Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/10/2018, 10:36 AM   #1
candymancan
Registered Member.

was i right to not buy this acrylic tank ??

Hey guyd. ive always had glass tanks and i prefer them to be honest. But i was looking at this 55-60 gallon hexagon acrylic tank made by tru vue, never heard of em ?

Anyway. the tank didnt have any scratchs from what i could tell.. It did look a little foggy but i dunno if thats because it was empty and they were just old water stains or not, as glass tanks look like that as well when drained. He offered to fill it up.. but i declined because he was going to use 30f hose water from outside....

When looking st the corners of the tank two bottom front corners had crazing. About 3 inchs up from thr bottom and about 1 inch long or so.

It looked like how cheap plastic drinking glasses from the dollar store end up like. Spider web micro cracks.

The tank was 150 and i bet i could get 100$ for it... Was i right to pass or should i have gotten the tank ? because its hard finding hexagon tanks above 42 gallons

Last edited by candymancan; 12/10/2018 at 10:42 AM.
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 02:04 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I would not use a tank that had crazing.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 03:34 PM   #3
West1
Registered Member

On freshwater aquariums you can get away with bubbling edges. On reefs or setups with wave makers I pay more attention to the corners as pulsing water adds pressure to the acrylic or glass pane.

I would of passed as well...

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 05:38 PM   #4
candymancan
Registered Member.

It just sucks.. Its nearly impossible to find a 55+ hexagon i looked everywhere...

Unread 12/10/2018, 06:15 PM   #5
West1
Registered Member

Have you tried Craigslist or Offerup?

If you do some google searching, you can find ways to repair the seams of the tank. A bit of work but you'll get the oddball tank you are looking for.

GL

West1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 08:15 PM   #6
candymancan
Registered Member.

fb marketplace and craigslist ive tried for awhile all i find are the 27-42 hexagons

Unread 12/11/2018, 01:10 PM   #7
candymancan
Registered Member.

i found a glass hexagon with top and matching black stand for 25$...... Doesnt leak she said he son never took care of the fish so she drained it and its been sitting.

She doesnt habe the measurements as shes at work but judging from the ligjt fixture which looks like a 24 inch fixture for a duel 55g tank its a 25 inch wide point to point hex.. which is 42 gallons.

Do you think itd be worth going from my 27g hex to a 42g hex or should i wait for a 55+.

it is only 25$ lol

Unread 12/11/2018, 09:08 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I have a dual 6 sided tank hexagon with two tubes connecting them, it was made by Tru Vue.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote