Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2018, 04:32 PM   #51
mattgumaer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchar View Post
The install info from Ecotech says you will need to increase light by approx 25% to compensate for the addition of the diffuser.
Is that a 25% increase from your current level or is it an additional 25%?
i.e. if at 40%, do I go to 50% (25% of 40 is 10, so 40+10=50) or do I go from 40% to 65% (40=25=65)
I've got to believe its the first. Suppose you had your lights at 1% and you now increased them by an absolute 25% to a total of 26%. Things would be a lot brighter.

My diffusers arrive tomorrow. I'm limited to hanging my lights about 9 inches above the tank for structural reasons. I'm hoping the diffusers will even out my lighting somewhat, reducing par hot spots directly below the pucks. I run three gen 2 pros over a 180 (with 4 t5s as well).

I plan to take 'before and after' par measurements to minimize the guess work. However, I'm assuming that, if the diffusers work as anticipated, that it will be impossible to match existing par across the tank since after installation, I would guess: 1) recreating equal par right under the pucks would mean more par towards the edges of the tank; and 2) recreating equal par toward the edges of the tank will mean less par right under the pucks. I plan to shoot for the latter (same par at edges, less par directly under pucks) and then maybe ramp up the Radions over time about 10-15% assuming my par meter says I'm getting somewhat more par at the edges and somewhat less under the pucks. I don't run my Radions too high because of my t5s however.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 11:04 PM   #52
franchar
Registered Member

Thanks Matt. That makes sense.

Chuck

franchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 12:09 AM   #53
CoralNerd
Registered Member

I'm seeing guys go up 10% on power. 25% power increase is a lot especially if you're running Gen 4 pros.

The diffusers make the tank look really good, and I'm noticing improved colors on my corals.

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 09:55 AM   #54
bellis31
Registered Member

I just installed these on my XR30 Gen 3's but the fit is not as nice I would like. Anyone else having an issue making them fit tight??

I will say the par spread with the lenses installed is really nice... Tank looks great!

2 Radion G3's + Apex Jr Controller + WXM
bellis31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 11:34 AM   #55
franchar
Registered Member

As you install the 4 small screws on the outside corners, leave them a little loose until all 4 are in their slots then tighten them up.
When I first did mine I tightened them up 1 at a time. When I got to the last 1 it would not tighten up. The plate needed to be moved just a little for a nice fit.

I also suggest taking the light off to do the install rather than doing it whlle upside down on its mount.

franchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 04:35 PM   #56
bellis31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchar View Post
As you install the 4 small screws on the outside corners, leave them a little loose until all 4 are in their slots then tighten them up.
When I first did mine I tightened them up 1 at a time. When I got to the last 1 it would not tighten up. The plate needed to be moved just a little for a nice fit.

I also suggest taking the light off to do the install rather than doing it whlle upside down on its mount.
Thank you I'll make some adjustments.... Other than that I like them a lot!

Unread 11/17/2018, 06:48 PM   #57
tc2007
Registered Member

What's the long term verdict on these diffusers on coral growth and coloration? Specially on the G4's where the light is already supposed to be more spread out compared to the older versions? I am not too worried about disco effect or shimmer, just the growth and coloration.

Unread 11/19/2018, 12:14 PM   #58
bellis31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2007 View Post
What's the long term verdict on these diffusers on coral growth and coloration? Specially on the G4's where the light is already supposed to be more spread out compared to the older versions? I am not too worried about disco effect or shimmer, just the growth and coloration.
If you increase the intensity to make up for the loss of par these create it definitely gives you more even par measurements out on the edges!!

Unread 11/22/2018, 06:21 PM   #59
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
One thing I noticed is that you also appear to have substantial surface agitation, which can also cause greater "disco" effect. I would also agree that one's ability to notice "disco" varies quite a bit, and you appear to be susceptible to it (as noted that your compatriot didn't notice it).

It is widely noted that puck layouts of diodes tend to reduce "disco" compared to widely spread diodes, such as found in the ReefBreeders Photon V2. Not using secondary optics, or using reflectors (ex: Maxspect Razor) has also proven useful, probably because the wider cone of light more readily blends with surrounding brethren. Elevating the pucks would additionally reduce "disco" due to greater blending offered by moving the pucks (and their individual diodes) higher, and allowing the individual light "cones" space to blend. To relate this to the OP thread title, this is where I think the Radion diffuser will prove most useful - offering better color blending (and "softening" the light field) when the fixture cannot be elevated.

I can readily visualize any concept (don't need your assistance, but thanks) - adding pucks without changing the position of the light(s) in relation to the aquarium's surface will not necessarily reduce "disco". Now if putting the pucks closer together, or changing their diode optics is also employed, or reducing surface agitation, etc. is also employed then it is possible, again noting that not every aquarist views the same layout in the same manner.
The Photon 32V+ I have on my fuge has zero disco ball effect in my tank, as far as the diffuser goes, why don't the Radions use reflectors like the Mitra's do. Would make the problem mute.

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote