it turn on whenever the DoS is operational. That way it will be closed when not in use and avoid a siphon opportunity.

They run about $10 or so and come in a variety of voltages. I prefer 120v so I do not need to buy a power supply. They can only be used on the EB4 or the #4 and #8 outlets of the EB8.

Shawn

Unread 05/24/2016, 03:45 PM   #42
adova
Premium Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-110-120V...item460b64bbea

Unread 05/24/2016, 06:34 PM   #43
cincyjim
Registered Member

Very good, thanks. I hate to keep asking questions but how do I wire to it? I see it has a male prong on it so I'm gathering I need a plug wire with a female end to connect to it. any idea where I can one of those at?

Unread 05/24/2016, 07:14 PM   #44
adova
Premium Member

usually, I find that it is cheaper to just cut off the male end of an extension cord with whatever length of wire you need. Some come with wires and others with posts like in the link. For the posts, just get a couple of female spade crimp on connectors and you are good to go (home depot).

Unread 05/24/2016, 07:28 PM   #45
cincyjim
Registered Member

Okay I think I got it now. I was thinking I had to cut off the female end of the extension cord so I would be able to use the male end to plug into the EB8. Is that not correct?

Unread 05/24/2016, 07:41 PM   #46
adova
Premium Member

that is correct - I just was not clear

Unread 05/24/2016, 07:48 PM   #47
cincyjim
Registered Member

Awesome! I read your post again and I see how I confused what you were saying. I truly appreciate the help and patience!

Unread 05/25/2016, 07:38 AM   #48
Theokie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtime23 View Post
What I don't understand is how a peristalic pump could siphon...the rollers in the "stopped" position (when the pump is not functioning) should stop any movement of water within the tubing, no?

At any one time, at least one of the rollers should be compressing the tubing, no?

Help me understand how a DOS unit could cause a siphon, please.

This biggest issue that will allow siphon is the number of rollers and the material of the rollers.

The Dos Only runs two rollers, while this works, many of the higher end peristaltic run 3 to 6 rollers, with a two roller setup there is a chance that in a specific position it doesn't have the tube fully pinched. Its a rather small chance, and well I've never had my DOS loose siphon, as with AWC, you tend to do small frequent changes, so less time to loose siphon.

Neptune probably recommends that the source be below the pump for the off chance that you haven't replaced your tubing before it bursts.

Now Plastic rollers work, but they do not pinch the tubing any where near as tight as metal rollers and heavy duty poly housings. But then again there is a reason that these aren't used, as the heavy duty commercial and lab grabe pumps cost 4x more then these.

Theokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 07:46 AM   #49
Theokie
Registered Member

Quote:
That is the incorrect solenoid, as for this low pressure system you want one that does not use a pressure differential to assist the opening.

Please go with this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Gravity-...item45fb8709ee And get proper hose to tubing adapters.

I have used almost every solenoid from this vendor, as I have aquariums, hydroponics and aquaponics... and each different model has a different use.

Also the push to connect fittings on the 1/4 one are really awful, but one with proper threaded fittings, and then get proper thread to push connect for your tubing, or barbs, what ever you prefer.

Even with a high pressure diaphragm pump on my top off system the "normal" valves need a few seconds to open as the supply side builds up pressure, where as the gravity fed rated ones open instantly.

Another consideration when using solenoids and peristatltics is the use of a pre filter... sediment can really decrease the life of your pump tubing as well as sediment can also cause your solenoid to no longer seal tightly... both issues have caused me floods in the past and have been fixed by using 5 micron cartridge filters after my storage vessels.

Theokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2016, 11:36 AM   #50
cincyjim
Registered Member

There is so much to learn... you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks for the help!