Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 05:44 AM   #1
krs1102
Registered Member

Reef Safe Butterfly?

Two questions:

1. Are the pyramid and zoster butterflyfish still considered the only reef safe butterflyfish? I know LiveAquaria lists them that way, but I am curious if anyone here has personal experience with them.

2. My wife really wants a Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish. From what I have read, the longer nose may indicate that they would be less likely to go after LPS (which is what I have), but feather dusters and clams will get chomped. Anyone have any experience in this realm?

Thanks!

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Myles
Registered Member

I have a group of 3 Pyramids in my 180. They do poke at my corals pretty constantly but have not done any damage. The biggest drawback is they have a high metabolism and require lots of food.
In the wild they exist in enormous groups in high current areas and eat all day long.
Myles

Unread 08/17/2018, 04:35 PM   #3
saf1
Registered Member

No expert here but after my tank matures a bit more I'll be adding 3 or 5 Milletseed Butterflyfish. I've searched and read and these seem to be mixed reef friendly with caution. Most of what I've read seems to skew towards reef safe but you know how that goes...

I've been trying to find fish that I've dove with from Hawaii and these fit the bill.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 05:55 PM   #4
krs1102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
I have a group of 3 Pyramids in my 180. They do poke at my corals pretty constantly but have not done any damage. The biggest drawback is they have a high metabolism and require lots of food.
In the wild they exist in enormous groups in high current areas and eat all day long.
Myles
Thanks for the info Myles. Do you have any feather duster worms or clams? Also, if possible, could you post a picture? I think my wife would like them if she could see them in a tank.

Unread 08/17/2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Myles
Registered Member

My clam is completely ignored. I have no feather dusters but I would bet they would pester them.
Myles

Unread 08/18/2018, 06:55 AM   #6
krs1102
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
No expert here but after my tank matures a bit more I'll be adding 3 or 5 Milletseed Butterflyfish. I've searched and read and these seem to be mixed reef friendly with caution. Most of what I've read seems to skew towards reef safe but you know how that goes...

I've been trying to find fish that I've dove with from Hawaii and these fit the bill.
How long as you wanting for it to mature first? I've read about a year?

Unread 08/18/2018, 12:11 PM   #7
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs1102 View Post
How long as you wanting for it to mature first? I've read about a year?
That is probably what I'm going to do honestly. I've added a Lt. Tang so far but that is it. Rest of the fish are what I carried over from a 40 breeder. I'd like some of the coral carried over to fill out then the parameters to settle so I can add more, then let them grow before I add anything else.

There is a lot of rock with 150 lbs in a 210 gallon so most of it is bare. I can tell without a doubt that new fish would want more places to forage. But yes, I'm thinking at least a year unless something changes in December. The butterflies I am after are not available anyway at LA. So I have plenty of time

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 07:25 PM   #8
krs1102
Registered Member

Thanks for the info- does anyone have any experience with the long nose butterfly?

Unread 08/20/2018, 09:16 PM   #9
Myles
Registered Member

There was an excellent thread here a few years ago called butterflies in reefs with tons of info about peoples personal experiences with different butterflies.
Myles

Unread 08/21/2018, 05:58 AM   #10
krs1102
Registered Member

Thanks for that suggestion Myles. Here is a link to that thread (which seems to contain EVERYTHING) in case others want it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1983397