Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2014, 04:41 PM   #1
SoloChromis
Registered Member

Dottyback Possibly Has Ich!

A little over a month ago I made a horrible decision in skipping the quarantine process for a schooling bannerfish, and acclimating him straight to the display tank. A couple days go by before he starts getting spots, then about a week later the poor guys dead. After that my spotbreast angel started showing spots, and quickly keeled over, then my elderly chalk bass passed away (I don't believe it was this disease that killed him, he had been going downhill for a while), then my old royal gramma got spots, but continued eating very well, and soon there were very few spots on him, but he started acting strange, and doing things such as hiding away and lying in the corner of the tank for minutes at a time every couple hours. Last night "Bernie" the royal gramma passed away as well. I was just watching my other fish, checking for signs of disease, and my springeri dottyback kinda charges at the glass, then quickly dashes to the side, striking the side of his body against the glass, and then appears to nip at the water column, leading me to believe that this may just be his method of getting pods knocked off the glass for him to eat, and for all I know he has always done this. Im paranoid however, and think he may be attempting to scratch himself like some fish do when they have ich. His skin is clear, he's eating well, but I wanted to know if any of you have had your dottybacks do this sort of thing. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 60g Caribbean-esque Reef (2'x2'x2'), 10g Quarantine
SoloChromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Deinonych
Registered Member

Your tank has ich, and likely so does the dottyback, even if he doesn't have white spots.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 04:59 PM   #3
snorvich
Team RC member

The mortality time line sounds like velvet. But ich, or velvet, your tank has it.

Unread 12/02/2014, 05:51 PM   #4
Marshall O
Registered Member

Do you have a hospital tank? If so, get it up and running ASAP. Ideally, you would seed it with a sponge or similar that you had in the sump of your DT.

Marshall O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, dottyback, ich