Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:39 PM   #26
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

lol .... Now if they were blue pussycats ....

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 08:59 PM   #27
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I don’t think many people order damsels from LA. Only if they need a few dollars to reach certain total.
That’s probably correct but I have to imagine tons of stores order them from QM. My damsels are probably my favorite fish in my tank aside from the Choati wrasses. Hawaiian flame angels, copperband, latz clowns, moyeri wrasse and the damsels are my favorite. Have a couple tuxedo damsels on the way from LA now.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Moort82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I've actually never kept azures - though LA notes them as larger than the YT (though not by much ). Maybe I will try them instead.
Fishbase lists them both as 7.0cm TL but I've never seen an azure much bigger than 2" whereas I've seen plenty of yt nearer 3". They are still basically the same damsel in a slightly different colour scheme but I prefer the slightly smaller, more yellow appearance of the azure (that and I've never had anything approaching a 450 gallons so space is limited).
There is a lovely species which is a mix of the two, has the same temprement and is becoming more common. https://www.reeflex.net/tiere/3156_C...ra_arnazae.htm

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 11:24 AM   #29
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
lol .... Now if they were blue pussycats ....
I’m sure you get the codes too but 15LA2DAY is 15% off over $199

Unread 12/12/2017, 12:04 PM   #30
anbosu
Registered Member

In my experience you would be fine adding a large number of that genus without issue. I have 2 talbots, 1 springeri, 1 tracy, 1 cyanea, and 1 roland's damsel in my 100g. In my 360 I have a similar mix with a tuxedo as well. They are hardy, colorful fish that are usually pretty inexpensive. The captive bred ones are pretty reasonably priced too, I have 2 of the talbots and 3 of the azure and they've all done really well for me so far.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 12:26 PM   #31
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
In my experience you would be fine adding a large number of that genus without issue. I have 2 talbots, 1 springeri, 1 tracy, 1 cyanea, and 1 roland's damsel in my 100g. In my 360 I have a similar mix with a tuxedo as well. They are hardy, colorful fish that are usually pretty inexpensive. The captive bred ones are pretty reasonably priced too, I have 2 of the talbots and 3 of the azure and they've all done really well for me so far.
Yea, I’m really impressed they are captive breeding them for the price they are charging. No chance they are making much, if any, profit on them. If live aquaria is selling them for $10 I can’t imagine the breeder is getting more than $2-3 for them.

Unread 12/12/2017, 12:33 PM   #32
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Yea, I’m really impressed they are captive breeding them for the price they are charging. No chance they are making much, if any, profit on them. If live aquaria is selling them for $10 I can’t imagine the breeder is getting more than $2-3 for them.
I picked up a captive bred rabbitfish for $40-50 on DD as well. It seems like some breeders are starting to achieve some pretty impressive economies of scale with their operations.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 12:51 PM   #33
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
I picked up a captive bred rabbitfish for $40-50 on DD as well. It seems like some breeders are starting to achieve some pretty impressive economies of scale with their operations.
Must be. I guess once you get the system down it probably gets pretty streamlined. Still seems like it would cost them more in food than what they are making on the damsels.

Unread 12/12/2017, 05:28 PM   #34
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I’m sure you get the codes too but 15LA2DAY is 15% off over $199
Was on business travel today so didn't see ..... thx for the heads up.

Unread 12/19/2017, 05:29 PM   #35
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

If you end up with a good sized group, keep us updated please. I'm setting up a 210 and was wanting to try a group of Anthias as well, but the yellow tail damsel route is very intriguing. I really like my little yellow tails.

I have 3 yellow tails in my 40 breeder and they get along fine, though I'm not sure how much of that is because my Coral Beauty Angel tries its hardest to terrorize them. The damsels barely even acknowledge each others existence.

Unread 12/19/2017, 08:44 PM   #36
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have 15 in quarantine. Will see how they do.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/08/2018, 10:35 PM   #37
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

So I ended up getting 13 of them through QT. One stayed in my son's tank and the other 12 were added to the display. Content the long time resident, that makes for a baker's dozen. We shall see how they do. If sucessful, will probably look to add more.

Unread 02/08/2018, 10:42 PM   #38
saf1
Registered Member

What did you end up putting in or did I miss the damsel type/family?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 08:30 AM   #39
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
I've actually never kept azures - though LA notes them as larger than the YT (though not by much ). Maybe I will try them instead.
Interestingly LA now lists azures and yellow tails as the same size -- both 2.75.

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:05 AM   #40
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
What did you end up putting in or did I miss the damsel type/family?
I guess I never actually said. I went with the standard yellow-tail damsels because that's what LA had.

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:06 AM   #41
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW64 View Post
Interestingly LA now lists azures and yellow tails as the same size -- both 2.75.
So they do .....

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:15 AM   #42
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
So they do .....
I've often wondered where LA (or anybody really) gets their "Max. size" numbers from. Or now, what makes them change one? Overall, my stocking plan is to stick with smaller fish -- mostly because of my philosophy that I'm trying to create a small model of a real reef. I feel that smaller fish help create that illusion. So when deciding which damsel to have a group of, I was leaning towards the yellowtail -- mostly because they were listed as smaller, even if only slightly. Now I guess I can go with the Azures which I love!

Unread 02/09/2018, 04:58 PM   #43
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I never actually said. I went with the standard yellow-tail damsels because that's what LA had.
Thanks. I had three azures in my 40 breeder. They got along for a while then I think two paired up and that was it for the 3rd. Those two stayed together for over 2 years then one day I had a bacteria bloom or something and both almost died. Once everything recovered (I didn't actually lose anything) they started to fight for some reason and that lead to another death. Odd really because they became a pair/mated. Go figure.

In my 210 that I just started the cycle once it is done and ready to go I'll be adding some damsels at the same time. I'll be going with a mix of Talbots, Tracey's, and Azures. I may add a Tuxedo in there since they are all members of the chrysiptera family which I believe are typically more mellow. At least with the Azure and Talbots I've owned in the past.

With 150 lbs of Pukani I have plenty of safety zones for them

Unread 02/09/2018, 10:05 PM   #44
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I have come to believe that the 'secret' to a sustainable group of damsels, chromis or pseudoanthias is to feed the tank a lot. Mine get fed 3-4 times a day not including the sheet of nori for the herbs. When one of my QT tank becomes available again I probably will add a group of azures also. Right now all six of them are inhabited.

Unread 02/10/2018, 09:12 PM   #45
saf1
Registered Member

I'll have to see what or how many fish I have that have blue and yellow in them. I'm considering Starcki's also in lieu of Azures maybe. More expensive though and sometimes hard to find. They are larger and somewhat remind me of a pygmy angel and I'm already taking / moving my coral beauty in.

Unread 02/11/2018, 01:28 AM   #46
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

All starcki lost bright colours in my tank and they are may be more aggressive than others.
I would prefer smaller ones in the future which are less aggressive

Greetings Torben

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:41 AM   #47
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've had aggression problems with Starki also. YT (never kept azure) are the only damsel I have kept that i still will.

Unread 02/11/2018, 10:01 AM   #48
saf1
Registered Member

Starki are aggressive huh? That is good to know - especially around the color fading.

Thanks both!

Unread 02/11/2018, 09:07 PM   #49
irishmarine
Registered Member

Was looking to get a bunch to act as a school

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 650 (180G), T5 (800w), 2x250 Maxspect Gyre, Refugium
irishmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:10 PM   #50
Naraku
Registered Member

i got 6 starckis. Will update the progress.

Naraku is offline   Reply With Quote