Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Sundown865
Registered Member

Need help asap!!! Brown jelly?!

Please help! I am very new to this, and just had my first fatality about a week ago, a nice duncan coral came down with brown jelly, and due to my inexperience I had no idea what it was until it was far too late!

I removed it as soon as I learned about it, but now I am really worried about my other duncan, my absolute favorite coral so far. The 2 heads on the far right, in between them the skeleton looks... brownish, kind of dirty looking. and the rightmost head is kind of receeding a bit. There are a ton of heads on this duncan, and I dont want to lose it!!!

Is this brown jelly?
How do I treat it/ can I save this coral???

I don't want to lose everything else in my tank, but if that is the only option I will for the greater good.

I've heard maybe dipping in freshwater might kill the BJ??
(I have no idea how to frag, but I've heard I might be able to remove the affected heads?) I can't get any better pictures than this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-02-17_14-29-35_230.jpg (53.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-02-17_14-41-54_552.jpg (51.0 KB, 33 views)
Sundown865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 02:46 PM   #2
FraggledRock
Registered Member

ouch. sorry to hear for your losses.

it looks far gone. I dunno if a dip will fix anything.

how old is the tank?

judging by the looks of it, you aren't done with your cycle yet. bone white dead rock & Diatoms...

what are water parameters?

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder w/ Bean Animal Overflow 20G Sump, Mixed Reef.
FraggledRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Sundown865
Registered Member

So it is brown jelly then for sure?

Can I cut off the affected area and save the rest??

Water params are all zero or very close, ph ~8.3, kh ~9, 78-79 degrees, 1.025
Im checking all again right now.

LFS said I was out of the cycle, the tank is about 1.5 months old, a couple fish and corals all doing fine except this one! The diatoms really started going away about a week ago, just stragglers left mainly; and we bought live rock originally from the LFS.

Please help, thank you for your fast response! Is there anything to try to do to save this coral??? I'm thinking about trying to cut off the affected area (maybe a freshwater dip first) but I don't want to make it worse!

Unread 02/17/2015, 03:35 PM   #4
Sundown865
Registered Member

Well... For better or worse....

I removed the two rightmost heads with a dremel as far down as I was able.... I put the remaining duncan back in the bottom corner of my refugium, if it does break out again, at least it's not easily spread to the other corals I figure.

Still any more input would be appreciated!! I guess I am paranoid since my last loss, I don't want to lose any more! So hopefully he survives... : /

Unread 02/17/2015, 03:46 PM   #5
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

I don't know what brown jelly is but I had brown stuff that looked like stringy jelly and it was diatoms. They went away on there own. Nothing is going to nuke a coral in the blink of an eye, step away from the Dremel tool...

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 04:10 PM   #6
coralsnaked
Registered Member

Brown jelly disease is one of the most prevalent coral diseases in aquariums today. It affects only LPS coral like your Duncan and is a swift killer. Best scenario is to remove the coral from the tank as it spreads rapidly and is quite capable of wiping out a whole tank including other than LPS from the "crash affect" caused by decaying tissue in the aquarium. Once removed from the aquarium to a QT tank then surgically remove the bad tissue and treat the remaining tissue with lugols dip and metronidazole powder It has shown some benefits in limited cases.

Current Tank Info: 1 G Nano jellyfish to 1200 G Bull Nose FOWLR featuring large Holacanthus and Pomacanthus
coralsnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Sundown865
Registered Member

Ha, Well the first duncan was about half covered in 36 hours, totally covered by 48-60.

I've watched the brown stuff for about a day now, and it has pretty much caused the one head to recede entirely. I have the "frag" if you can call it that, with the brown stuff on it in a container just to see what happens.

I am monitoring the main part of the duncan, I'll post any updates as they come, and whether he survives or not! Fingers crossed everyone!

Brown Jelly is no joke!
And yeah, I'm really wishing I had a QT about now... Next thing on the list for sure!!! Do you think it will spread quickly if I watch for signs on it in the refugium?

Tags
brown jelly, coral, disease, treatment