Reef Central Online Community
The Filter Guys

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 11/08/2014, 07:15 AM   #1
reefdude135
Registered Member

Converted to Fusion: Can I retire Port Forwarding & Dynamic DNS?

Hi reefers: Hope you can help me with a few easy questions on Apex setup....

I've been using my Apex for several years, enabled with outside access and e-mail & text alerts. It was a great learning experience as I dove into the word of port forwarding and dynamic DNS.... actually helped me intelligently converse with our network guys at the office on work-related matters.

After reading about Fusion a few months ago, I finally took the plunge. Upgraded my Apex from a vintage firmware version 4.05 without incident, and got everything running.

I've turned off the e-mail alerts, since Fusion now takes that task. My questions are about the port forwarding dynamic DNS services:

1. I assume that I still need to port forward on my router...true?

2. Unless I'm missing something that Fusion automates in the setup process, it appears that the dynamic DNS services are no longer needed....true?

Many thanks for the help!

reefdude135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2014, 08:37 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

You don't need port forwarding or Dynamic DNS for Fusion but I would leave it setup. That way you have the option of using Fusion, the Apex app as well as the Native Apex browser interface while outside your home network. Fusion status doesn't update in realtime and can lag behind a bit due to how the Apex updates through the cloud. There may occasions where you might want realtime status of a switch or something and the best way to get that is from the native interface. I'd also keep the Alarms and emails enabled through the Apex brian as it adds a layer of redundancy and eliminates any potential delays when something goes wrong. Not to mention that if the Fusion server ever goes down, you can still count on the Apex to notify you of a problem.

I find myself using both Fusion and the Apex interface for the reasons mentioned above as well as to compare info. I use my alarms/emails exclusively through the Apex brain and not through Fusion. I've used that method for years now and while I like Fusion, the Apex direct method has proven to be very reliable and prompt when something needs attention.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/08/2014, 08:50 AM   #3
reefdude135
Registered Member

Ah! That makes sense slief! I didn't realize the lag. Today I was setting up a ramp process for a variable LED light, and couldn't understand why the scripts weren't working.... it was that "lag" between the time while using Fusion. To further screw myself up, I had both interfaces running at once, so one was real time and the other was not. Good training experience.

Thanks again... much appreciated!

Old 11/08/2014, 09:51 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdude135 View Post
Ah! That makes sense slief! I didn't realize the lag. Today I was setting up a ramp process for a variable LED light, and couldn't understand why the scripts weren't working.... it was that "lag" between the time while using Fusion. To further screw myself up, I had both interfaces running at once, so one was real time and the other was not. Good training experience.

Thanks again... much appreciated!
Glad to help!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/06/2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Mickey
Registered Member

Resurrecting an old thread - Retire Dynamic DNS??

My dynamic DNS is coming up for renewal in July and I'm questioning whether I still need it. For months now I've used Fusion excluvisely. I used to use the old Android app but haven't been able to connect since upgrading to Apex 2016 last Fall. I'm sure it's in my network settings.

I also used to use the old Reeftronics site as well to alert me when there was a connection issue.

So, are there still good reasons to renewal my dynamic DNS with DYNDNS.org?

Mickey

Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2018, 11:34 AM   #6
figuerres
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
My dynamic DNS is coming up for renewal in July and I'm questioning whether I still need it. For months now I've used Fusion excluvisely. I used to use the old Android app but haven't been able to connect since upgrading to Apex 2016 last Fall. I'm sure it's in my network settings.

I also used to use the old Reeftronics site as well to alert me when there was a connection issue.

So, are there still good reasons to renewal my dynamic DNS with DYNDNS.org?

Mickey
my thought is like this:

in general, not limited to the reef gear, do you want to access your home network remotely for *ANY* reason ?

if yes then keep a DNS running so that if the internet provider changes network addresses you can find your network.

for example a home media server , a windows rdp forward, a file share
all can benefit from a "find by name" setup.
now days we do not see addresses changing as much but they can and as more systems move to IPV6 using a name will be way better....
with IPV6 an address will look something like this: 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334

not as simple as 75.123.45.27 to remember or type.

:-)

Current Tank Info: 150 reef tank underway, getting it stocked
figuerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2018, 05:17 AM   #7
reefdude135
Registered Member

I've had my Apex running for several years, but only moved to fusion in 2016. Are you saying that I dont even need the Port Forwarding to make Fusion work?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 05/13/2018, 08:00 AM   #8
figuerres
Registered Member

right, port forward is a way to allow remote access. fusion and a lot of other systems has a device like the apex controller make a connection to the server at a remote location, that connection allows it to work , your home router is a guard who blocks in coming strangers but allows you and your devices to reach out to the internet.

Old 05/13/2018, 08:14 AM   #9
reefdude135
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuerres View Post
right, port forward is a way to allow remote access. fusion and a lot of other systems has a device like the apex controller make a connection to the server at a remote location, that connection allows it to work , your home router is a guard who blocks in coming strangers but allows you and your devices to reach out to the internet.
interesting... so my Apex doesn't need port forwarding to reach out ApexFusion.com.... and when I make a config change through Fusion, it's done via edits at that remote location.

But... to push the change from ApexFusion.com down to my Apex controller... how would it make it through the firewall without port forwarding?

Old 05/13/2018, 09:32 AM   #10
figuerres
Registered Member

ok i can explain it a bit more but this gets a little bit technical....

the internet runs on a "protocol family" called TCP/IP

web browsers and almost all "web services" / cloud / rest pick the buzz word

use a part of this called HTTP that is built from a lower level called TCP

HTTP and HTTPS have a startup "handshake" that create a client server pipeline or "channel" that your router recognizes how that works and because the router always allows your apex to start the "conversation" then it assumes that the caller wants to hear what the fusion cloud service is saying. now the apex controller will re-connect if it loses that channel so the only time you can't use the cloud to update the local apex is if the connection is down right then.

think of this like a long running phone call, if apex does not hang up then fusion can keep talking.
nest home cameras, amazon and google home devices and a lot of other stuff do the exact same thing....

Old 05/13/2018, 09:43 AM   #11
reefdude135
Registered Member

wow. totally surprised! thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated!

I did the heavy lifting of Port Forwarding on my Apex.... and a Profilux before it. When I set up Apex Fusion a few years ago, just assumed it used that open port. Learn something every day!

Old 05/13/2018, 09:58 AM   #12
figuerres
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdude135 View Post
wow. totally surprised! thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated!

I did the heavy lifting of Port Forwarding on my Apex.... and a Profilux before it. When I set up Apex Fusion a few years ago, just assumed it used that open port. Learn something every day!

glad to help and explain ! :--) yeah using the cloud is making a lot of things better for connecting things. also look up the term "Internet Of Things" or IoT
also IPv6
as we move to IPv6 port forwarding will go the way of the dinosaurs.

with IP V6 there are a huge number of IP addresses so that we can have more devices talking with less messing with ports and private addresses Vs public addresses.

imagine if every device in your home could talk to a cloud and you could use that cloud to control them.

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us
https://nest.com/
https://shop.ring.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

and many others are out there.....

Hue lights are really cool, a pit costly to buy but LED lights will last for years