Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2019, 08:29 PM   #1
Mikegray
Registered Member

Iwaki MD-40RT or Iwaki MD-40RXT????

looking for a Mixing station Pump also it has to be able to pump 40ft down the hall on the same level. just a long run on the floor and up to the rim of my tank.

The RXT has has more GPH at 1344 with 15ft head height.

The RT has less GPH at 822 with 21ft head height. but burns more Electricity.

The pump will only be on to pump RO to salt tank and mix the salt for 24 hours straight. Then id use the pump to pump to the display. thats it. I dont plan on using the pump to keep salt mixed 24/7.

people with experience with these pumps maybe might say i dont even need that much power which can save me money. Im not sure how much GPH i actually need to mix salt water. The Norwesco tanks are only 40 gallons. ill be mixing 25 gallons at a time. tanks are 18x42 at 40 gallons.

i just do not want to invest in a pump and find out i cant find my tank down the hall. less wattage is better for me in California!

im totally open to other suggestions those of you with lots of experience

Mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:05 PM   #2
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I have the Japanese 30 Pressure pump, mine has an off center return, it you are using flexible tubing no problem if you are OCD and want to hard plumb it with Sch. 80 big problem. The return points at 1:00 on a clock, not 12 or 3 or 9.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Mikegray
Registered Member

Ya I saw pics. I've read it can be unscrewed and rotated. I'm OCD. Hard plumbing. If that's the case. I'll get pan world. But

Unread 04/17/2019, 10:06 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

For a mixing station, you are better off with the flow version than the pressure version since you will get more flow and use less power since it effectively acts as a closed loop system which means very little head pressure. This assuming you’re not reducing the output size on the pump or restricting the intake size.

And why mix salt for 24 hours straight? When I mix salt, I hit a button which turns my pump on for 1 hour. This is to mix a 50 gallon bag of salt in a half full 100 gallon mixing tank which is plenty to mix my IO salt into the newly added RODI water. I mean there is nothing wrong with running it for 24 hours but I think it’s overkill and a waste of power unless your salt doesn’t mix well. In my case, my mixing pump automatically comes on every 3 hours and runs for 15 minutes then shuts back off to keep the water “fresh”. My water changes are automatic and change out 5 gallons a day in 1 gallon increments spread over 24 hours so as long as the water is fresh/not stagnant, that’s all that matters to me. I rarely if ever do big water changes. No need for that for me.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2019, 11:21 PM   #5
Mikegray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
For a mixing station, you are better off with the flow version than the pressure version since you will get more flow and use less power since it effectively acts as a closed loop system which means very little head pressure. This assuming you’re not reducing the output size on the pump or restricting the intake size.

And why mix salt for 24 hours straight? When I mix salt, I hit a button which turns my pump on for 1 hour. This is to mix a 50 gallon bag of salt in a half full 100 gallon mixing tank which is plenty to mix my IO salt into the newly added RODI water. I mean there is nothing wrong with running it for 24 hours but I think it’s overkill and a waste of power unless your salt doesn’t mix well. In my case, my mixing pump automatically comes on every 3 hours and runs for 15 minutes then shuts back off to keep the water “fresh”. My water changes are automatic and change out 5 gallons a day in 1 gallon increments spread over 24 hours so as long as the water is fresh/not stagnant, that’s all that matters to me. I rarely if ever do big water changes. No need for that for me.

not sure why. i thought that was ideal to make sure it was all mixed and salinity is stable.. if it could be less even better do it all in a half day. the reason i cant decide what works is because the mixing will be a closed loop. but like i mentioned when i use the pump to pump 40 feet across my hallway to my display. i definitely want it to make it and be able to fill. The closed loop will be the same size.. the filling of the tank i was thinking 5/8" RV drinking hose. id like to do 1/2 for smaller to roll up but i think that would restrict it to much..

Unread 04/26/2019, 07:54 PM   #6
Mikegray
Registered Member

Bump any more ideas or opinions. I'm dreading buying the wrong one. I'm thinking if scrapping the idea and just mix and do the ol bucket fill.and carry method and drop a pump/powerhead in just to mix the 30 gallons.