Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/09/2016, 08:44 AM   #1
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Tunze 9004 - tuning question

My 9004 was pulling disgusting sludge and doing great so of course I got the bright idea of cleaning the cup. Now I am overflowing within hours.

I think the 2 things I should do to dial it in a little more is tight the screw (less air), and maybe raise it a little?

What kind of cleaning schedule do you suggest, and is vinegar bath okay?

Well built unit and I really enjoy it.

thelawnwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2016, 09:57 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you!

First, I would make sure that the foaming up didn't coincide with an organic additive, carbon dosing, stress coat, water change with dechlorinator, something like that, if so it will subside on its own within a week.

Make sure the depth is right, 1/3- 1/2 of the intake should be submerged, not more. You can close the air, but do so as little as possible, closing the air increases the water flow and the stronger faster water flow will result in more escaping micro bubbles.

I would generally clean the cup every 3-7 days as needed, fully disassemble and clean the skimmer every 6 months. Vinegar is OK and a good idea for the semiannual cleaning to remove salt crust in the air passages and calcium deposits in the pump. I don't think it is needed when new, it can speed up break in but that usually is mostly over within a week anyway.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2016, 09:04 AM   #3
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
First, I would make sure that the foaming up didn't coincide with an organic additive, carbon dosing, stress coat, water change with dechlorinator, something like that, if so it will subside on its own within a week.
I really stirred up some junk by blowing of rocks after a little lapse in maintenance. That might have something to do with it? I opened it back up. I might raise it a little. Lol the magnets are so strong I am really going to need a little time to get in there. Have it on an inner wall in all in one fluval.

Thanks for advice.

Unread 08/11/2016, 09:37 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

My experience is stirring up stuff has an effect, but sometimes the opposite, fine sediments will tend to reduce skimming (minerals, dust), fine organics will tend to increase.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 08/14/2016, 12:08 PM   #5
thelawnwrangler
Registered Member

skinmate is back to disgusting so ....thanks lol

Unread 08/15/2016, 09:15 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Smile

Unread 11/08/2017, 02:10 PM   #7
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Gonna res an old thread to keep from cluttering the subform with my own topics.

My 9004 seems to have "on days" and "off days". More of the last.

Is there a master guide to tuning or tricks. I can not imaging my water is "too Clean".

IM FUSION 30 gal with high bar high, juvenile trio of ocillaris, royal gramma juvenile, and misc inverts. Feed 3 x a week.

If even settle for over-skimming / wet skimmate

necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 02:19 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

This is not uncommon when a skimmer is oversized, when there is not enough material to build a foam head that reaches the cup, nothing is skimmed into the cup. I would first check the basic mechanicals, make sure the impeller cover with the airhose attached is actually clipped onto the pump and not free to move around. If this checks out it comes down to a constant depth of not more than half the intake submerged and not less than 1/4. Otherwise the only adjustment is air and it should be open as much as possible so that skimming is not just water.

Unread 11/13/2017, 03:48 PM   #9
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Got it dialed in. Now onto microbubbles

necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote