Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2017, 08:21 AM   #1
wake125122
Registered Member

Yellow Finger Gorg

So I am trying to figure out if Yellow & Red Finger Gorg are compatable with sea horses. I have seen a lot of contridicting things about this. Some places like seahorses.com say they are not and are a threat lvl of 4 vs other sites that say they are and they are only a threat lvl of 1-2. Does anyone have any with their sea horses and do they have any issues? Why would these be a threat?

wake125122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 08:54 AM   #2
nutbar29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake125122 View Post
So I am trying to figure out if Yellow & Red Finger Gorg are compatable with sea horses. I have seen a lot of contridicting things about this. Some places like seahorses.com say they are not and are a threat lvl of 4 vs other sites that say they are and they are only a threat lvl of 1-2. Does anyone have any with their sea horses and do they have any issues? Why would these be a threat?

IMO.....It’s not that they are a threat to seahorses. It’s that the seahorses are a threat to them but yes you can keep them with seahorses. I know lots of people that have them together. Here’s a picture of someone I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 08:56 AM   #3
wake125122
Registered Member

Awesome! Ya I just wanted to make sure they didn't sting or something. I couldnt find a straight answer anywhere.

wake125122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 10:08 PM   #4
devildog999
That Guy

That looks... not good lol

devildog999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 10:50 AM   #5
jd371
Registered Member

I don't have seahorses and just stumbled onto this thread and I'm curious. I thought that Seahorses needed a little bit of flow and that Gorgonians need a a lot of flow. I would think the Gorgonian wouldn't last long without a lot of flow to keep Algae off and also be able to shed.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2017, 07:06 PM   #6
nutbar29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd371 View Post
I don't have seahorses and just stumbled onto this thread and I'm curious. I thought that Seahorses needed a little bit of flow and that Gorgonians need a a lot of flow. I would think the Gorgonian wouldn't last long without a lot of flow to keep Algae off and also be able to shed.

Seahorses can tolerate more flow then people think. There just has to be an area in the tank with slower flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nutbar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2017, 08:45 AM   #7
rayjay
Registered Member

The higher flow allows for longer time for uneaten food/detritus to get picked up by filtration which then needs frequent cleaning to control bacterial growth.
The main thing with seahorses is to have NO flow/blast that can direct a seahorse against something and be damaged.
Hitching in areas of low, medium and high flow will allow them to choose where they actually want to be at any given time.

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote