Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2017, 01:07 PM   #1
kniquy
Registered Member

Top recommendations for Nano tank

I have been out of the hobby for almost 2 years (had 75g reef). With things at home not as crazy (daughter is getting older) i am plotting my return.

With space restraints i will likely look to a nano size tank (~30 gal). Ideally i would like a display of 30g with a 20g sump, but i have seen kind of an all in one tank with space in the back for a small amount of equipment and included lighting (ex biocube).

In one hand i like the idea of the all in one system, but i feel that restricted water volume and equipment space (skimmer heater etc) is a major draw back.

Tell me your pros and cons for these self contained systems -- should i consider or it is just a bad idea for a newbie to the nano world.

kniquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 02:36 PM   #2
nanosteve309
Registered Member

I currently have a Innovative Marine 30L which is an approximate 30 gallon tank with the filtration chambers built in. I have no problems with the AIO and it does its job in helping maintain my tank. There is plenty room in the back chamber for my IM ghost skimmer, heater, 2 media baskets, return pump, and my apex probe rack.

I however do which I had a larger display volume since the filtration in the back takes up quite a bit of water volume.

Pros: Clean design, filtration/media chambers hiding, more room in my stand for storage space.

Cons: Lose display volume, lower overall water volume (Figure you add a 20g sump you have a 50 g system)

nanosteve309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 03:55 PM   #3
christopherjudd
Registered Member

Red Sea reefer

christopherjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 04:53 PM   #4
extendedmango
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherjudd View Post
Red Sea reefer

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extendedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 11:00 PM   #5
BlueMarlin2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanosteve309 View Post
I currently have a Innovative Marine 30L which is an approximate 30 gallon tank with the filtration chambers built in. I have no problems with the AIO and it does its job in helping maintain my tank. There is plenty room in the back chamber for my IM ghost skimmer, heater, 2 media baskets, return pump, and my apex probe rack.

I however do which I had a larger display volume since the filtration in the back takes up quite a bit of water volume.

Pros: Clean design, filtration/media chambers hiding, more room in my stand for storage space.

Cons: Lose display volume, lower overall water volume (Figure you add a 20g sump you have a 50 g system)
I agree with steve the IM 30L is a great tank.

BlueMarlin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 02:00 PM   #6
jaking
Registered Member

I am looking to purchase the IM30L, how would you add a 20g sump? Drill a drain in the back Chambers or put a siphon box on the back?

jaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Tuffyyyyy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaking View Post
I am looking to purchase the IM30L, how would you add a 20g sump? Drill a drain in the back Chambers or put a siphon box on the back?
Not sure about that specific model but most Innovative Marine tanks have "black" versions that don't have sump. This would probably be the best way to accomplish your goal using IM.

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine 40 and 10
Tuffyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote