Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2017, 09:14 AM   #26
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goby go View Post
I've got 1x 6200 that is from 2012/11 w/ retro'ed 6200 clusters, 1x 6200 w/ 2013/11 date code, all have been running for years! Great lights, just recently added a third 6200 over my 240g!

Absolutely no issues, great lights!!!
Good to know!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 10:39 AM   #27
Cristina@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunk View Post
Ahh perfect. It's usually 3 days to Jersey? So am I looking at Monday for arrival?
Yes, They are awaiting our afternoon pick up. You should have received Tracking this morning, which estimated delivery Monday.

Cristina@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 04:34 PM   #28
david76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I have both versions here and I greatly prefer the color of the corals under the LX7. On the LX7, there is one less white channel that really ins't needed and that channel is replaced with the 385nm UV channel which can help colors in corals fluoresce a bit more and is a spectrum that is absent in the LX6200. The LX7 also has the benefit of a built in WiFi controller making it easy to connect to MyGHL which allows you to control the light from anywhere as well as from your smart phone. While you can't currently modify a project in MyGHL, you can change the color and intensity of the light from MyGHL. There are other benefits of the LX7 too but for me, those are the key ones. If I had to choose between the two, it's a no brainer. The LX7 improves upon an already great light (LX6200).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotang View Post
i think it would be worth while to spend the extra cash and get the latest fixture. its nice that the new LX 7 has Violet and Ultra Violet, the 6200 only has Violet.

Thanks for your responses. Maybe I decide to upgrade only the clusters. Cheaper option unless wifi controller and other improvements wont be available.

david76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 07:07 PM   #29
Jmunk
Registered Member

My ceiling is angled, so I can't really get the height from the water surface I would like. My 6 bulb ATI is 7 inches from the water. I could probably get the Mitras an inch or two higher. Do you guys think this is gonna be problematic? Obviously I'd have to probably run at a lower intensity.

Unread 02/01/2017, 08:05 PM   #30
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunk View Post
My ceiling is angled, so I can't really get the height from the water surface I would like. My 6 bulb ATI is 7 inches from the water. I could probably get the Mitras an inch or two higher. Do you guys think this is gonna be problematic? Obviously I'd have to probably run at a lower intensity.
It should be ok. The only thing the mitras dont have over ATIs is the ability to tilt forward or back from wires. This could easily be accomplished if they put two mounting screws on the left and two on the right with a wire like assembly like ATI uses.

The mount Slief uses is awesome but requires something to mount it to. You will just have to measure once, twice, and maybe even thrice before you start making holes in your ceiling.

I suggest using these if you want a fast easy job mounting stuff in your ceiling!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor...5216/100185538

I use those for small jobs, hanging pictures on the walls or lights from the ceiling. I dont even check for studs because the metal ones drill into studs too.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 08:22 PM   #31
scuzy
Registered Member

When is your Mitras coming in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 08:51 PM   #32
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
When is your Mitras coming in?

Mine?

Unread 02/01/2017, 08:55 PM   #33
scuzy
Registered Member

Oh sorry was referring to jmunk

Unread 02/01/2017, 09:05 PM   #34
Jmunk
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh sorry was referring to jmunk

Monday!

Only thing I'm real nervous about is being able to mount it at the right angle/height. I REALLY did not think about that when placing my tank below this close angled ceiling (was my first ever tank, so I'll cut myself a break).

Unread 02/01/2017, 09:28 PM   #35
scuzy
Registered Member

You could always rig floating canopy can't you?

Unread 02/02/2017, 06:14 PM   #36
Jmunk
Registered Member

Quote:
You could always rig floating canopy can't you?

Unfortunately not. I'll have to wait and see when I get my lights. I'll make a new thread and see if anyone has any suggestions on how to do it. (don't wanna highjack this thread).

I'm excited to see the results/projects soon to be shared here!

Unread 02/03/2017, 06:17 AM   #37
d2mini
Registered Member

I added another PAR graphic to the first post of this thread.
100% power, all channels.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 02/03/2017, 11:16 PM   #38
slief
RC Sponsor

Really loving these Mitras. This is the end of sunset phase just before the lights went out tonight. The colors in the tank are spectacular. These pictures do no justice. Especially the full tank shot that is much more blue than the deeper purple look it has in person.

These two pictures are a bit closer to what I see.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 11:21 PM   #39
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Really loving these Mitras. This is the end of sunset phase just before the lights went out tonight. The colors in the tank are spectacular. These pictures do no justice. Especially the full tank shot that is much more blue than the deeper purple look it has in person.

These two pictures are a bit closer to what I see.

I really can't wait for mine to show up. I ordered one for my new display and next month I will order one for the frag tank.

Unread 02/04/2017, 07:29 AM   #40
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Do you think one light would be enough for a 36" wide tank?

SkyReptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 09:36 AM   #41
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReptiles View Post
It would. I have one over my 36" wide frag tank. You will need to raise it up a bit. I would suggest having it 12-14" above the water.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/04/2017, 10:00 AM   #42
ReefRockerLive
GHL Mitras LX7 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReptiles View Post
A single fixture will cover a 36" tank without a problem. I know because my tank is 36".

Ultimately, it depends on what kind of coral you have. If you have a mixed reef, 1 fixture will provide enough light. If you have an SPS dominant tank, 2 fixtures will provide the best coverage and power for SPS.

Current Tank Info: Rimless 67g | GHL Profilux 3.1T eX | 2x GHL Doser 2 dosers | 2xGHL Mitras LX7 LED | Abyzz a100 | Bubble King DC 150 | 2x Vortech MP40w QD | Fauna Marin Zeomatic 2.2ltr | Fauna Marin Zeolight System | Fauna Marin Balling Light Method
ReefRockerLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 10:16 AM   #43
d2mini
Registered Member

I concur with everything these two gentlemen said ^^^.

Unread 02/04/2017, 04:02 PM   #44
SkyReptiles
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply, and thank you for making this thread. You've helped me decide what lights to buy.

SkyReptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 10:23 AM   #45
mlew
Registered Member

Any initial thoughts on shadowing? Is the spread of the pucks enough to not need T5 supplementation?

I plan on adding T5s to supplement my Kessil due to shadowing. I've been eyeing the LX7, but haven't seen much out there on this issue.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 11:37 AM   #46
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlew View Post
Any initial thoughts on shadowing? Is the spread of the pucks enough to not need T5 supplementation?

I plan on adding T5s to supplement my Kessil due to shadowing. I've been eyeing the LX7, but haven't seen much out there on this issue.

Thanks!

I think the LX7 is going to be a very good option for running LED with no supplementation. But your question doesn't really have a one size fits all answer. Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc.

My tank unfortunately is too small and too young yet to give you an answer based on my own experience.
Slief and others with more established tanks may be able to chime in though.

Unread 02/05/2017, 12:35 PM   #47
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I think the LX7 is going to be a very good option for running LED with no supplementation. But your question doesn't really have a one size fits all answer. Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc.

My tank unfortunately is too small and too young yet to give you an answer based on my own experience.
Slief and others with more established tanks may be able to chime in though.
I agree with everything you said. Particularly: "Too many variables exist like how many LX7's, the size of your tank, hanging height, your aquascaping, your corals, etc."

Unread 02/05/2017, 04:18 PM   #48
mlew
Registered Member

I hear you, lots of variables to consider and several ways to reduce shadowing. Just looking at the spread of the pucks, logic tells me there would be less shadowing compared one to one against a Kessil or any other dual puck fixture.

I guess I'd like someone to travel forward in time and say, yep no additional supplementation needed with the mitras. 😀

mlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 04:51 PM   #49
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I hear you, lots of variables to consider and several ways to reduce shadowing. Just looking at the spread of the pucks, logic tells me there would be less shadowing compared one to one against a Kessil or any other dual puck fixture.

I guess I'd like someone to travel forward in time and say, yep no additional supplementation needed with the mitras. 😀

There is definitely much better & more even spread from the 6 puck arrangement.

Unread 02/05/2017, 05:01 PM   #50
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:

This is one of the reasons I am switching to Mitras. The placement of the clusters makes for a more even distribution of light from the LEDs compared to that of other fixtures.