Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2018, 09:15 PM   #1
teddscau
Registered Member

Red Slime Attacked Me!

So, for years I've been trying to find out what it was that injured me while I was diving.

More than ten years ago, I was diving in Curaçao. While exploring, I almost crashed into an anemone (maybe it was an urchin?), so I put my hand on the sand bed to avoid getting stung. However, the sand had this gooey red slime on it (I was wondering what it was earlier during the dive as I kept seeing large patches of what looked like a bunch of blood that had settled on the sand), and I got it all over my hand. I started to panic a bit because I had no clue if it was toxic, so I quickly wiped my hands together to get it off.

As I swam away, I stared at my hands, worried that I was going to need first aid. I had swum at least ten feet when I noticed these strange spikes/barbs floating towards my hand. I can't really remember, but I think they might have been brown, and they were one or two centimetres long. I watched as they floated towards my fingers, then imbedded themselves in my flesh. I think there were three or four of them? At this point, I was extremely freaked out, and without thinking, I wiped my hands together to dislodge them.

By now, I was really worried, but I wasn't experiencing any sort of pain or discomfort. When I swam to the surface, I noticed my fingers had cuts in them from the spikes/barbs. They weren't bleeding, and they didn't hurt. If anything there might have been a really mild burning sensation.

The drive instructor said I'd touched fire coral, but after reading about fire coral, I learnt that it was supposed to cause excruciating pain when touched, and that it had a skeleton. What I'd touched way gooey, and I didn't remember feeling a skeleton—just gooey sand.

The barbs had clearly followed me, and no, it wasn't from the current generated from swimming. I had scares for a couple of months, but I was otherwise fine.

Do you guys know what it was that I touched?

teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Evg07
Registered Member

Interesting story I'll just +1 myself to the story and hope someone has an answer.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Evg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 02:02 AM   #3
flacousa
Registered Member

I too will like to see an answer to your question

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flacousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 08:43 AM   #4
sdweller
Registered Member

Sure sounds like a reaction to fire coral . I too will wait to see if anyone has a answer .
Sea Dwellers

sdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 11:30 AM   #5
teddscau
Registered Member

Darn, no answers, eh? Honestly, it didn't really hurt though. I'm really sensitive to any sort of stings (I could use my hand for a week after I got stung by a bee), but I was fine after accidentally touching the slime. I read that fire coral is supposed to be excruciatingly painful, but at most I felt a warm tingling sensation.

teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2018, 06:57 PM   #6
flacousa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddscau View Post
Darn, no answers, eh? Honestly, it didn't really hurt though. I'm really sensitive to any sort of stings (I could use my hand for a week after I got stung by a bee), but I was fine after accidentally touching the slime. I read that fire coral is supposed to be excruciatingly painful, but at most I felt a warm tingling sensation.

Last October I went on snorkeling tour to John Pennekamp state park to see the statue of Christ of the Abyss and before leaving the boat got a warning from the Captain to refrain from hugging Jesus because the statue is covered in fire coral, he said it was OK to high five because the palm of the hands didn't have any from so many people touching it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flacousa is offline   Reply With Quote