Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/29/2008, 12:38 PM   #1
customcolor
Registered Member

1 or pair for the first?

i have had a tank that was set up befor summer that i wanted to do sea horse in and was wondering if i can do 1 in at a time or do i kneed to do a pair at first?

46 bow

Last edited by customcolor; 11/29/2008 at 01:28 PM.
customcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 06:36 PM   #2
ann83
Registered Member

As long as you are getting the seahorses from the same breeder, you can add them one at a time. But, they are social fish and you'll get more activity out of them in a pair. And save on shipping costs buying them both at once too

ann83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 06:47 PM   #3
customcolor
Registered Member

they would be from a lfs and they are tank raised and i have seen them eat.

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
Unread 11/29/2008, 06:53 PM   #4
ann83
Registered Member

In that case, I would definitely get them both at once. Your risk of disease is already high enough getting them tank raised, so you don't want the risk of mixing the sources to add to it (which might happen if you wait and add later). Plus, I personally would rather get the deworming treatment done all in one go instead of having to QT and deworm them both separately.

Unread 11/29/2008, 07:33 PM   #5
customcolor
Registered Member

deworming? inlighten me on that please

Great stuff====$5 a can
24-48 hour cure
Epoxy to cover it====little as $5 for small projects or up to $100+ for larger projects
and another 24-48 hour cure
I hope you covered it well cuz if you didnt it will start to break down in a few months
sand is another added cost to cover up the yellow.

Pond foams====$9-$15 a can
24-48 hour cure
DONE! You can cover it with sand if you want to (YOU DONT HAVE TO) though but thats added cost again

Current Tank Info: 75 gal under way
Unread 11/29/2008, 07:40 PM   #6
ann83
Registered Member

Treatment for parasites that WC and TR seahorses tend to come in with. A full deworming protocol is 9 weeks in QT, with deworming meds fed out in live brine shrimp once a week (two meals of it on that one day). Three weeks with praziquantel, three weeks with fenbendazole, and three weeks with metronidazole. Thats the advantage of buying CB from a reputable breeder; no deworming needed.

Unread 11/29/2008, 11:35 PM   #7
PAULNOTB
Registered Member

I agree with ann833, buy them at the same time. Where are the horses from? If they are from a local breeder you may not have to deworm but if they are from one of the big wholesalers then you be prepared to medicate. Paul

PAULNOTB is offline   Reply With Quote