Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2016, 09:18 PM   #251
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

If it's not going to hurt, then I'll just move straight to treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2016, 08:39 PM   #252
Skeet59
Registered Member

I'll make it short-ish. Haddoni was shipped to me from LA and the water in the bag looked good, not cloudy, little bit of particulate, tiny bit of noticeable zooanthelea. Nem placed in 10 gallon qt for observation. Looked really good and full within 4 hours and after 96 hours w/o treatment was placed in DT. Thank you for all your invested time with anemones and sharing it. I've learned a ton!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.8 KB, 51 views)

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, 50g sump/refug,
Skeet59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 05:10 AM   #253
TheNewbie
Registered Member

Where can i get cipro?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 06:06 AM   #254
OrionN
Moved on

Can order online or at Pet store that may carry them. Recently FDA put our warning that Ciprofloxacin can cause inflammation of tendons and rupture of tendons (actually a know side effect of this medication for ever but FDA bring more attention to it) so Doctors and Dentists tend not to prescribe them as easy anymore.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2016, 07:24 AM   #255
TheNewbie
Registered Member

My anemomes have been acting weird for some time now and my toxic green is losing its neon color green and is shrinking and expanding at times and has a open mouth and closes sometimes and my bta has shrunk is there anything i can do?

Unread 08/25/2016, 03:58 PM   #256
OrionN
Moved on

Looks like you have problem with the tank condition. Those anemones don't seem to be infected. Need to get your tank up to par and the anemones will improve. I don't think antibiotic will help

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 09/03/2016, 08:17 PM   #257
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Anyone else have a sick mag spew up what looks like partially digested food? Do wholesalers etc. feed these anemones? I got it from the LFS the day it came in and I really hope they didn't feed it "just because", makes me wonder. I keep seeing white chunky/stringy stuff being expelled from my new mag in treatment and I'm hoping it's just food. This has been going on since maybe Tuesday, mag has been in HT since last Sunday.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 06:13 AM   #258
OrionN
Moved on

Undigested food regurgitated with in 24 hrs in healthy Anemones. I think your anemone is in serious trouble, it not food but other internal organelles. Doe he deflates? Pictures?

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:47 AM   #259
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Undigested food regurgitated with in 24 hrs in healthy Anemones. I think your anemone is in serious trouble, it not food but other internal organelles. Doe he deflates? Pictures?
I switched to cipro Thursday night and it hasn't deflated since, your answer is what I was afraid of. It's been responding to cipro well so hopefully it's salvageable. If/when it spews more I'll be sure to take a photo before removing whatever it is, it does have the chunky rat poop stuff with it as well.

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:48 AM   #260
TheNewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
I switched to cipro Thursday night and it hasn't deflated since, your answer is what I was afraid of. It's been responding to cipro well so hopefully it's salvageable. If/when it spews more I'll be sure to take a photo before removing whatever it is, it does have the chunky rat poop stuff with it as well.
Where did you get the cipro from?1

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:55 AM   #261
OrionN
Moved on

You can MO them online.

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:58 AM   #262
TheNewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
You can MO them online.
Know of any sites?

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:58 AM   #263
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
Where did you get the cipro from?1

Ebay, sold as fish flox.

Unread 09/04/2016, 10:42 AM   #264
OrionN
Moved on

All you have to do is look

Unread 09/04/2016, 09:52 PM   #265
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

This is partially what I was talking about, sometimes it's more white and chunky looking. I just pulled this out from the anemone with a turkey baster, you can see the classic rat poop in the slime.

This is a current photo of it, it's probably 50% of its size in this photo, granted it is nighttime but there's a bit more deflation than a healthy mag would show for sure (based on how large I've seen it during the day).

This anemone has never been flat like a pancake, never once had a gaping wipe open mouth, and its never lost its stickiness and has been on that plate since I acquired it. I'm beginning to wonder if my problems are due to water quality issues? I've been doing sometimes 150% water changes to keep up with water quality and it always seems to be full of crud the next time I look at it. The anemone is in a 20 long so I took it upon myself to fill the tank up instead of keeping it half full (10g), I also upped the flow with a RW-8 I had lying around, light is a chinese black box that I have at 75% on both channels.

Here's a photo of when it was first received, but do note that I've seen it larger than that photo. With the water increase in my HT I've upped the dosage of cipro to 500mg/night.

On a side note, most of today this mag was partially balled up with short tentacles even during light hours. Does this mean anything to anyone? Later in the day is when I noticed deflation, but earlier on it was puffed up real nice even being balled up.

Unread 09/05/2016, 07:19 AM   #266
OrionN
Moved on

The stuff in your picture is just mucus strands. All the anemones will put out stuff like that, don't worry. Your anemone looks good.

Unread 09/05/2016, 05:02 PM   #267
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Okay thanks Minh, mine has been doing it quite excessively, I find myself pulling stuff like this out hourly when I can and even then it's not enough to keep the tank clean. I had strands similar to this float in my DT and I think some of it got wrapped up in one of my acros and caused it to partially brown out, there was no flow so I guess that's what happened. Should this be a concern when I reintroduce it to my DT?

Also what is considered an unhealthy deflation for an anemone in treatment? For instance, that photo if it being 50% deflated (give or take), would that reset the clock for when I can pull it out of the HT or is that normal due to stress from the environment? If that doesn't reset anything, then I can potentially remove it Wednesday should nothing else happen. I'd like to get it out of the HT, but of course rushing it will only hurt me so I'm not sure what to do.

Unread 09/06/2016, 10:11 AM   #268
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

If it continues to respond to the cipro like it is now I feel that I can confidently put it in the DT on Friday. Since switching to cipro the coloration of the anemone has dulled considerably, not quite as pretty anymore, but given time I'm sure it'll get back to normal; I will take that over a dead anemone any day.

I have been doing two water changes a day, one in the morning (then redosing cipro), and one in the evening after the lights go out and dosing for the night as well. Perhaps unnecessary but it seems to be doing well and the last thing I want to do is be lazy and skip a water change and then have problems. It seems this fish flox forte that I purchased on ebay clouds the water up more than the previous cipro that I had, the glass panels cloud up as well from it.

Here is a photo of today, I'm finally optimistic about this anemone and its recovery.

Unread 09/13/2016, 11:08 AM   #269
Banff
Registered Member

So, I have a small magnifica, acquired yesterday and immediately treated with cipro, following the protocol. It has never had a gaping mouth, tents have been sticky, but it absolutely will not put its foot down. I have it sitting inside a small plastic storage crate inside the 10 gallon tank, in an attempt to keep the flow high enough without the free-floating nem somersaulting. It has a chunk of rock in there to attach to if it wants to. How big of a problem is it that it won't attach? It's much healthier than the only other one I have ever treated. It's not expelling gunk, it's not flattening out, it's keeping itself "anemone-shaped". Really, the only thing I don't like is the refusal to attach.

Banff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 11:32 AM   #270
mnchartier
Registered Member

Try something smooth like a bowl or coffee mug for it to attach to. Lower the flow until it does.

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2016, 11:54 AM   #271
Banff
Registered Member

It has a smooth glass bowl in there. I turned down the flow in the hopes that it decides to attach. It still looks good in every other way.

Unread 09/18/2016, 06:15 AM   #272
droth335
Registered Member

I am really glad I found this thread a few weeks ago as we acquired a Ritteri that looked good at first but quickly took a turn for the worse and was literally on death's doorstep. We had just enough time to treat for 7 days with Cipro before leaving for MACNA. Its turnaround is remarkable. Here is a pic of it about 10 days after treatment. Thanks for the help!

Current Tank Info: 210 sps dominant reef: 40g sump, kalk,4 reefbreeder photon 32's ; 300DD mixed reef with 180 gallon sump, 4 Reefbreeder Photon 32's.
droth335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2016, 07:54 AM   #273
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banff View Post
It has a smooth glass bowl in there. I turned down the flow in the hopes that it decides to attach. It still looks good in every other way.
How is he today? I hope doing well. Often they do not attach due to foot injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droth335 View Post
I am really glad I found this thread a few weeks ago as we acquired a Ritteri that looked good at first but quickly took a turn for the worse and was literally on death's doorstep. We had just enough time to treat for 7 days with Cipro before leaving for MACNA. Its turnaround is remarkable. Here is a pic of it about 10 days after treatment. Thanks for the help!

Looking good. Give him a little time and he will recover and color up.

Unread 09/18/2016, 12:33 PM   #274
Banff
Registered Member

Quote:
How is he today? I hope doing well. Often they do not attach due to foot injury.

Looking good. Give him a little time and he will recover and color up.
Mine is quite happy now.

I have a degree in zoology and a fair amount of knowledge of comparative anatomy and physiology, so I feel like I have a decent skill at recognizing any loss of tissue integrity or tears. I have inspected it pretty closely on a couple of occasions and I've not seen anything that looks like a breach of the epidermis.

It had a fairly rough few days on the way to me, it came in a shipment of 36 other assorted anemones from Bali to a new LFS near me. I went on the way home from work and found all 36 undergoing a rather abrupt acclimation. I helped them sort through them and get them situated in something other than a bucket, and in the process, selected the one colour morph that stood out to me. It was completely deflated but seemed intact and it was holding its mouth closed and maintaining its overall shape. It was very sticky and the column felt stiff and contracted, rather than flaccid. I brought it home and immediately set up a treatment tank as described in this thread. I prophylactically treated it with Cipro for 6 days, although I suspect that I didn't need to. I think that in the first 24 hours, I was too aggressive with flow, and once I followed the advice I received in this thread to lower the flow until it was robustly attached (or in other words, stop hovering over it and micromanaging) it attached quite nicely. I am going to put it in the display tank today. I have never seen it with its mouth open and I think it's going to be much happier in a tank that has really stable para,enters, high flow and intense lighting.

I have no idea what the LFS is going to do with the other 11 magnifica that they received (yikes).

Unread 09/29/2016, 06:49 AM   #275
johnfallon135
Registered Member

could i use a salt bucket as my quarentine?

johnfallon135 is offline   Reply With Quote