Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2014, 07:36 AM   #26
Powdermonkey
Registered Member

Thanks, please keep us updated with how the maintenance is. There is a state side company that was trying to become a vendor. I need to check with them on how that is going.

Powdermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2014, 08:52 AM   #27
Chrisrush
Registered Member

What model did you go with acesq?

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2014, 09:43 AM   #28
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
What model did you go with acesq?
I got the Extreme A3.

Unread 03/27/2014, 10:10 AM   #29
AJT
Registered Member

Following along

Current Tank Info: 380 Gallon, Lit by 12 G3 Pros
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2014, 04:54 AM   #30
Shakeeb
Registered Member

hello

hey buddy i have some questions...
1: is it noisy?
2: are ur perimeters stable all the time?
3: is easy to function, i mean like if u never used a calcium reactor before its not easy to keep it stable all the time specially the first days of the reactor.
did u put the perimeters and the drips and co2 bubbles once or u have to work on every day till its stable...
thank u for the review am waiting more for it...

Shakeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2014, 12:34 PM   #31
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeeb View Post
hey buddy i have some questions...
1: is it noisy?
2: are ur perimeters stable all the time?
3: is easy to function, i mean like if u never used a calcium reactor before its not easy to keep it stable all the time specially the first days of the reactor.
did u put the perimeters and the drips and co2 bubbles once or u have to work on every day till its stable...
thank u for the review am waiting more for it...
The unit has performed flawlessly since I obtained a good CO2 regulator, which I purchased from DaStaCo. It literally is a "set and forget" calcium reactor. I am very impressed with it.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it is very quiet. The only moving parts are the small eheim circulation pump which runs continuously and the peristaltic dosing pump which runs intermittently.

2. My calcium and alk have been rock solid. It takes a few days to dial it in and I do check my alk every week or so to see if it varies. I have a bunch of frags that are growing and I expect that I will need to turn up the controller to compensate.

3. The unit is very easy to set up and operate. There is no bubble counting, no need to adjust any flow rates, the controller handles it all. This is my first calcium reactor and I have had no problems. You test your alk, set the controller at a low number and test it again the next day and adjust up or down a small amount and repeat until you reach the desired alk level. Then you leave it alone.

One of the best features is that it will sound an alarm when you CO2 tank runs out. This safety feature prevented me going at least a week before my next alk check to find out that the reactor was not working and likely saved some corals from STNing.

Unread 06/03/2014, 02:47 PM   #32
Uncle Luke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
The unit has performed flawlessly since I obtained a good CO2 regulator, which I purchased from DaStaCo. It literally is a "set and forget" calcium reactor. I am very impressed with it.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, it is very quiet. The only moving parts are the small eheim circulation pump which runs continuously and the peristaltic dosing pump which runs intermittently.

2. My calcium and alk have been rock solid. It takes a few days to dial it in and I do check my alk every week or so to see if it varies. I have a bunch of frags that are growing and I expect that I will need to turn up the controller to compensate.

3. The unit is very easy to set up and operate. There is no bubble counting, no need to adjust any flow rates, the controller handles it all. This is my first calcium reactor and I have had no problems. You test your alk, set the controller at a low number and test it again the next day and adjust up or down a small amount and repeat until you reach the desired alk level. Then you leave it alone.

One of the best features is that it will sound an alarm when you CO2 tank runs out. This safety feature prevented me going at least a week before my next alk check to find out that the reactor was not working and likely saved some corals from STNing.
Wow. This thing sounds like its worth every penny. I wish it was available in the states.

Uncle Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2014, 12:39 AM   #33
Adamc1303
Registered Member

How much do they cost and where online can I see models to compare?

Thanks,

Adam

Unread 08/06/2014, 06:24 PM   #34
acesq
Registered Member

To look, go to H2oaquatics.co.uk. They don't really have the ability to ship to the US (at least not when I bought) so to buy contact Jurgen or Aissa at the manufacturer's website: aquamarinesupply.be

Unread 03/31/2015, 11:17 AM   #35
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Resurrecting an old thread. I just started using the Dastaco media in my RX. And Scott at Unique Corals is starting to import the Reactors.

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2015, 09:35 PM   #36
acesq
Registered Member

I replaced the ARM extra coarse with the DaStaCo media and have found that it may dissolve a bit quicker since my alk rose slightly after starting. No big deal with the DaStaCo controller, turned it down a bit and leveled it out right away. Love the reactor!

Unread 04/06/2015, 04:57 AM   #37
ebushrow
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a friend that imports these...let me know if you know what size you want and I can get you a $

ebushrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2015, 09:47 PM   #38
Sinekal
Registered Member

Now that this reactor has been in use for a few years by some I am curious about the longevity of the peristaltic pump. Has it required replacement, or become noisy over time?

Looking at the price of the reactors at Unique I am not so sure they are over priced assuming you plan to run a peristaltic pump, and if buying new was a requirement then these could come in cheaper than a cole-parmer alone. I plan to move to a reactor over time and this is looking more and more reasonable to me as I want to run a peristaltic pump combined with a rock solid regulator for consistency.

Sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2015, 12:43 AM   #39
acesq
Registered Member

I have had zero issues with mine. It's still my favorite piece of equipment. I highly recommend it if you stomach the cost.

Unread 11/06/2015, 11:36 AM   #40
Sinekal
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 06:40 AM   #41
DP Reef
Registered Member

Just got finished setting up mine. Had a few questions and one of the guys over at Aquarium Marine supply in Belgium emailed me the next day (on a Sunday) with a phone number to offer help. It ended up being user error on my part.

Is there any owner's thread?

DaStaco XtremA Model A-1

IMAG1736 (1).jpg

DP Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 12:01 PM   #42
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP Reef View Post
Just got finished setting up mine. Had a few questions and one of the guys over at Aquarium Marine supply in Belgium emailed me the next day (on a Sunday) with a phone number to offer help. It ended up being user error on my part.

Is there any owner's thread?

DaStaco XtremA Model A-1

Attachment 333112
Customer service on the DaStaCo is great. No owners thread that I'm aware of. This thread seems an appropriate place to post comments and experiences with them. How do you like it so far?

Unread 11/10/2015, 08:37 PM   #43
DP Reef
Registered Member

So far I like it better than dosing for sure (reason I went this route). My last tank had a 50g display with 30 gallon sump and I was using drew dosers with b-ionic 2 part. Using a dial here on the Dastaco is great and I find it easier then guessing the right dosing duration through an Apex, calibrating a ph probe or messing with bubble count like other calcium reactors. Paying a premium for that convenience though.

Only single negative is that I can hear the solenoid switching every few minutes and I've done a good job making my whole system quiet. How often is yours "clicking"? I thought about partially wrapping it, hoping to muffle the sound.

It is only 3 days though. Lets see how I am at day 30 in terms of getting stability and being to react to demand changes.

Unread 11/10/2015, 11:44 PM   #44
acesq
Registered Member

The solenoid does make a clicking noise every time it injects CO2. That is fairly frequently on my set up. Mine is in a dedicated sump room though so I don't hear it. I would definitely wrap it if I were you.

Unread 02/03/2016, 11:50 PM   #45
monkiboy
Registered Member

any new owners or updates from the existing owners? any photos of the reactors set up now and of the new controller?

monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2016, 10:32 PM   #46
DP Reef
Registered Member

I've gotten to a point where the clicking doesn't bother me anymore. There are instances where the alarm (constant beep) goes off when the venting of the co2 chamber doesn't reset quick enough. A bit of fidgeting and I somehow (no idea how) get the alarm to stop going off once a day when it vents. This has happened twice for me.

Aside from that, I think this reactor is great. I don't get low PH and it is easy to tune to match consumption. I like it better then dosing pumps for sure. Can't compare with the bubble counting method.

Unread 04/11/2016, 03:18 PM   #47
khngl123
Registered Member

Has anyone use the destaco media with ill effect? I've been battling stn on my sps and couldn't narrow down the issue after a few months. All parameters are within acceptable range. I have a buddy that also ran the same reactor(A3 Extrema) with destaco media and have the same thing happened to his sps. The stn started from the base and now also seeing the tip stn, any idea and opinion is appreciated.

khngl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 12:42 AM   #48
Pseudo69
Registered Member

Are these now made to run native 120VAC or you need a transformer or adapter? Thanks

Pseudo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 06:45 AM   #49
khngl123
Registered Member

You will need a step up transformer as the unit runs on 220VAC.

Unread 04/12/2016, 09:05 AM   #50
khngl123
Registered Member

Me and a couple of my friends been running the destaco reactor for a few months now without any issues. It's super easy to set up and dial in your alk/calcium level just by turning a knob on the controller. Two of us own the A3 Extrema and the other one i am not so sure about but it's a bigger model that he runs on the 900 gallons display. As for the support, I have to go thru Dave B at unique coral for any issue and had good response from them.