Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2018, 03:57 PM   #1
lat0403
Registered Member

A few questions regarding setting up an old tank again

Alright, so about 8 years ago I lost power for a week. When I got back into the house I took the tank down, stuck it all in a box and haven't had the heart to even deal with it again until recently. I'd like to set that tank back up, though. It's a 33 gallon long. At the time I didn't have the money to really get top of the line equipment and I'd like to rectify that this time around.

The light I was using is a 4 bulb 48" Nova Extreme T5 HO. This light was completely fine on a tank this shallow (12 inches), but if I remember correctly, it was a little loud and it's been at least 10 years since I bought it so I'm sure there are better options out there. So..

1. Better options for lighting? LED? I want to be able to keep the full range of corals, mostly softies and LPS but also some SPS, including acros.

-------------------------------

So next I want to ask about flow. Like I said above, I'm willing to drop the money on something top of the line if it gets me what I want (plenty of flow, small in-tank footprint). I have a couple of koralias but they're kind of bulky and I'm really not sure which ones they are or if they even still work. So...

2. Am I going to have any trouble with my sandbed if I use a gyre in such a shallow tank?
2a. If I go with a gyre, which one? My tank is only 12 inches wide, so it will have to be one narrow enough to fit. From what I've seen, it seems like I'm limited to the Icecap 1k or the Maxspect XF230, possibly the XF250 but it will be a tight fit.

2b. What about using 2 of them, one on each end of the tank? I'd rather not have the end closest to the gyre be blasted just so the flow can reach the other side of the tank.
3. As far as other powerheads, I like the Vortechs most so far, if for no other reason than the power cord being on the outside of the tank. Will 2 MP10's work, opposite corners of each end?

4. If not any of the above, what would you recommend?

lat0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 07:05 AM   #2
alton
Registered Member

Welcome back! Since your tank is several years old and has been dry I would look into a new tank since it will not break the bank before you spend several hundred dollars on new equipment. I have only 1 MP10 on my 65 gallon tank.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2018, 12:43 PM   #3
Nickfishman
Registered Member

check the tank before you set anything up. it probably needs to get resealed.

one mp10 will work plenty well.

for lighting you could also go the ecotech route with 2 radion XR15W G4 PROs, which them and the mp 10 can be controlled from ecotech's app, making them fully programmable to do pretty much anything.

Nickfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2018, 01:06 PM   #4
reefinmike
Registered Member

Welcome back! as others have said, before you go spending money on new equipment, it would probably be a smart idea to reseal that tank. or even better- buy a new one. a 33 long is a good size for a frag tank lit by t5 but generally not a very good size for your display reef. odd proportions, difficult to light cheaply and give proper flow. A 40 breeder makes for a good looking reef, it can be lit with one LED pretty easily and can fit a larger gyre pump. plus they are actually more like 47 gallons and pet supplies plus in my area has them on their $1/gallon sale. you cant beat it for $40!

and certainly go with the gyre pump, I've been a koralia guy for years and I can say one $160 icecap 3k gyre easily replaced the 4 $70 1350gph koralias in my 90 gallon as well as opens up two outlets on my apex eb832. even the very back corners behind rocks are getting just the right amount of flow to keep even sps happy while keeping the sand in place. I couldn't be happier with it.

Unread 09/22/2018, 09:50 PM   #5
reefinmike
Registered Member

err scratch that, their $1 per gallon sale is now limited to 29g and under. They said bigger tanks are 40% off. I bought another 40b today and it rung up 49.99. which still isnt bad at all. good chance to start with a fresh tank for cheap

Unread 09/25/2018, 02:05 PM   #6
lat0403
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have been using the tank for a lizard so it's been well taken care of but now that you have all mentioned it, I will definitely at least reseal it if that is the tank I go with.

Now that I'm thinking about the tank though, I think I might go bigger. I originally planned to use the 33 again because my stand was custom built and is taller than a normal stand would be just to accommodate for the (lack of) tank height. A 55 would be the same dimensions other than height so if I could still reach in easy enough, there's no reason not to go up to that. I never really minded the challenges the shallow tank created but there's no reason not to upgrade that if I'm already willing to upgrade the rest of the equipment.

My car isn't big enough to haul a 55 (or anything bigger than a 10 tbh) so I'll have to borrow a car but it seems worth it.

This does create new questions, though. Seems like the 3k gyre or 1 mp10 will still work but what about the recommendation for the 2 radion XR15W G4 PROs?

lat0403 is offline   Reply With Quote