Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2018, 01:37 PM   #1
DougSupreme
Registered Member

180 gallon plywood build thread

So, it seems that I have gotten permission to upgrade my tank. I currently have a 75 gallon mixed Reef. My original plan was to build a tank with twice the footprint of my existing tank in the same location. My wife decided she would rather have it located in our family room, as opposed to our kitchen / dining room. I am going to attempt Chronicle the entire build from start to finish, and hopefully I do a good enough job that my wife is happy. Here goes nothing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef
DougSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 01:41 PM   #2
DougSupreme
Registered Member

This is my current 75-gallon tank. It currently houses seven fish and an eel. I know that I am heavily stocked, but I purchased some of the fish in anticipation of this build. Lighting is provided by two 165 watt LED black boxes which will, at minimum, double when the new tank is built.

Flow is provided by the return pump, one MP40, and two Korallia powerheads. The skimmer will be upgraded as well as the size of the sump.

Last edited by DougSupreme; 05/15/2018 at 10:46 PM.
Unread 05/13/2018, 01:46 PM   #3
DougSupreme
Registered Member

The new location of the tank will be to the left of the TV. In order for everything to look balanced, we need to move the TV to the right, towards the fireplace. The cabinet under the TV will be replaced with a custom Cabinet to match the fish tank and create one cohesive unit. The new fish tank will have a footprint of 4 ft wide by 3ft deep and a height of 24 in. Flow will be provided by a Jebao 9000 as a return pump, and likely a Jebao 12000 as a closed-loop pump with four Outlets fitted with random flow generating eductors. Potentially, I will either build or purchase an Ocean's motion type device for the closed-loop.

I am going to utilize a bean animal drain system with an external Coast-to-Coast overflow on the 4ft side. I will be building the tank, stand, and canopy from scratch. My plan is to build and stain it to match the rest of the furniture in the room

Last edited by DougSupreme; 05/15/2018 at 10:48 PM.
Unread 05/13/2018, 01:47 PM   #4
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Also, since this project is just now getting started, I am open to any suggestions or improvements within my budget.

Unread 05/14/2018, 04:50 PM   #5
Jack5746
Registered Member

I built a 400 gallon system using 3/4" plywood with 1/2" starfire, used liquid rubber and rolled on six coats, let that setup about two weeks then i used black epoxy paint and coated it six times and let that set up for a couple of months. Ended up putting a 4" plywood brace down half the sides and along the entire front because of bowing. I put the back of the tank up against the wall so it didnt bow. Only leak i had was at the top right corner where the glass mated up agai st the wood, and that was caused by an air bubble in the silicone. I used a festool dominio cutter and dominioes to strengthen thecorners and bottom of the tank. Used screws every two inches and my stand i used 2x6 inch wood. Shut it down cause it got algae really bad after two powerheads quit working. Getting ready to set it up again. Good luck and the key is take your time dont rush it.

Jack5746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 07:17 PM   #6
DougSupreme
Registered Member

So, today, because I'd rather overbuild than underbuild (and my wife wouldn't enjoy the floor falling in), I beefed up the floor underneath the tank location. I added two posts on solid concrete blocks and built a laminated "beam" to help support the extra weight of the tank.

It was cheap insurance against a catastrophic failure.

Next....I start building the tank itself....

Unread 05/14/2018, 08:41 PM   #7
d-man
Registered Member

Honestly, you may be better off buying your 180 then building it. It’s not as cost effective at smaller “standard” sized tanks.

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 02:08 PM   #8
ColorFish777
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
Honestly, you may be better off buying your 180 then building it. It’s not as cost effective at smaller “standard” sized tanks.
100% agree...by the time you buy the wood, pond shield epoxy, glass panel is gonna cost way more than a standard 180 glass tank.

Plus the one you build could possibly leak and upset the lady of the house.

ColorFish777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 02:10 PM   #9
DougSupreme
Registered Member

I'm not building a standard 180. The ones I've found are $1500

It may end up being closer to 250 when it's built.

My problem is, it's going to be roughly 4'x3'

Unread 05/15/2018, 05:04 PM   #10
d-man
Registered Member

I’ve built 2 large 800g plus tanks. Done correctly they could last an extremely long time. I would trust them more than standard glass tanks at that size for sure. Once I move I’ll be building another 1000g plywood build. I’ve already started gathering my supplies

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2018, 03:29 PM   #11
DougSupreme
Registered Member

Now that I fiddled with the plywood sizes, it looks like this tank is going to be approximately 225 gallons. Otherwise I'm going to waste plywood.... Now if I can just explain that to the wife