Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2018, 07:24 AM   #26
Timfish
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your problems! You'll probably need to do multiple big water changes and use polyfilters as mentioned above.

Unread 01/27/2018, 02:18 PM   #27
dougs280z
Registered Member

So it's definitely copper. Polyfilter pads turned blue overnight. How long should I leave the polyfilters in? Once they turn blue, are they done, or should I leave them in for a week before putting new ones in? I'm going to get some other copper absorber today and continue doing water changes but I first need to test to make sure my water changes aren't introducing the copper. Is it likely that the powerhead I found that was shocking me was most likely the culprit for the copper, or do you think it could be coming from something else?

dougs280z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 02:36 PM   #28
Drix
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs280z View Post
So it's definitely copper. Polyfilter pads turned blue overnight. How long should I leave the polyfilters in? Once they turn blue, are they done, or should I leave them in for a week before putting new ones in? I'm going to get some other copper absorber today and continue doing water changes but I first need to test to make sure my water changes aren't introducing the copper. Is it likely that the powerhead I found that was shocking me was most likely the culprit for the copper, or do you think it could be coming from something else?
I think doing water changes is going to be more useful than running filter pads. I'd start by doing a 50% and get on a heavy schedule for the next few weeks- I've been out of the loop for a bit but I'd be doing at least bi-weekly 25% changes after that- should get you somewhere around a 90% water removal by week 2. Your LR is going to absorb and be leeching copper for a while probably- that's when the filter pads are really going to shine as opposed to free standing copper in the system. Kent Marine makes a heavy metal filter media you might consider running in a canister filter too, it may help.

Sorry to hear about your corals- I had something similar happen when a marineland stealth blew up in my tank, it was hell to deal with and I'm not sure I ever really got back out in front of it.

Last edited by Drix; 01/27/2018 at 02:44 PM.
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote