Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2014, 01:42 PM   #51
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Update!
Look what I found today!
This video tell us more about Fauna Marin Zoa Food.

He needs to stop the pumps!!!

I just have to add this one. Colors are just great!!!

Enjoy!
Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
A. Grandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 06:16 PM   #52
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

The Zoanthids did not eat that Stuff.

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 07:54 AM   #53
Mael
Registered Member

For the Red Sea additives, as mentioned I use their RE ABC+ which is just one tub of all ABC elements and some trace elements mixed in the same ratios as found in croal skeletons. It has done a fantastic job of bringing my CAL levels to where I want (420ish) while also keeping all the other elements and alk in line with the calcium level. If I had a bigger system I would go with the regular A and B system but the ABC+ was designed for system under 55gal so it work for me.

As for Reef Chilli, I have been using this for 3-4 months now. All my zoas and palys respond well to it, grab and closing around the small particles, I sometimes mix it in the same cup as mysis as the paly's also like to eat mysis. I have seen nothing but great color on all my frags and good growth on most of them, especially the reds and pinks. I also cloud my SPS with the reef chilli when spot feeding and it seems to also love the extra sustenance, as well as softies and acans. I was also using 2little fishes phytoplankton, but it is not phyto and zoo like reef chilli is (AFAIK) so I have only used it here and there a bit, the coral seems to like it as well but probably not as beneficial as the chilli.

And yes my skimmer goes crazy when I feed plankton as well as all the microfauna in the tank.

Mael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2014, 11:22 AM   #54
JJ650
Registered Member

While not really a zoa or soft coral food, my duncans and the larger paly's will readily eat New Life spectrum Thera+A fish food with gusto if it drifts into their tentacles. It's usually too large for the Zoanthids to take in. I have started to use Oyster feast (starting last week) and really can't tell if the zoas get anything from it or not. They close up, but I don't know if that is a feeding reaction or just a reaction to having a jet of water on them from the tube. I try to be as gentle as possible.

Unread 05/23/2014, 12:02 AM   #55
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
The Zoanthids did not eat that Stuff.
What zoanthids are you talking about?
What "stuff" did you feed?

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 05/23/2014, 12:05 AM   #56
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post
For the Red Sea additives, as mentioned I use their RE ABC+ which is just one tub of all ABC elements and some trace elements mixed in the same ratios as found in croal skeletons. It has done a fantastic job of bringing my CAL levels to where I want (420ish) while also keeping all the other elements and alk in line with the calcium level. If I had a bigger system I would go with the regular A and B system but the ABC+ was designed for system under 55gal so it work for me.

As for Reef Chilli, I have been using this for 3-4 months now. All my zoas and palys respond well to it, grab and closing around the small particles, I sometimes mix it in the same cup as mysis as the paly's also like to eat mysis. I have seen nothing but great color on all my frags and good growth on most of them, especially the reds and pinks. I also cloud my SPS with the reef chilli when spot feeding and it seems to also love the extra sustenance, as well as softies and acans. I was also using 2little fishes phytoplankton, but it is not phyto and zoo like reef chilli is (AFAIK) so I have only used it here and there a bit, the coral seems to like it as well but probably not as beneficial as the chilli.

And yes my skimmer goes crazy when I feed plankton as well as all the microfauna in the tank.

Thanks for the input!
Grandis.

Try HOT5s!
Unread 05/23/2014, 12:12 AM   #57
A. Grandis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ650 View Post
While not really a zoa or soft coral food, my duncans and the larger paly's will readily eat New Life spectrum Thera+A fish food with gusto if it drifts into their tentacles. It's usually too large for the Zoanthids to take in. I have started to use Oyster feast (starting last week) and really can't tell if the zoas get anything from it or not. They close up, but I don't know if that is a feeding reaction or just a reaction to having a jet of water on them from the tube. I try to be as gentle as possible.
The way to know for certain if they really grab and ingest the food particles is to turn off all the pumps and release the particles above them. When particles fall on them, touching the polyps, you'll see if they actually grab them to ingest.

I've tried Life spectrum Pellets before and my palythoas and Zoanthus gigantus (so called "PEs") eat them. Smaller zoanthids weren't interested as much, of course. I don't offer LP pellets anymore, but still feed my fishes. Good food!!

As for the Oyster Feast I noticed that it would benefit more algae then my polyps, therefore I no longer use OF.

Grandis.

Try HOT5s!