Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2015, 09:36 PM   #926
.Renegade
Registered Member

thanks minus9 im still waiting on my controller to arrive

.Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2015, 09:50 PM   #927
DDon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkins View Post
Yeah I have the regular apex (not gold version but the next one down. It does have the v1/v2 type ports which I am guessing will work. Did some quick research online and couldn't find a straight answer but that seems to be the case.
No need for the VDM Module since you have the standard Apex. The v1/v2 ports are the ones used to control the Kessils

DDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2015, 10:13 PM   #928
.Renegade
Registered Member

if i purchase the kessil controller do i have to keep it connected to my A360WE for the light to turn on and off by itself or can i just program it and put it away?

Unread 07/14/2015, 10:41 PM   #929
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renegade View Post
if i purchase the kessil controller do i have to keep it connected to my A360WE for the light to turn on and off by itself or can i just program it and put it away?
You have to keep it connected. If you disconnect it, the light will default to the knob settings on the lamp.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2015, 07:13 AM   #930
soulpatch
Registered Member

what is everyone doing about moonlighting? Just attaching a LED diode to the gooseneck or something? I cant imagine people are leaving the lights on all night. I wont have a canopy as my tank is frameless but curious what others are doing so I can buy something else if needed.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 09:42 PM   #931
57buick
Registered Member

3 A360WE on 220G

Here is a pic of my tank 72x24x30 and I run pretty full intensity through the day with the color simply changing from white to blue. I love these lights, Was thinking about adding 2 a160WE to keep a bunch more blue to the corals even in the middle of the day when I have the white end peaking?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank2.jpg (51.3 KB, 336 views)
57buick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 07:33 PM   #932
Jaredcube
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palamo123 View Post
Hi,

Here's a short video of my cube lighten på Kessils running 90%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH-r...2S0rCtAGekNnqw

enjoy

rgds

Kenneth

Amazing!!

Jaredcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2015, 07:37 PM   #933
.Renegade
Registered Member

i have a kessil a360we over my 29 gallon bio cube and do not have a controller can anyone tell me whats the best intensity and color for my sps i will need to make the adjustments manually since i cannot get a controller until next month

Unread 07/22/2015, 02:12 AM   #934
sixpackgarage
reef mechanic

Is go 50/50 or less based on how the corals are doing. Less is more until you get the controller

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523500

Current Tank Info: DSA NEO 65G reef powered by Kessil
sixpackgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 01:35 PM   #935
.Renegade
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpackgarage View Post
Is go 50/50 or less based on how the corals are doing. Less is more until you get the controller
thanks thats what im kinda doing now lps look great but some sps look a lil brown

Unread 10/13/2015, 09:35 AM   #936
rappyfly
Registered Member

My Kessils over 187G.

rappyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2015, 01:39 PM   #937
palamo123
Registered Member

New video
http://youtu.be/zLALLQRwtjM

palamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2015, 08:47 AM   #938
golferbud101691
Registered Member

I have 2 over my 90 gallon. Ive had some problems with sps(acros) mostly. I think the lights are too intense for their liking. I have them ramping up to 100% color and 50% intensity in 12hrs. Is that too much color? Ive only had the lights for about 3 months now and I was more so setting them up according to what looks best to my eye. Could I be burning stuff up?

golferbud101691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2015, 11:51 AM   #939
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbud101691 View Post
I have 2 over my 90 gallon. Ive had some problems with sps(acros) mostly. I think the lights are too intense for their liking. I have them ramping up to 100% color and 50% intensity in 12hrs. Is that too much color? Ive only had the lights for about 3 months now and I was more so setting them up according to what looks best to my eye. Could I be burning stuff up?
I think the color is fine and certainly not too much but the intensity is likely too much.. 100% is a lot depending on how high you have the lights above the water. Mine are 10-12" above the water and I never exceed 78% and my peak intensity is only 4 hours a day out of my 12 hour photo period. If you are at 100% intensity after 3 months, you certainly didn't acclimate your corals to the light properly. I would have started at around 50% intensity and worked your way up 5% a month. Then once you start seeing adverse reactions for the corals, you back off 3-5% and leave it. If after a month at that level, everything seems OK, you can try increasing your intensity again at the same rate.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2015, 02:30 PM   #940
golferbud101691
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I think the color is fine and certainly not too much but the intensity is likely too much.. 100% is a lot depending on how high you have the lights above the water. Mine are 10-12" above the water and I never exceed 78% and my peak intensity is only 4 hours a day out of my 12 hour photo period. If you are at 100% intensity after 3 months, you certainly didn't acclimate your corals to the light properly. I would have started at around 50% intensity and worked your way up 5% a month. Then once you start seeing adverse reactions for the corals, you back off 3-5% and leave it. If after a month at that level, everything seems OK, you can try increasing your intensity again at the same rate.

Miss read there man. It's okay. I'm running 100% COLOR and 50% INTENSITY.
Sorry for the confusion.

Unread 11/01/2015, 02:38 PM   #941
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbud101691 View Post
Miss read there man. It's okay. I'm running 100% COLOR and 50% INTENSITY.
Sorry for the confusion.
LOL.. Yea, I guess I did. I'd lower the color down some. I run my color at about 70% at peak hours and have it gradually ramp to that point and gradually from down from there. 65-70% is a good balance of color and intensity. Also, you might try slowly increasing your intensity a bit.. I would suggest 5% a month and do so a little bit each week. That way, you can monitor your corals and back off easily if you need to without risk of burning them. These lights are much more powerful than people realize in large part because they are very strong in the bluer 420-460nm spectrum which doesn't appear bright to the human eye. It's also the main spectrum where corals get most of the photosynthetic radiation.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 11/01/2015, 03:10 PM   #942
golferbud101691
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
LOL.. Yea, I guess I did. I'd lower the color down some. I run my color at about 70% at peak hours and have it gradually ramp to that point and gradually from down from there. 65-70% is a good balance of color and intensity. Also, you might try slowly increasing your intensity a bit.. I would suggest 5% a month and do so a little bit each week. That way, you can monitor your corals and back off easily if you need to without risk of burning them. These lights are much more powerful than people realize in large part because they are very strong in the bluer 420-460nm spectrum which doesn't appear bright to the human eye. It's also the main spectrum where corals get most of the photosynthetic radiation.

Cool deal! Thanks. I'll start at 60% color and 50% intensity and increase at 5% a month until I hit your numbers since you have a 24" deep tank as well. One of mine has a little off blue color too and changes colors faster than the other. I think I may need to call kessil about it. They seem very helpful with that stuff.

Unread 11/01/2015, 09:21 PM   #943
usmc1812
Registered Member

Have 3 A360we over my 265 best LED hands down! Great colors and very easy to set up with the Kessil controller.

usmc1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2015, 01:03 AM   #944
janci
Registered Member

Hi all, I am using the A360WE on my tank and after more than 2 months of use, I see more and more faster algae growth on my glass. After 2-3 days I have to start cleaning, which I did not have to do before.
I made some changes in my lighting schedule and intensity lately, but wonder if other face similar problems.
Water parameters are ok.
Salinity @ 1.025
Ammonia @ 0.00
Nitrite @ 0.00
Nitrate @ 5.00
Phosphates @ 0.00 (might be wrong reading due to algae)
Ca @ 420
Mg @ 1290
Alk @ 7.0

Algae growth is mainly on the glass, not on the rocks.

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 12:32 PM   #945
unfeazi
Registered Member

In the process of planning out my 48x24 rimless tank and am deciding on lights! At the moment I'm pretty sold on kessils just need to save money. I was thinking 3x a360we spaced 12" apart from each other. Would like to keep a mixed reef but it will be sps dominated. You guys think 3 will be okay? I can and will add a fourth down the road if necessary. How high would you hang them?

unfeazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 12:41 PM   #946
BIGD0G
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfeazi View Post
In the process of planning out my 48x24 rimless tank and am deciding on lights! At the moment I'm pretty sold on kessils just need to save money. I was thinking 3x a360we spaced 12" apart from each other. Would like to keep a mixed reef but it will be sps dominated. You guys think 3 will be okay? I can and will add a fourth down the road if necessary. How high would you hang them?

I have 3 360w Kessils on my 6' 180g tank and growing SPS but mostly have a mixed reef.

Current Tank Info: 180g
BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 05:37 AM   #947
trueperc
Registered Member

I have been a Kessil A360we owner for over a year and half. Now thankfully I only use these to supplement my metal halides. Now while under warranty the customer service is top notch. My question for this group, has any of you had to deal with a failed unit out of warranty? My story is, I had two fail under warranty, and they shipped me new ones and told me to keep the old ones. I was shocked but was very happy. Since then, two more have gone just last weekend. I am out of warranty and completely understand that, but I emaiedl the company and asked if I could get these repaired as the cost of these up in Canada are $500 per unit. I was told no. So I have had a total of 7 lights and 4 failures in a year and half. That is not good. I did all the troubleshooting and its indeed the units. I love the look these lights give off, but I hate the fact that now I am sitting on $2000 worth of nothing in a very short time when these where suppose to last 5 years. Something to think about when buying the AP700. I am just trying to find out if this is just an outside of Canada thing or has anyone had to deal with this? Myself if I do go leds again, it will be EcoTech or AI at least you can get parts and upgrade them after the warranty period is over.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 10:21 AM   #948
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueperc View Post
I have been a Kessil A360we owner for over a year and half. Now thankfully I only use these to supplement my metal halides. Now while under warranty the customer service is top notch. My question for this group, has any of you had to deal with a failed unit out of warranty? My story is, I had two fail under warranty, and they shipped me new ones and told me to keep the old ones. I was shocked but was very happy. Since then, two more have gone just last weekend. I am out of warranty and completely understand that, but I emaiedl the company and asked if I could get these repaired as the cost of these up in Canada are $500 per unit. I was told no. So I have had a total of 7 lights and 4 failures in a year and half. That is not good. I did all the troubleshooting and its indeed the units. I love the look these lights give off, but I hate the fact that now I am sitting on $2000 worth of nothing in a very short time when these where suppose to last 5 years. Something to think about when buying the AP700. I am just trying to find out if this is just an outside of Canada thing or has anyone had to deal with this? Myself if I do go leds again, it will be EcoTech or AI at least you can get parts and upgrade them after the warranty period is over.
Your failure rate is really high. I have 8 of the 360WE's over my 480g display going on 1.5 years now and not a single failure.. I have other friends who run A360's and 360WE's that have been going even longer without issue. That leads me to wonder if there is a reason why yours are failing like that. Especially given the number of failures you've had which (from my experience) is way out of the norm for these lights.

Are you running them in a conopy or something? I can't help but wonder if heat or humidity and or a combination of the two are part of your issue. If you have them in an enclosed area, high humidity could be the cause and it may be that the humidity led to a fan failure which resulted in other component failing. I'd love to see one of your dead ones to trouble shoot further and see what the root cause is. If you were local, it would be easy and I could trouble shoot down to the component level in a matter of minutes. Given your distance from me, that obviously makes it difficult. Still, I suspect there is a something that is leading to your failures which is out of the norm for these lights. One thing you could check is to see if the fan will spin by using a paper clip to turn it. It's possible that these lights have a circuit protection that kicks in of the fans aren't turning. If that's the case, replacing the fans may solve your issue. If you want to mail me one, I'd be happy to take a look inside them and see if I can figure out the root cause of the failure and see what it will take to fix them. This assuming Kessil doesn't have a good option for you.

Unread 01/07/2016, 12:25 PM   #949
trueperc
Registered Member

Hi slief, I have the units between double ended metal halide pendents. The canopy if you call it, it suspended about 12-14 inches above my tank and completely open. I do agree it seems a really high failure rate. Curious about the fan might be the issue. I guess what I am most concerning and wanting to share. Is regardless why these failed, is now that I do have failed units, due to be outside the US, I am not able to send these in for repair. If others buy these unit that are outside the US and this is the situation, then this situation might a concern on whether to buy a kessil or not. I can understand why the company made this stance, a little bit of to many unknowns with shipping, duty and repair cost, is what they stated and it might be cheaper to by a new one. Still I respect this company and they have made good products. Due to these reason I don't think I can ship one to you.

trueperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 01:00 PM   #950
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueperc View Post
Hi slief, I have the units between double ended metal halide pendents. The canopy if you call it, it suspended about 12-14 inches above my tank and completely open. I do agree it seems a really high failure rate. Curious about the fan might be the issue. I guess what I am most concerning and wanting to share. Is regardless why these failed, is now that I do have failed units, due to be outside the US, I am not able to send these in for repair. If others buy these unit that are outside the US and this is the situation, then this situation might a concern on whether to buy a kessil or not. I can understand why the company made this stance, a little bit of to many unknowns with shipping, duty and repair cost, is what they stated and it might be cheaper to by a new one. Still I respect this company and they have made good products. Due to these reason I don't think I can ship one to you.
Shipping back and forth from Canada isn't that big of an issue but duty costs all depend on declared value. A low declared value can result in little to no duties depending on the stated value. The downside to using a low declared value is that should they get lost or damaged, your insured value is obviously compromised since that is a direct reflection of the declared value. A manufacturer who is the shipper likely won't risk the financial loss risks associated with shipments that carry low declared values but from person to person, there is that way to get around duties. Especially if the product isn't working anyway. On a new product, the risks may not be worth it since stuff does get lost or damaged in transit from time to time.