Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: if you have kept a blue spot jawfish how long did it survive
3 months or less 21 31.82%
3 to 9 months 15 22.73%
9 months to 2 years 16 24.24%
2 years + 17 25.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2016, 06:22 PM   #251
dave.m
Registered Member

Go slow. Try not to shock the rest of the system too much.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 01:33 PM   #252
Blue spot
Registered Member

Cheers Dave . I was thinking of increasing by around 20 a day and was going to aim for 1600 . What do you think ? Also I'm a little unsure how long to hold it at that for once I get there a day a week a month ?? Figured I will know when something happens.

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2016, 03:29 PM   #253
dave.m
Registered Member

Depends on what product you use. Some products are not as pure as others. Also, some products contain other heavy metals besides magnesium and these are not always listed, e.g. Kent Tech-M. These metals can also help put a crimp in the briopsis but are actually a source of pollution so you don't want to use them long term.

You should follow the manufacturer's recommendations for your size tank. It should take you a week to a week-and-a-half to reach your target range of 1400-1600 ppm. Monitor magnesium levels to measure your treatment's progress. See if you have success at the lower levels first to see if that is sufficient. Safer not to overdo it.

Monitor your alkalinity throughout the treatment as increased magnesium can throw your water chemistry off. You may have to add more buffer.

Run the treatment for about two weeks or until the briopsis plague disappears. Follow up with increased GAC to filter those heavy metals out of your system before they start to have a negative impact on the rest of your pets.

When not treating briopsis I would suggest you use a purer form of magnesium like Salifert Liquid Magnesium or Brightwell's Magnesion.

Go slow. Do a Search of RC or Google for more treatments and experiences. It never hurts to get as big a picture as you can before starting.

Dave.M

Unread 03/23/2016, 01:17 PM   #254
Blue spot
Registered Member

Great advice thanks Dave.

Unread 03/30/2016, 02:39 AM   #255
Blue spot
Registered Member

Byropsis update. I am still raising my magnesium levels at the moment , no change in byropsis yet , it's running rampant as I have stopped pulling it. I'll get a picture to show you what I'm up against. I did find something out though. My magnesium test was out of whack , when I change to a new test kit I am getting much lower readings so I am wondering if this low magnesium level has contributed to the byropsis taking off ? The corals do not seem to be minding the new higher levels as yet. I have one monti that I have had for a while looking a little ropey but apart from that no ill signs as yet.

Unread 03/31/2016, 12:11 PM   #256
Blue spot
Registered Member

Update on magnesium raise. I've just hit 1450 on magnesium and my plate corals have disintegrate in a single day ! This must be one coral that doesn't like high magnesium levels. Lost 3 in a morning , completely stripped of flesh

Unread 03/31/2016, 12:26 PM   #257
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue spot View Post
Update on magnesium raise. I've just hit 1450 on magnesium and my plate corals have disintegrate in a single day ! This must be one coral that doesn't like high magnesium levels. Lost 3 in a morning , completely stripped of flesh

Oh wow that's terrible. I'm sorry. Which mag supplement are you using?

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2016, 12:40 PM   #258
Blue spot
Registered Member

I'm finishing off some fauna Marin , and then going on to the triton . I've started the calcium on the triton already , but my mag was taking forever to get through . Not any more though . I'm having to put in 100ml a day to get a rise of 20 . The worst bit is my byropsis seams to be getting stronger it's like some super algae . I've had an old rock outside in the garden for 6 months , all through winter. Looked at it the other day and the byropsis was still green on it . What chance do I have. its indestructible . Im gonna build my next house out of the stuff.

Unread 03/31/2016, 12:41 PM   #259
Blue spot
Registered Member

Forgot to ask martini. Did you ever get you're blue spot ?

Unread 03/31/2016, 01:13 PM   #260
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Forgot to ask martini. Did you ever get you're blue spot ?

Yes I got one from live aquaria last Friday, came in with white patches. It's still alive, I was pretty positive it was gonna die the other day but it's still hanging in there. Live aquaria sent me a replacement and it came in today actually. This one looks better than the other one. We will see. Bsj number one is in qt with kanaplex right now. Both got a formalin bath before going into quarantine. So we will see.

Unread 03/31/2016, 01:23 PM   #261
dave.m
Registered Member

It might be a good idea to replace your current test kits to make sure you are getting accurate readings. It's also a worthwhile idea to have test kits from different makers to ensure one of them isn't way off.

Dave.M

Unread 04/01/2016, 12:01 PM   #262
Blue spot
Registered Member

Now Dave your not gonna believe me here , but I am normally a good little reefer when it comes to this and I realy do have multiple kits for certain things. But not for magnesium , i have a little bit of colour blindness so struggle to see a change with certain tests. For magnesium I can only read/see the Red Sea kit tried all sort of brands . Nothing more satisfying than when you start your test the water looks purple and when you finish it . Lol
Doesn't sound to good martini with the white spot thing , but if their is one thing I have learned about bsjf it's that you never know, I would have put Bert down as a gonna aswell but he's out survived everyone. Have you got little homes for them in the QT. I have found they freak out if they can't burry. Not heard about treating with kanaplex, sounds interesting . Have you started a thread on it yet ? If so would you post a link so I can have a look.

Unread 04/01/2016, 12:48 PM   #263
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Now Dave your not gonna believe me here , but I am normally a good little reefer when it comes to this and I realy do have multiple kits for certain things. But not for magnesium , i have a little bit of colour blindness so struggle to see a change with certain tests. For magnesium I can only read/see the Red Sea kit tried all sort of brands . Nothing more satisfying than when you start your test the water looks purple and when you finish it . Lol
Doesn't sound to good martini with the white spot thing , but if their is one thing I have learned about bsjf it's that you never know, I would have put Bert down as a gonna aswell but he's out survived everyone. Have you got little homes for them in the QT. I have found they freak out if they can't burry. Not heard about treating with kanaplex, sounds interesting . Have you started a thread on it yet ? If so would you post a link so I can have a look.

I haven't. They have containers of sand in the qt but won't use them. They also have PVC pipes, rocks. Doesn't seem to matter. Not sure exactly what to do. They are in separate qt right now. I honestly thought the one was almost dead. Now it's still alive and I'm not sure what to do :/ I'm gonna have to figure
Something else I out though because they are just
Laying on the bottom
Of the tank and won't use the containers

Unread 04/03/2016, 10:16 AM   #264
Blue spot
Registered Member

Blue spot news . Beryl my new blue spot is brown bread . No idea why with beryl, she was eating , made a home , not overly. shy but got up this morning and dead . No signs of ill health but a big chunk of skin missing on the tail , but this could have happened after death . Realy confused . Bert is still doing good so can't say it was water quality. The only thing that has moved is my engineer goby, these can do some damage as I have seen in the past so it could have been that ? I'm gonna have to sort this female blue spot thing out and quickly , I'm running out of names beginning with b .

Unread 04/03/2016, 10:21 AM   #265
Blue spot
Registered Member

Another update is my magnesium rise to kill the byropsis . I hate doing this as it is sending my tank into unknown territory for me. I've got stuck at around 1400 . But my calcium has climbed massively , I know everything is linked but I wasn't expecting this . I've stopped dosing calcium completely to see what happens . At the moment I am in tank misery. I normally get a lot of pleasure out of it but at the moment it's doing my head in, I'm watching all my corals getting swamped with this byropsis and nothing seams to be denting it yet.

Unread 04/04/2016, 02:25 PM   #266
Blue spot
Registered Member

Right enough of the glum. Doing lots of research on byropsis. Getting conflicting information though. Clean up crew, I have a small clean up crew compared to the size of my tank. I have around 5 snails, 10 hermits , a chocolate chip starfish ( yes I know these are coral eaters) and a long spiked urchin. I have read that snails will dent byropsis and also they will not ? Raising magnesium if not using Kent will not effect byropsis v/s any magnesium raise will remove byropsis ? Pulling byropsis spreads it throughout the tank due to spores being released , pulling byropsis is the only way to remove it ? Byropsis thrives in pristine water conditions, byropsis can be eradicated with ultra low phos and nitrates and regular water changes ?
Everything I have read is contradictory and I have yet to read something where someone has written I have beaten byropsis. If you can help me with any links or personal experience I would realy appreciate it . Not sure what to try next.

Unread 04/04/2016, 04:51 PM   #267
Ricardo18
Registered Member

Your first line is a clue...Snails and crabs are relatively cheap..LOAD UP..can't hurt!

Current Tank Info: 500 gallon display,650 system Lifereef Skimmer Ozone UV Apex Radion Genesis
Ricardo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2016, 09:58 AM   #268
Blue spot
Registered Member

Good idea Ricardo I'm going stick a load in

Unread 04/09/2016, 03:34 AM   #269
Blue spot
Registered Member

Well it's officially a disaster ! Trying to raise my magnesium has gone very wrong for me, I cannot get my magnesium above 1,400 and my calcium is going through the roof. The obvious enough thing is that I have gotten confused with my dosing containers or something but this is not the case and I have tested the contents even though I was 100% sure I hadn't mixed them. Do not know what I have done wrong. But the outcome is byropsis still a plague proportions, I've lost 6 fish in a week (including my feminus wrasse) and today my powder blue has white spot, probably from all the stress of the strange water quality I now have. This is why for me I hate doing any chemical intervention . I always have something go wrong !
So crisis plan. First thing I am getting in the tank with a syphon and a wire brush to get as much byropsis gone as I can. Then water change to try and get my parameters back to normal, then I'm going to add 3 million snails . From here we will see what happens . Wish me luck again ( I am so ****ed off )

Unread 04/09/2016, 04:11 AM   #270
dave.m
Registered Member

Sorry things have gone awry for you. Get your water parameters back to normal before adding snails and things. They are far more sensitive to water chemistry than fish.

Just a thought: Do you regularly clean your sandbed or have a sandbed clean-up crew (nassarius snails, conchs, sand-sifting gobies, etc.)? Do you regularly clean your rock of settled debris to be swept up and captured by your filter socks? These steps can help eliminate a lot of pollutants that can feed algae in the tank.

Dave.M

Unread 04/09/2016, 06:12 AM   #271
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi Dave. Yeh my sandbed isn't 2 bad. I have gobys and Nass snails , I'm not going to say I have a ultra low nutrient tank. My nitrates used to be around 15 to 20 and I have improved this to 2 to 5 . I have a rollomat which does a great job of taking out anything before it hits the sump so I regularly get the turkey Bastet in a squirt the rocks. The byropsis clings to the most pores parts of the rock. So say on plating rock the top will be unaffected but the edges will be covered . That was one of my questions though, I have read that nutrient control will not eliminate byropsis. If it does I will work on this but can't find anyone who has had luck with this. I should point out aswell I don't get any other algae problems , I had bubble early on but this has all but gone now, mind you with this much byropsis nothing else gets a chance

Unread 04/09/2016, 03:17 PM   #272
Blue spot
Registered Member

First stage completed I started just after my last post and I have only just sat down. All rock removed and scrubbed and replaced. Water change done. Tomorrow I will see what the damage is to my water quality and get a load of clean up crew. Done a new layout while I was at it. Looks a little more like your traditional wall of rock now and I've removed quite a lot of rock aswell. Less rock less byropsis was my theory.

Unread 04/10/2016, 02:09 PM   #273
Blue spot
Registered Member

Firstly , tank is lookin bangin again ! Second thing is I went to my lfs to pick up some clean up crew. I had told him about how I had some success with the co2 scrubber, and he added it to his tanks to try it out aswell. He has now turned it off again as he has had an algae explosion also, not byropsis just the glass and a bit of filament algae . Looking back my byropsis explosion also tied in with adding the co2 scrubber. After doing more research it seams like this is a thing (typing in co2 scrubber and algae Blume) so I've turned it off again. Another good thing is that when I stripped my tank out I found a huge crab , the bad type right where the beryl blue spot was . I am wondering now if this is what got beryl as I said it was a strange death also ties in with my feminus wrasse who had just been sort of speared through her stomach ( though I still wonder if this was a gyre injury) . Anyway terrible reefing month but all good learning and hopefully back on the up. I'll get some pictures of the new layout next week

Unread 04/11/2016, 01:58 PM   #274
Blue spot
Registered Member

Unread 04/11/2016, 01:59 PM   #275
Blue spot
Registered Member

Tags
8ft, blue spot, new tank, reef