Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/18/2011, 09:01 AM   #2576
110galreef
Registered Member

When I started whatching that vid....i started listening to the song and early on it sounded like it was gonna be a techno remix of.................

"PUMP UP THE JAM!" lol.......watch it again ......

You know you all are singing it!

BTW....your food list is growing!

Unread 03/18/2011, 12:46 PM   #2577
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary faulkner View Post
I luv the way she dances around like that! 8-)
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Specially for feeding my sps's I am now using Reef Nutrition's Roti-Feast and Oyster-Feast and I do sneak in some Coral Fenzy/Reef Chili a couple of times a week. Actually my LFS has a nice secret receipt brew in place of Reef Chili that they use exclusively for their tanks and maintenance accounts.

And I am switching over, as soon as my frozen food is gone, to Rogger's Food. I am going to a KISS with Rogger's for fish and the above mentioned for corals. All the TOTM tanks seem to do little in those areas and their tanks are allows banging imho.

HTH
How much Roti and Oyster Feast do you feed per week? I need to look into Rogger's, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
I need more red corals in my tank...
We all do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
When I started whatching that vid....i started listening to the song and early on it sounded like it was gonna be a techno remix of.................

"PUMP UP THE JAM!" lol.......watch it again ......

You know you all are singing it!

BTW....your food list is growing!
Yes the list is growing. I felt like either I wasn't dosing enough AA's or possibly the variety of available foods, at least in my tank, are slim to none. I'll show you what I got later today.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2011, 01:58 PM   #2578
tegee
Premium Member

Brett...I use 1 tsp of each product 4-5 x's/week. I know everyone talks about PE when feeding xyz, but my sps's literally expand incredibly when I use these two RN products...fwiw.

I had a very nice conversation with Rogger and have spoken to others that rave about his food. The nice thing I like is I can put it in a clip and let them feed at their leisure. And not have it break up and go into overflows. And you do not have to rinse which is a big plus too.

Unread 03/18/2011, 03:19 PM   #2579
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Brett...I use 1 tsp of each product 4-5 x's/week. I know everyone talks about PE when feeding xyz, but my sps's literally expand incredibly when I use these two RN products...fwiw.

I had a very nice conversation with Rogger and have spoken to others that rave about his food. The nice thing I like is I can put it in a clip and let them feed at their leisure. And not have it break up and go into overflows. And you do not have to rinse which is a big plus too.
Good info thanks tegee! 2 more questions for you...

1. Do you feed the Roti/Oyster Feast with lights on or lights off?
2. Do you turn either the skimmer or return pump off during this feeding?

Unread 03/18/2011, 04:50 PM   #2580
rs1831
Registered Member

Great thread!

How do you like the 250 watt pendants? Do you feel like they are enough light? I'm looking at a 120 setup and I'm just curious if you feel like the 250watts are enough for 24 inch deep tanks.

Thanks.

Unread 03/18/2011, 04:55 PM   #2581
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Good info thanks tegee! 2 more questions for you...

1. Do you feed the Roti/Oyster Feast with lights on or lights off?
2. Do you turn either the skimmer or return pump off during this feeding?

Great questions Brett....

1. Yes, I wait until 8pm when my MH go off and just the VHO's until 10pm. So I have a two hour window to feed fish and sps.
2. No I keep entire system up and running. I do not like turning powered equipment on/off for much of anything; with the exception of weekly WC.

As mentioned, once my current supply of frozen food is exhausted I will be switching to Rogger's Reef Food for fish and Reef Nutrition for SPS's; along with some dried formula food (LFS brew) on occasion.

I have also been playing around with some Elos supplements (AA/Omega and their ProSkimmer).

That about rounds out my feeding(s) and dosing, etc.

HTH.......Tony

Unread 03/18/2011, 08:27 PM   #2582
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1831 View Post
Great thread!

How do you like the 250 watt pendants? Do you feel like they are enough light? I'm looking at a 120 setup and I'm just curious if you feel like the 250watts are enough for 24 inch deep tanks.

Thanks.
Thanks Roland. Absolutely, the 250 watt'ers in Lumen Brights are plenty of light for 24" tanks. Depending on the bulb and ballast combo you go with I think you'll really like them. If you are using them inside a hood you might have to go with the "wide" model since ideally these reflectors need to placed slightly higher than other reflectors due to the light pattern. If height isn't a concern then the regular or mini's are great depending on the dimensions of your display.

Quote:
Great questions Brett....

1. Yes, I wait until 8pm when my MH go off and just the VHO's until 10pm. So I have a two hour window to feed fish and sps.
2. No I keep entire system up and running. I do not like turning powered equipment on/off for much of anything; with the exception of weekly WC.

As mentioned, once my current supply of frozen food is exhausted I will be switching to Rogger's Reef Food for fish and Reef Nutrition for SPS's; along with some dried formula food (LFS brew) on occasion.

I have also been playing around with some Elos supplements (AA/Omega and their ProSkimmer).

That about rounds out my feeding(s) and dosing, etc.

HTH.......Tony
Yes Tony, this helps a ton. Thanks so much and keep me posted how the Roggers food goes once you pick some up. I'd love to hear the progress there. Btw, I feed some Oyster Feast this afternoon and when the lights came on this evening my Rose Milli PE was insane!

Unread 03/18/2011, 10:29 PM   #2583
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

I have a few updates for you guys...

First, I went to the LFS today and picked up some coral food. I ended up getting frozen Cyclop-eeze and RN's Oyster-Feast. I think I'll pick up some Roti-Feast as well but that will be next trip. I fed some of the Oyster-Feast this afternoon with the lights off, when I returned home the lights were on and I was amazed at the feeding response of the corals, intense PE! Looking forward to how the corals respond with regular feedings of this stuff.

I also picked up some much needed coral dip. I went with ReVive Coral Cleaner simply because this is what my LFS had and I've read good things about it and also CoralRX. The stuff smells like Lysol which I found very interesting. It's quite easy to use... 4 capfuls per 1 gallon of salwater. Pour a small amount of the solution into a Tupperware container, just enough to submerge the coral. Let the frag soak for 15 min, basting with a turkey baster to remove any stubborn bugs. Done!

Luckily my first go around resulted in nothing but a tiny bristleworm (which was kinda sad) and some sand.

And the reason for dipping, a Tri Color Valida. This is an aquacultured frag from a local reefer and are sold through my LFS. He always has nice looking frags so I decided to give one a try this time. And it was on the cheap.

And finally, I also picked up a Bubble Coral. It's obviously white but has a nice pink hue under the 20K Radiums. Looks pretty cool.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 03/19/2011, 06:47 AM   #2584
tegee
Premium Member

Hey Brett.....sorry to bother you, but I am too lazy to scroll back to see your post regarding the Hanna Alk Checker.

Just picked one up yesterday...can you give me some helpful tips on how to "properly" use so I get accurate readings? Also, how happy are you with it now that you had it for awhile? I am sick of Salifert and Elos is good, but not dead nuts accurate enough for me.

Many thanks for any help you can provide...Tony

Unread 03/19/2011, 11:30 AM   #2585
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Hey Brett.....sorry to bother you, but I am too lazy to scroll back to see your post regarding the Hanna Alk Checker.

Just picked one up yesterday...can you give me some helpful tips on how to "properly" use so I get accurate readings? Also, how happy are you with it now that you had it for awhile? I am sick of Salifert and Elos is good, but not dead nuts accurate enough for me.

Many thanks for any help you can provide...Tony
Hey Tony, the Hanna Alk Checker is awesome you'll love it. There's been some controversy about the syringe and pipette tip included in the kit. What I'm doing, which has been tested and verified by some hard core reef guys is this... Ditch the pipette tip altogether. Just use the syringe to draw 1ml of the reagent. 1ml is 1ml whether the pipette tip is used or not. I actually replaced the syringe with a higher quality one as well. Seems like I get a more accurate "plunge" with the new syringe, but probably not necessary.

So here's my process.

1. Fill and empty the cuvette with tank water a few times to ensure no contaminants are inside the cuvette.
2. Fill the cuvette so the bottom of the meniscus is right at the line on the vial. Screw lid on cuvette.
3. Push button to turn on Checker.
4. Place the cuvette in the Checker to zero out the unit, push button. I place the 10ml indicator forward for consistency.
5. Remove cuvette from Checker. Draw 1ml of reagent with syringe (no tip). Add reagent to the water sample, cap and invert 5 times to mix.
6. Place cuvette with 10ml mark facing forward into Checker and press the button for your result.
7. Rinse cuvette with RODI water and store back in box.

Unread 03/19/2011, 02:28 PM   #2586
tegee
Premium Member

You're the best Brett.....I knew you were the go to guy. I give it a try this evening and let you know how i make out. I test against Salifert and Elos for giggles.

BTW: you had me at "Hello".....I mean meniscus:-). Had to right click and look up in dictionary. New word of the day.

Many THANKS as always.........

Unread 03/19/2011, 06:23 PM   #2587
josh_tn
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Tony, the Hanna Alk Checker is awesome you'll love it. There's been some controversy about the syringe and pipette tip included in the kit. What I'm doing, which has been tested and verified by some hard core reef guys is this... Ditch the pipette tip altogether. Just use the syringe to draw 1ml of the reagent. 1ml is 1ml whether the pipette tip is used or not. I actually replaced the syringe with a higher quality one as well. Seems like I get a more accurate "plunge" with the new syringe, but probably not necessary.

So here's my process.

1. Fill and empty the cuvette with tank water a few times to ensure no contaminants are inside the cuvette.
2. Fill the cuvette so the bottom of the meniscus is right at the line on the vial. Screw lid on cuvette.
4. Place the cuvette in the Checker to zero out the unit, push button. I place the 10ml indicator forward for consistency.
5. Remove cuvette from Checker. Draw 1ml of reagent with syringe (no tip). Add reagent to the water sample, cap and invert 5 times to mix.
6. Place cuvette with 10ml mark facing forward into Checker and press the button for your result.
I perform my tests exactly the same way as Brett except I don't usually pay attention to where the 10mL mark faces. I've gotten good results that way as well. When I first got it and was playing around with it I did 4 tests in a row that way and got the exact same number all 4 times so I was pretty happy with that kind of repeatability.

-Josh

Current Tank info - 180 gallon mixed reef with custom ~90 gallon DIY acrylic sump, SRO XP Cone 3000 skimmer, 3 x 250W radiums on Icecap ballasts + 2 60" VHO URI super actinics, marco rock, Apex controller, 2 x MP40W Vortechs, Panworld 100 PX-X return pump.
Currently running 1000mL WM ecobak pellets in Nextreef SMR1 reactor + GFO/carbon in BRS Dual reactor.
josh_tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2011, 10:40 PM   #2588
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
You're the best Brett.....I knew you were the go to guy. I give it a try this evening and let you know how i make out. I test against Salifert and Elos for giggles.

BTW: you had me at "Hello".....I mean meniscus:-). Had to right click and look up in dictionary. New word of the day.

Many THANKS as always.........
You are welcome Tony. Let me know how your results turn out. I remember the Salifert testing higher than the Checker. I heard Elos was on par with the Checker but interested to hear your findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_tn View Post
I perform my tests exactly the same way as Brett except I don't usually pay attention to where the 10mL mark faces. I've gotten good results that way as well. When I first got it and was playing around with it I did 4 tests in a row that way and got the exact same number all 4 times so I was pretty happy with that kind of repeatability.

-Josh
Well, I'm glad I'm doing something right. I wouldn't think the 10ml mark would have anything to do with accurate results either, I'm just weird like that.

Unread 03/20/2011, 01:13 AM   #2589
josh_tn
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I'm glad I'm doing something right. I wouldn't think the 10ml mark would have anything to do with accurate results either, I'm just weird like that.
Weird - maybe.....but next time I test, I have a feeling I'll be doing the same thing now that you brought it up

Current Tank info - 180 gallon mixed reef with custom ~90 gallon DIY acrylic sump, SRO XP Cone 3000 skimmer, 3 x 250W radiums on Icecap ballasts + 2 60" VHO URI super actinics, marco rock, Apex controller, 2 x MP40W Vortechs, Panworld 100 PX-X return pump.
Currently running 1000mL WM ecobak pellets in Nextreef SMR1 reactor + GFO/carbon in BRS Dual reactor.
josh_tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2011, 09:01 AM   #2590
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_tn View Post
Weird - maybe.....but next time I test, I have a feeling I'll be doing the same thing now that you brought it up
Ha!

Unread 03/20/2011, 03:46 PM   #2591
afernandez
Never Quit!!

thanks for the alk checker input ofcourse right after I read I when to check it. lol

so I'm a bit crazy when it comes to testing..
I have the elos, salifert, and Hanna checker and I got three diffrent numbers ..

Hanna. -7.78
elos -11
salifert -8.6

Big Diffrence

So my next question is who do I belive...

Brett what do u use to test your mag & cal ?

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2011, 03:50 PM   #2592
afernandez
Never Quit!!

Btw I also have the elos mag & elos cal.(and i'm not too happy with elos) btw they are all new including my salifert kits.

yes I do have 3 sets of test kits lol told u I'm a little crazy with test kits

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
Unread 03/20/2011, 03:52 PM   #2593
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
thanks for the alk checker input ofcourse right after I read I when to check it. lol

I have the elos, salifert, and Hanna checker and I got three diffrent numbers ..

Hanna. -7.78
elos -11
salifert -8.6

Big Diffrence

I would go with the Hanna Checker test. No actually those numbers are right in line with what I've researched. Salifert Alk test in most cases, including myself, are a solid 1dkh higher than the Hanna. I think this was also tested against more scientific analysis as well, so I would go by the Hanna if it were me. I can't say about the Elos but I thought they were more in line with the Hanna tests but I don't know. Maybe test again with the Elos kit and report back. Could have been a bad test...

Right now I'm using API for Ca and an old Salifert for Mag. I'm anxiously awaiting the Hanna Ca Checker to come out, hopefully soon! I need to upgrade my Mag test for sure though as it's almost out.

Unread 03/20/2011, 03:54 PM   #2594
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post

Hanna. -7.78
elos -11
salifert -8.6

Big Diffrence

Believe the Hanna to be accurate & the salifert to be about .5+ off....the elos ignore.

HAHA..but seriously, the hanna & salifert numbers seem right on as the salifert is know to be about .5+ higher than the Hanna meters. As for what your right number is?? Hmmmm

EDIT...bret just beat me to the post!

Last edited by 110galreef; 03/20/2011 at 04:13 PM.
110galreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2011, 04:29 PM   #2595
afernandez
Never Quit!!

LoL idk for sure but they seem to be within acceptable values

Unread 03/20/2011, 07:33 PM   #2596
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:

So here's my process.

Ok everyone....after Brett's valuable input on how to properly use to gain the most accurate results...here are my readings.

Salifert - 10.2
Elos - 9.0
Hanna - 9.35

I continue to use and see how close these three kits match (or don't match).

Many thanks...Tony

Unread 03/20/2011, 11:10 PM   #2597
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Ok everyone....after Brett's valuable input on how to properly use to gain the most accurate results...here are my readings.

Salifert - 10.2
Elos - 9.0
Hanna - 9.35

I continue to use and see how close these three kits match (or don't match).

Many thanks...Tony

BAM! I think we can call those tests conclusive. Salifert, about ~1dkh above Hanna where Elos is roughly inline. Those are exactly the results I've been seeing across the board. With that, I'd still trust the Checker.

Unread 03/20/2011, 11:29 PM   #2598
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

A few pics and a couple questions (below in red) for you...

What a difference a day makes. The Bubble Coral is super bubbly today.

Closeup of the Bubble Coral

Question... I think this coral is starting to color morph as you can see at the base. It's always been the pink-orange color you see but now the base is turning a neon green color with green polyps! Do you think it's starting to color up or is something else going on?

Here's another frag of the same coral and you can again see how the polyps at the bottom are starting to turn green ever so slightly.

Since I've been feeding Oyster-Feast and dosing AA's more heavily the polyp extension of the corals has been great. Here's the Millepora.

And PE of the Trumpet Coral after feeding Oyster-Feast.

Question... After feeding sometimes the Purple Stag has this mucous-like stuff coming from the side of the frag. I've also noticed a snot-like substance floating around the display a couple times but now I think it's related to the Stag. You can faintly see there's also a "streamer" that comes out and waves in the flow. It's definitely not a web, like from a spionid or tube worm, it's translucent and jelly-like. Any ideas??

I thought one of the polyps were expelling it's guts but why? Could it be spawning?

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:07 PM.
Unread 03/21/2011, 07:44 AM   #2599
psteeleb
Registered Member

great pictures Brett, those corals are looking nice

I'm not positive on the coral discharge but it does look like a spawn event

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2011, 07:50 AM   #2600
coffeenut
Registered Member

They say, that a spawning event would be triggered by the super moon thing.. with in a week ..

coffeenut is offline   Reply With Quote