Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 03:24 AM   #126
addo
Registered Member

The anemones are probably Majano, they are considered pests since they burn corals and multiply fairly quickly. But in your tank they probably wont do any harm. You deal with them the same way you treat Aptaisia, if they get out of hand.

addo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 06:41 AM   #127
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Great pics! So natural. No idea on the anemone.
Thank you Michael! I really like your barnacle blennies playing hide & seek in the lagoon

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 06:42 AM   #128
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
The anemones are probably Majano, they are considered pests since they burn corals and multiply fairly quickly. But in your tank they probably wont do any harm. You deal with them the same way you treat Aptaisia, if they get out of hand.
Oh no! I've been feeding them deliberately because i thought they're harmless. They look beautiful though Thank you for the ID!

Unread 05/07/2017, 07:15 AM   #129
cksss
Registered Member

And 2-months from the last updates, the C.Prolifera and the purple Ochtodes have grown quite abit.

The clownfish has also taken a liking for the C.Prolifera next to its nest (the glass bottle). It likes to stay motionless in that patch of C.Prolifera as if it is an anemone

No idea why some of the Ochtodes are 'browning' though

Unread 05/07/2017, 10:18 AM   #130
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice, cksss!

It's cool how planted tanks evolve over time, and with our adjustments.

It looks like the browning is happening where the plant gets the most light. This may suggest that plant prefers lower light, or it is photosynthesizing so well in those parts, that it's is using up a needed nutrient there. Since it has grown well there in the past, I suspect the latter.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2017, 11:12 AM   #131
karimwassef
Registered Member

Gorgeous...

What do you think it limiting them? What are you feeding? What's your Alk, Ca and Mg at?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 02:00 AM   #132
cksss
Registered Member

Oh nooo i'm not measuring those as my testkit covers only the basic parameters for fish-only setup (pH, NO2, NO3, PO4)

I have been fighting to get NO3 to stay above 10ppm though, i know the NO3 got dangerously low when some of the macro started fading. So likely the 'browning' as suggested is the lack of nutrient.

I dose the water with these twice a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Nice, cksss!

It's cool how planted tanks evolve over time, and with our adjustments.

It looks like the browning is happening where the plant gets the most light. This may suggest that plant prefers lower light, or it is photosynthesizing so well in those parts, that it's is using up a needed nutrient there. Since it has grown well there in the past, I suspect the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Gorgeous...

What do you think it limiting them? What are you feeding? What's your Alk, Ca and Mg at?

Last edited by cksss; 05/08/2017 at 02:35 AM.
Unread 05/08/2017, 03:21 AM   #133
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ochtodes are common wherever there are stony corals when I dive. I don't know if that implies that they need Alk and Ca.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 06/15/2017, 08:22 AM   #134
cksss
Registered Member

Look at how much the Ochtodes has recovered! woohooo

And new favorite spot for the filefish

No anemone no problem

Unread 06/15/2017, 01:36 PM   #135
HuskerBioProf
Registered Member

Loving this tank

HuskerBioProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2017, 09:49 PM   #136
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Fantastic color combination with the blue/purple and green! Beautiful!

Unread 06/20/2017, 05:44 AM   #137
cksss
Registered Member

Thank you )

Unread 09/04/2017, 07:09 AM   #138
cksss
Registered Member

Here are the updates since June of the 'Ochtodes Lagoon'

Added quite a number of Cerith snails and also a Starry blenny

The full tank shot in July

The full tank shot in September (All the fishes are still alive, they went into hiding!!)

Transplanted lots of macros and mini sea-fan from the over-flow

Recused lots of inverts (fanworms, fireworm, pods, mini-stars) when I was cleaning up the sump. Almost discarded them if I did not inspect the overgrown macros carefully.

The main tank is still largely lighted by natural sunlight while the sump is on 24/7 plant light. Here's the kind of view the habitats in the tank get to enjoy.

Unread 09/04/2017, 09:02 AM   #139
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice to see a progression. Great pics! Your overflow and sump are a goldmine! Love the penthouse view too!

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:31 AM   #140
cksss
Registered Member

Oct updates on the 'Ochtodes Lagoon'

Unread 10/13/2017, 10:12 AM   #141
karimwassef
Registered Member

Wow... plastic baggie with a clump - express mail

Think about it.

Unread 10/13/2017, 08:20 PM   #142
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow... plastic baggie with a clump - express mail

Think about it.
i've been wanting to do that, but had a hard time securing them to rocks. The chances of loss pieces surviving are lower under in-experienced hands. Also driven by the fact that they need high-flow. I tried binding them to rocks with strings and they took very long to attach naturally Tried superglue but critters living in the Ochtodes didnt like the approach.. maybe will try again

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:10 PM   #143
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'm good at securing things to rock.

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:33 PM   #144
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm good at securing things to rock.
haha thats great! would love more suggestion on securing the Ochtodes

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:27 AM   #145
karimwassef
Registered Member

I'd need to see and touch it first. Personally, I'm a big fan of hole anchors and zip ties around short spans.

For example, I'll drill a small hole and fill it with epoxy putty and and superglue with an opening in the middle of that mess for the branch... once it's in, I apply more superglue so the base is packed.

Also, the same idea but horizontal works too + zip ties around branches so it's basically tied down at multiple points at once and superglued at the base and head in a hole.

I use this for stubborn sea fans that need to be blasted with flow but anchored down like the dickens!

Unread 10/18/2017, 08:39 PM   #146
phobos2deimos
Registered Member

I've had fantastic luck with ochtodes and Hypnea Pannosa by simply stuffing little chunks into the nooks of my rock, or by rubberbanding it to chunks of rubble. It roots in just a bit and holds fine. That stuff grew like weeds in my "prop fuge" and IIRC shipped surprisingly well.

Pretty cool to see it react differently to different light colors and intensity.

Unread 10/20/2017, 06:59 AM   #147
cksss
Registered Member

omg! thanks for the tips!
I am sure selling these 'weeds' r very profitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos2deimos View Post
I've had fantastic luck with ochtodes and Hypnea Pannosa by simply stuffing little chunks into the nooks of my rock, or by rubberbanding it to chunks of rubble. It roots in just a bit and holds fine. That stuff grew like weeds in my "prop fuge" and IIRC shipped surprisingly well.

Pretty cool to see it react differently to different light colors and intensity.

Unread 10/25/2017, 04:27 AM   #148
cksss
Registered Member

Photos of the tank inhabitants taken early in the morning before feeding time when the fishes are most hungry and ironically most active.

One of the mandarin pair hunting for pods in the macros forest

Added an Koran Angelfish recently

The most elusive fish to photography, the starry blenny

The green macros here get snapped up by the tang and angelfish real fast! Fortunately they grow fast in the sump too

Unread 10/25/2017, 06:01 AM   #149
psidriven
Registered Member

Any tips for growing ochotodes? I have some and can't seem to grow it. Its in a sps tank so should be enough light and flow.

Current Tank Info: 24 cube a go, baby walks
psidriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 08:51 AM   #150
cksss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidriven View Post
Any tips for growing ochotodes? I have some and can't seem to grow it. Its in a sps tank so should be enough light and flow.
It could be lack of certain nutrient? My macros wont be happy (stops growing or starts dying) if the NO3 is below 5ppm, and these are what i've been dosing twice weekly