Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2017, 03:37 PM   #176
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yep was thinking morning. I'm going to do some pre trimming so that getting the rocks and corals out will be quicker. Hour or so to move out the old and in with the new. It's pretty much just a 20' straight shot. Then the rest of the day to put it all back together again.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 07:29 AM   #177
LQT
Registered Member

Hey Simon, make sure to post on this thread the night before so I could get an email reminder!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2017, 08:45 AM   #178
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Will do, thx.

Test filling this week.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 10/13/2017, 11:02 AM   #179
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Good news: happy to report, tank holds water .....

Bad news: down a tank-lugger as my teen son had an appendectomy this week ..... and cannot lift anything more than 10 lbs. for a month. Teenagers

Unread 10/13/2017, 07:34 PM   #180
Maritimer
Registered Member

Ouch - sorry to hear that!

My own son won't be able to make it either - he's signed up for a class that won't have another opening until next year at the earliest.

~Bruce

Zoey's Reef has come to life! Zoas, 'shrooms and LPS of several sorts, CUC, dartfish, wrasses and others swim above the sand . . .

Current Tank Info: Kingston & Zoey's Reef; 220g, Deltec skimmer, 2 MaxSpect Gyre x-50s, 2,500gph or so through the sump. SPS are surviving . . .
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 09:28 AM   #181
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

These pictures were lost to those photobucket extortionists ..... or is contortionsists ..... anyhooo, completely obvious why I 'need' a bigger tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0277_zps1c1cff87.jpg (46.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0667_zps33003abe.jpg (73.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0931_zpsd4205ae6.jpg (73.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (71.5 KB, 130 views)

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:35 PM   #182
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Less than a week until the change over. Spent a few hours today throughly washing 160 pounds of sand; a stunningly tedious task I must say.

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:39 PM   #183
LQT
Registered Member

I’ll be there... hopefully we’ll have enough heads for the move. I know I was there for the ARKSC meeting last summer, but PM me your address as we draw near.

Unread 10/22/2017, 07:49 PM   #184
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I think so, and will do. If it looks like we could be short, I'll hire a couple of day laborers.

Unread 10/30/2017, 07:15 AM   #185
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Tank move happened this past weekend - thanks to all who helped to lug glass boxes ... and acrylic ones.

Unread 10/30/2017, 10:33 AM   #186
Maritimer
Registered Member

Can't hardly wait to see that beast fully aquascaped and filled with happy corals and fish!

~Bruce

Zoey's Reef has come to life! Zoas, 'shrooms and LPS of several sorts, CUC, dartfish, wrasses and others swim above the sand . . .

Current Tank Info: Kingston & Zoey's Reef; 220g, Deltec skimmer, 2 MaxSpect Gyre x-50s, 2,500gph or so through the sump. SPS are surviving . . .
Unread 10/31/2017, 09:54 AM   #187
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Took most of the weekend .... I'm considering the possibility that my system may be a tad complex. This thing is massive ..... plenty of corals and rocks, but clearly need more fish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0758.jpg (69.6 KB, 134 views)

Unread 10/31/2017, 11:11 AM   #188
iced98lx
Registered Member

Looking great after the move!!! Can't wait to see it keep growing.

iced98lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 08:26 PM   #189
Maritimer
Registered Member

Wow, that was fast!

It's looking absolutely awesome already - I love the "islands" aquascape, and the front-to-back depth of the beast!

~Bruce

Unread 10/31/2017, 08:40 PM   #190
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Yeah the 36" front to back depth is really nice. It's the first time that I've seen my Sailfin really cruise through a tank. Key will be to be a tad more disciplined and not let this tank get overgrown.

Unread 11/04/2017, 10:09 PM   #191
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Still moving colonies back in from the frag tank. Hooked up the closed loop today. Trying out a pair of random flow generators nozzles. So far so good. This is the first tank where I didn't have to spend hours chasing drips and small plumbing leaks. Secret: solvent weld joints rather than threaded.

Unread 11/05/2017, 08:25 AM   #192
Maritimer
Registered Member

I'm kind of interested in those nozzles myself. Got a couple of straight loc-line nozzles on my returns, would be kind of fun to bounce that current around a bit. How well do they handle higher flow? I've possibly got as much as 2.500 gph moving through two 3/4" returns . . .

~Bruce

Unread 11/05/2017, 07:17 PM   #193
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'm only pushing about 1,000 gph. Tried goosing the pump and the nozzles popped off the PVC pipe. Not fixed in well enough, clearly. I think they'd handle 2K plus.

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:11 PM   #194
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Tank is now essentially installed. All plumbing compete (though one of my apex flow sensors insists on dripping) and stand reassembled.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0805.jpg (57.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0808.jpg (60.1 KB, 83 views)

Unread 11/10/2017, 08:56 PM   #195
LQT
Registered Member

Very envious of that front to back depth you have... oh the possibilities!

Unread 11/10/2017, 09:14 PM   #196
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Awesome tank Simon! How does the drain work with all of those lines? Is it harder to adjust full siphon when there are multiple full siphons? I'm sorry if you already mentioned it, I only reviewed a few of the pages so far.

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2017, 10:48 PM   #197
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

No worries. I have two of the siphons basically fixed (the ones that feed the ATS and refugium) so only the third requires adjusting. In that sense, no more complex than a standard three drain bean. I have it so that the open channel just trickles. So much better than the old corner flows.

Unread 11/10/2017, 11:57 PM   #198
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

Gotcha, thanks! I have been designing a 300+ system for our house, but glass was a forgone conclusion up until now. With your experience now, would you still recommend acrylic for a large tank (assuming it sits on a slab, so weight is no issue)?

Also, I use a float switch in my overflow like you. I only have two drains (siphon, and a trickle drain/emergency), then the float acts as the real "emergency switch". If it trips, the main return pump shuts off an warnings are sent out. It gets tested once every few months to ensure functionality, and should prevent the tank from flooding if the two drains clog.

Did you end up having them make some thin circles for your MP40s? Id be interested to see how those came out.

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:03 AM   #199
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I just haven't had the acrylic tank long enough to be able to yet draw any useful conclusions for myself. Haven't scratched it yet, but it's only been two weeks . Acrylic is certainly clearer (though I do see slight distortions when looking through it at close range). The corners are much cleaner than glass. If weight is not a major consideration then I think I'd probably still go with glass.

I did have them thin two circles in the back. Ok so far. MP40 would not have stuck to 1 1/8" walls.

Unread 11/11/2017, 09:08 AM   #200
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Gotcha, thanks! I have been designing a 300+ system for our house, but glass was a forgone conclusion up until now. With your experience now, would you still recommend acrylic for a large tank (assuming it sits on a slab, so weight is no issue)?
This wasn't to me but figured I'd chime in. Hope you don't mind. If you have young children around glass is safer in most cases. I owned a 100 gallon acrylic and my nephew started to play with the class cleaning magnet. He got it a bit low, sand got on it, and I ended up with a couple scratches. Totally my fault for leaving it within his reach but that is one thing that comes to mind. Cleaning it and younger children.

Weight saving was incredible though. Easy to move around, into and out of the house, etc. To compare it I have a 240 that I have been sitting on for about a year now. Arrived last December and I just put it on the stand about a month ago The trouble? Moving it out of the crate and placing it onto the stand for a leak check. Now I am ready to move it into the house and need to sort that out...

Pros for me was the clarity and weight. The Con was managing the inside of the tank with regards to cleaning it and accidental scratches from children. Children are great and it was my fault. You could scratch that off the list if you are more organized than me

Forgot to add. To the OP - nice looking tank.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote