Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/07/2015, 02:37 PM   #1
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Transition to Aquaforest from Biopellets

Hi,
I've been running my SPS heavy system for over a year on All-In-One biopellets and have had very good success, but I am curious about your system. Can you describe the process for transitioning to your zeolites. I read through your guide and the instructions are good for new tank startup only.

I would like to know recommended amounts, flows, etc.
System info:
2 Tanks plumbed to one common sump. Each tank is lit with T5 Bulbs.
System Volume 195US gallons
Currently using ~750ml-1L All in one biopellets
Oversized skimmer(Reef Octopus Diablo DC 200 EXT)
Calcium and Alkalinity are maintained with DIY 2-part
Dosing of FM color elements weekly, Lugols iodine daily.
Fish fed heavily 2-3 times per day, 27 fish between the 2 tanks.

I have a Vertex zeolite reactor I would use for your system.

Thanks in advance for the information!

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
mhucasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
Hi,
I've been running my SPS heavy system for over a year on All-In-One biopellets and have had very good success, but I am curious about your system. Can you describe the process for transitioning to your zeolites. I read through your guide and the instructions are good for new tank startup only.

I would like to know recommended amounts, flows, etc.
System info:
2 Tanks plumbed to one common sump. Each tank is lit with T5 Bulbs.
System Volume 195US gallons
Currently using ~750ml-1L All in one biopellets
Oversized skimmer(Reef Octopus Diablo DC 200 EXT)
Calcium and Alkalinity are maintained with DIY 2-part
Dosing of FM color elements weekly, Lugols iodine daily.
Fish fed heavily 2-3 times per day, 27 fish between the 2 tanks.

I have a Vertex zeolite reactor I would use for your system.

Thanks in advance for the information!
Hello,
Aquaforest created liquid polymers - -NP Pro - that feed for probiotic bacteria ( Pro Bio S)

You dont need any filters for that - just drop into Your tank
Also You can buy liquid polymers prepared for dosing pumps (5ml/100L)

I think that those products can replace pellets.
Good duet: -NP Pro + Pro Bio S.

+

Also we have some equivalent for another of products which You are using.

For Your methode to refill Ca,KH and MG it will be good to dose some microelements - for colors:

We have in our offer:
Microelements

(click on photo to go to our webside)

You can also use our zeolites:
Zeo Mix

Aquaforest

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2015, 12:45 PM   #3
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaforest View Post
Hello,
Aquaforest created liquid polymers - -NP Pro - that feed for probiotic bacteria ( Pro Bio S)

You dont need any filters for that - just drop into Your tank
Also You can buy liquid polymers prepared for dosing pumps (5ml/100L)

I think that those products can replace pellets.
Good duet: -NP Pro + Pro Bio S.

+

Also we have some equivalent for another of products which You are using.

For Your methode to refill Ca,KH and MG it will be good to dose some microelements - for colors:

We have in our offer:
Microelements

(click on photo to go to our webside)

You can also use our zeolites:
Zeo Mix

Aquaforest
I think I have a good understanding of the products and what they do, my question was how to transition to the system. I was specifically interested in the Zeolites as I have previous experience with Zeovit system which I found to be too aggressive for my tank. your system seems more gentle.

I would plan to do a large water change with your probiotic salt to begin.

Should I remove the biopellets a bit at a time or all at once? If I want to use the stones, how much would you recommend and how much flow through them? Should I start with a lower amount of stones and increase it or start with a lower flow and increase it?

See my tank thread here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2468548

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Rimless Starphire Shallow Reef. Reef Octopus Diablo EXT-200 skimmer, Chaeto Reactor, Lighting: ATI Sunpower 8X39W, 6X39W Sunpower
Unread 12/10/2015, 08:55 PM   #4
chercm
Registered Member

I heard that the zeolite from Aqua forest does not need a zeolite reactor separately . there is a reefer by the nick - Debora , she is using - carbon , Zeomix and phosphate minus - all in one FR .

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 09:33 PM   #5
rburns24
Registered Member

-
What is FR? A reactor?
-

rburns24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2015, 10:03 PM   #6
chercm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns24 View Post
-
What is FR? A reactor?
-
Fluidized reactor

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2015, 05:16 AM   #7
Debora
Registered Member

Hi mhucasey.
I think that that zeolith stones are very simillar.
That just zeolith
You can use that in Your Zeo reactor or in fluized reactor.
There is no need to shake stones in Aquaforest methode.

I have in my fluized reactor (with New Jet 1200pump) : Zeo Mix, Phoshate Minus and Carbon - I saw it in Aquaforest display tank and frag tanks and I did it the same way. You Can use maximum water flow from start.

Probiotic Reef Salt conatins bacteria,feed for bacteria, amino and vitamins also I am using Probiotic Reef Salt from start but also You can start from Reef Salt - the same salt but without bacteria, feed for bacteria,amino and vitamins.

There is no need to remove biopellets.

Debora.

Debora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2015, 09:47 AM   #8
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debora View Post
Hi mhucasey.
I think that that zeolith stones are very simillar.
That just zeolith
You can use that in Your Zeo reactor or in fluized reactor.
There is no need to shake stones in Aquaforest methode.

I have in my fluized reactor (with New Jet 1200pump) : Zeo Mix, Phoshate Minus and Carbon - I saw it in Aquaforest display tank and frag tanks and I did it the same way. You Can use maximum water flow from start.

Probiotic Reef Salt conatins bacteria,feed for bacteria, amino and vitamins also I am using Probiotic Reef Salt from start but also You can start from Reef Salt - the same salt but without bacteria, feed for bacteria,amino and vitamins.

There is no need to remove biopellets.

Debora.
Do you have the zeolites, Phosphate minus, and carbon in layers or all mixed together? How much are you using and what flow rate do you use through the stones?

I use the All-in-one pellets, which have a form of GFO in them. They can handle the nutrient load of this tank by themselves so I think combining them with the Aquaforest system would be overkill. I would like to try the Aquaforest system using their components only and with an initial water change with the Probiotic salt. How often do you do water changes?

Thanks for your help with these questions!

Unread 12/13/2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Myka
Reefing since '93

Matt, where are you going to buy the Aquaforest products? I'm tagging along too because I'm interested as well, but don't know if I can get my hands on the products. I emailed Aquaforest a few months ago asking about Canadian distributors, but they didn't answer my email.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2015, 09:37 AM   #10
rburns24
Registered Member

-
The only place I've found so far is http://www.saltysupply.com/supplies/...html?brand=202

Something closer would be nice.
-

Unread 12/13/2015, 09:38 AM   #11
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Matt, where are you going to buy the Aquaforest products? I'm tagging along too because I'm interested as well, but don't know if I can get my hands on the products. I emailed Aquaforest a few months ago asking about Canadian distributors, but they didn't answer my email.
I have purchased the products, waiting for delivery. I'll keep track of what I'm doing and the results in my tank journal.
I bought some from Salty Supply and some from Amazon.

Last edited by mhucasey; 12/13/2015 at 09:45 AM.
Unread 12/13/2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Myka
Reefing since '93

Amazon? Interesting, that could be an outlet for me. The salt would be the biggest issue though...I'll check into Salty Supply too. Thanks guys.

Current Tank Info: 69 SPS (73 gal net) established July 1/15. (HBD Canada!) ATB 840, ATI 6-bulb dimmable. Fauna Marin balling lite method.
Myka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2015, 12:22 PM   #13
rburns24
Registered Member

-
The stuff on amazon.com ships from Salty Supply.
-

Unread 12/13/2015, 01:17 PM   #14
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburns24 View Post
-
The stuff on amazon.com ships from Salty Supply.
-
They must reserve stock for sales through Amazon. The Probiotic salt was available in stock there and back ordered at Salty Supply.

Unread 12/13/2015, 02:16 PM   #15
rburns24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhucasey View Post
They must reserve stock for sales through Amazon. The Probiotic salt was available in stock there and back ordered at Salty Supply.
-
Interesting how inter-business relationships work.
-

Unread 12/13/2015, 10:40 PM   #16
alexXx
Registered Member

I picked this product at my LFS for my new tank build. only 1/2 of the original order was sent out and half was lost in shipment due to damage. Only 2 buckets of Probiotic salt came in for more than 8 of us waiting. now there is another shipment due sometime next week and word has gone around about it's availability and it's chaos. Seems the supply is unable to keep up with the demand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aquaforest.jpg (47.7 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by alexXx; 12/13/2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: image was not showing
alexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2015, 01:53 AM   #17
mhucasey
Acros & wieners, oh my!

I received my salt on Wednesday the 16th and began a series of 5 water changes, ultimately changing 120 gallons or so of the 195 gallon tank volume. Very impressed with the quality of the salt.
I reduced my pellet reactor output by about half each day and started dosing Np Pro and ProBio S at half dose. Today I took the reactor completely off line. The transition has been smooth and the tank parameters have remained good so far. I will add zeolites to the system Monday.

Unread 12/21/2015, 01:38 AM   #18
dcw1sfu
Registered Member

Following along I'm very interested in this as I'm currently using all in one biopellet's in conjunction with red sea and zeovit products. I may think about switching to all aquaforest based on your final results and thoughts.

dcw1sfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 12:56 AM   #19
bortolettof
Registered Member

Good morning, i am.interested on swapping my salt with this one but i understood that there can be issue if i use biopellet.
Currebtly i am using them so what exactlt shall i do? Stop them for a certain period and then resume, stop them and add the salt with the 2 other products u listed before? Can i have it clear in my mind?

bortolettof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 05:30 AM   #20
plyle02
Registered Member

It is difficult to understand how the probiotic salt will interact with biopellets, for this, I would use Reef Salt not the Probiotic Reef Salt. This way there is no interference with how you are managing nutrients through use of pellets, especially if you are satisfied with them. Reef Salt mixes with similar values of Probiotic Reef Salt, just does not contain the probiotics Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote