Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Ab129
Registered Member

BTA moving around?

So I have my BTA for about 5-6 weeks. After a week of hiding he came out and seemed to have found his happy spot. He would shrink at night when the lights were out and be out all day while lights on
A few days ago he moved a few inches to the next rock up and then moved again a day or two after that but he was still out and visible.
This morning he moved back into kind of a hiding spot under a rock ledge in the back and he hasn’t really opened fully today.
My first reaction was to check my water and parameters are all good
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
nitrates 0
Ph 8.4
Only difference is my salinity dropped to 1.024.
Could that be it?
I will get it back to 25 when I do my water change this weekend but just wondering if that could be what’s bothering him?

Current Tank Info: nitrates 0 SG 1.026, pH 8.1
Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Anemonee
Registered Member

He’s just trying to find a happy spot. They are very peculiar and move where they please. I had a RBT that moved around a lot. Just keep an eye on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anemonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2018, 10:29 PM   #3
manilaboy1vic
Registered Member

dont let it be with out light for weeks and weeks.. it will bleach, happend to me with my first bta..

my second one.. i placed it in the tank.. he moved a bit.. then settled, trying to hide or wahtever, then i just took that rock and postioned the rock so he would have light.. now that bta is 4..

if hes starting to lose color then feed him .. if his color is fine, then really no need to feed it ...

my maroon feeds his host, thats why its 4 nems instead of just one.. heh.

daily feeding of mysis will make a bta split.. i learned that when i got my rbta.. i wanted it to grow so i gave it a lil mysis every other day and it split into two..

manilaboy1vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Ab129
Registered Member

So I just realized that as of about an hour ago I am now the proud owner of 2 BTAs!
Is it likely that the impending split is why he started moving around last week?
Is this a common behavioral pattern or coincidence?

Unread 05/12/2018, 05:26 PM   #5
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Maybe it got stressed not being able to find a place it liked and thus split. BTAs like rocks with deep crevices. Do you have that?

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Ab129
Registered Member

It did seem happy for a few weeks in that spot before it started moving around.
Since the split the original has not moved. The newcomer moved all the way across to the opposite side of the tank where my two dumb clownfish hang out ( since they refuse to go near the anemone).
It’s almost as if he is inviting them in but they insist on giving him a wide berth!!
Any chance that one day they will get the idea?

Unread 05/14/2018, 01:52 PM   #7
hijinks
Registered Member

Mine always move when they split. I've even had some that sat in one spot for a year.. then moved.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote