Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2014, 11:00 PM   #351
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Thank you. Can't wait to try this

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 03:57 AM   #352
DNA
Registered Member

Another update.

I still have lot's of dinos, but the odd thing is that for months they have not produced any strings or gas bubbles.
Most of my sand is covered and some of the half lit spots on my rocks as well.
I took a closer look last week and they are the same as before and the change in behavior is a mistery.

My corals are doing much better now, with most thriving, one has died and two are struggling.
The symptoms are usually the same, first a really slow growth is noticed, tissue is lost on the side facing the light while it lingers on the dark side for a long time.
Of course it could be something else, but with such a potent enemy in the tank one has to look there first for explanation.
Slow or no growth and tissue necrosis is something I've seen plenty of for the last few years. I do think dinos are playing a part there.

There is another Cyano phase going on now with the cyano sitting on top of the dinos. A pleasant sight indeed.
Last time it ended with most of the dinos gone and I'm hoping for something similar this round as well.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 07:54 AM   #353
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Another update.

I still have lot's of dinos, but the odd thing is that for months they have not produced any strings or gas bubbles.
Most of my sand is covered and some of the half lit spots on my rocks as well.
I took a closer look last week and they are the same as before and the change in behavior is a mistery.

My corals are doing much better now, with most thriving, one has died and two are struggling.
The symptoms are usually the same, first a really slow growth is noticed, tissue is lost on the side facing the light while it lingers on the dark side for a long time.
Of course it could be something else, but with such a potent enemy in the tank one has to look there first for explanation.
Slow or no growth and tissue necrosis is something I've seen plenty of for the last few years. I do think dinos are playing a part there.

There is another Cyano phase going on now with the cyano sitting on top of the dinos. A pleasant sight indeed.
Last time it ended with most of the dinos gone and I'm hoping for something similar this round as well.
Have you tried ethromyacin?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 10/19/2014, 11:45 AM   #354
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist007 View Post
No. Dinos are not bacteria and Cyano is not a foe.
I did a search and didn't find anyone reporting wonders with it.

Can you point some out?

Unread 10/19/2014, 03:20 PM   #355
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Sure
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/eryth...ets-p-244.html

Unread 10/19/2014, 10:19 PM   #356
swk
Registered Member

Quote:

I believe he was looking for links that showed erythro working for dinos

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 05:23 PM   #357
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Finally got my hands on a microscope. Per algaeid.com, this is Ostreopsis.

This is the only clear video of them, and about halfway through it I added one drop of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Had immediate effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SQMspNsoA

Too bad it doesn't work like that in our tanks!

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 05:53 PM   #358
nematode
Registered Member

update

I took my 10 gallon Q tank that looked like (posted above) that was infected with "dinoflagelletes" actually Eudorina based on microscopy.

Only thing in the 10 g tank with a 10 g sump was some pieces of live rock and two small corals. I scrubbed everything I could and cleaned off the walls, and replaced 5 or 6 gallons of water doing that.
Then I added ~ 1 cup of algae- liquid that I had scrapped off of the sidewall of another one of my tanks. ~ 20 x 20 inches of algae junk collected on a razor blade cleaning the glass of my tanks.
I dumped that into the freshly cleaned tank,
I then (~ 10 of 14 days) added 1.5 ml 3 % h202 to the tank in the morning each day (that I did it).
The green algae has taken hold and the eudorina does not seem to be coming back as of yet.
In the three times I did complete changes before I never got growth of green algae (never added a bolus of green algae either)

(still looks pitiful, but much better)

Not sure what did it, H2O2 or the algae, but I think (hope) I am on the right track

ps I have a 20 gallon fish Q tank right next to it with a growing eudorina problem. I did not clean that one but have been adding 2.0 ml of h202 (3%) each day I have been dosing the 10 g and so far, the h202 had done nothing for the other tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (43.1 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by nematode; 10/20/2014 at 06:00 PM.
nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 10:43 AM   #359
DNA
Registered Member

Jedimasterben.

That's a good video and a decent microscope.
I'm a bit angry how reefers prefer to practice voodoo in the dark rather than to identify their dinos and contribute to the hobby.
Could you please post some info on that so other reefers can follow in your footsteps.

Last edited by DNA; 10/21/2014 at 10:51 AM.
Unread 10/21/2014, 11:05 AM   #360
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Jedimasterben.

That's a good video and a decent microscope.
I'm a bit angry how reefers prefer to practice voodoo in the dark rather than to identify their dinos and contribute to the hobby.
Could you please post some info on that so other reefers can follow in your footsteps.
Not sure what you mean by follow in my footsteps? You mean just using the microscope or?

Current Tank Info: Acquasole 60, IceCap 15 Sump, 2x Maxspect Ethereal, Coral Box D500 skimmer, Maxspect Gyre 150, Jecod DCS-5000
Unread 10/21/2014, 11:05 AM   #361
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Erythromycin works again Cyanobacteria (those red and green slim "algae"). However these Cyanobacterial are easily control by control nutrient in the tank.
Dino is another mater entirely.

For a great variety of reasons, adding antibiotic to our reef tank is a huge NO in my book.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 11:12 AM   #362
Pants
Registered Member

I think people would find it helpful to know how you bought/accessed a microscope.

Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 11:15 AM   #363
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I think people would find it helpful to know how you bought/accessed a microscope.
Oh lol. I borrowed it from the high school here in town. I work for the school district, though, as otherwise I don't think I could have gotten to take one home.

Was interesting trying to get the camera to be able to see properly lol

Oh, and here is a still.

Unread 10/26/2014, 03:30 AM   #364
DNA
Registered Member

I spent a good part of Saturday reading published research papers by scientists.
I keep reading very similar material as scientist dive into small areas and scrutinize it.
They often come up with solid results, but are oblivious to the big picture like how their subject behaves in nature.
They all seem to acknowledge how little they know and "further studies" is something they all mention.

I did however find some good stuff on Ostreopsis Ovata and here is the short version.

When it's cultured it's reported to divide exponentially on day 10 from culture start, to be stationary on day 18 and senescent on day 25, not being able to divide anymore.
This would indicate that individual cells have at least a months lifespan.

They do produce a brown wax like mucilage in abundance that helps them to occupy surfaces.
They also produce a fibrous strands that adds mechanical properties to the mucilage as well as to form strings like you can see on my picture on page 1 of this thread.
I see these two as the two compounds in fiberglass strengthening each other.
These are also used to hold on to surfaces and possible predation on micro organisms adding palytoxins to the mix.
If that's how their mixotropic feeding goes I'd call their predation part teamwork.
(Credits go to Giorgio Honsell and team for this info).

Unread 10/28/2014, 07:36 AM   #365
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

Will this UV sterilizer work for my 120g with about 55g in sump? Will post my battle and pics hopefully tonight

Forgiven1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 11:42 AM   #366
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

May i add Id plan on running from my return and dump back into skimmer chamber of 3 section sump. Could this help with 3 days lights out and blasting rocks with cleaning back wall and pumps?

Unread 10/28/2014, 01:23 PM   #367
yeldarbj
Registered Member

A UV can help manage the problem but won't fix it in my experiences.

yeldarbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 05:51 PM   #368
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

My battle with dinos started about 2-3 weeks ago that i could tell. (New to this) had a small amount on pumps before that but we moved and i used all new wAter for the tank transfer. Not sure if there was any die off from rocks while arranging aqua scape or not. I came home one night and my wife had stripped a boarder in a very close bathroom and had painted the room. Wasnt sure if fumes could of leached into tank causing this problem or not. Heck im not 100% certain its dinos but whatever the heck it is has killed off most of all my sps. Ive went through all but the last 3 pages so far of this thread but finishing shortly. Seems like no sure thing so i was thinking of trying peroxide dosing in my 120g with 55g water in sump. While dosing i was wondering about running the above uv sterilizer for 3 days with lights out with the return end of sterilizer going into a filter sock that id change out and wash daily. Whats everyones opinions? Below is some pic.

Pants: ill likely shoot u a PM

Unread 10/28/2014, 05:53 PM   #369
Forgiven1973
Registered Member

Btw: this was on front and back of tank within a couple days. I had cleaned off front glass and before i knew it my red dragon was white and others dying

Unread 10/28/2014, 08:23 PM   #370
swk
Registered Member

From what I can see, doesn't look like dinos to me

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 08:28 PM   #371
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1973 View Post
My battle with dinos started about 2-3 weeks ago that i could tell. (New to this) had a small amount on pumps before that but we moved and i used all new wAter for the tank transfer. Not sure if there was any die off from rocks while arranging aqua scape or not. I came home one night and my wife had stripped a boarder in a very close bathroom and had painted the room. Wasnt sure if fumes could of leached into tank causing this problem or not. Heck im not 100% certain its dinos but whatever the heck it is has killed off most of all my sps. Ive went through all but the last 3 pages so far of this thread but finishing shortly. Seems like no sure thing so i was thinking of trying peroxide dosing in my 120g with 55g water in sump. While dosing i was wondering about running the above uv sterilizer for 3 days with lights out with the return end of sterilizer going into a filter sock that id change out and wash daily. Whats everyones opinions? Below is some pic.

Pants: ill likely shoot u a PM

[pics]
IMHO not any species of dinoflagellate I've seen.

Unread 10/31/2014, 01:02 PM   #372
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

55w SunSun CUV-155 UV Sterilizer should be here early next week. Will be placed on my return pump and have 100% water going through it, which is around 370GPH, right at 7.2GPH per watt. Should be sufficient for 'stage one' sterilization. Wish me luck.

Unread 10/31/2014, 03:29 PM   #373
DNA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterben View Post
55w SunSun CUV-155 UV Sterilizer should be here early next week. Will be placed on my return pump and have 100% water going through it, which is around 370GPH, right at 7.2GPH per watt. Should be sufficient for 'stage one' sterilization. Wish me luck.

This mode is very similar to what I tried for some months without any noticeable results.
I wish you good luck though.

Unread 10/31/2014, 03:30 PM   #374
jedimasterben
LED world domination!

Quote:
This mode is very similar to what I tried for some months without any noticeable results.
I wish you good luck though.
Were you running it the same way? I'd like to compare data once I have some

Unread 10/31/2014, 05:24 PM   #375
DNA
Registered Member

~600 g/h with more than 95% of my return pumps flow going through it.