Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2018, 10:13 PM   #1
BigAirHarper
Registered Member

Power head options on 186G cylinder?

So I’ve always been a vortech person. But on my new cylinder tank it’s not an option. What would everyone recommend as good options? It came with a gyre 130, the smaller one, and it is loud running on full blast. Could be open to installing them around overflow as well for a possible mounting option instead of back glass that’s against wall.

BigAirHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 05:46 AM   #2
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Do you have an overflow in the middle of the tank? If so and it’s square or rectangular in shape perhaps use magnet type of powerhead with the magnet on the inside of the overflow.

Unread 09/20/2018, 10:21 AM   #3
BigAirHarper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
Do you have an overflow in the middle of the tank? If so and it’s square or rectangular in shape perhaps use magnet type of powerhead with the magnet on the inside of the overflow.
I have a circular overflow, however a magnet style powerhead probably wont work since there are 2 layers of acrylic making up overflow and a custom rockwork surrounds it. May a large Gyre on low flow on back glass? If there was some sort of clamp mount for a powerhead I could use on the overflow.

BigAirHarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 10:29 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Take a look at the video in the link below. It shows how I setup 4 of the newer Tunze 6155's on a customers custom cylinder tank using bulks heads and PVC pipe to mount the Tunze's with the cables routed through the overflow and up out the top. In our case, the rock work as assembled around them so they could be accessed but were somewhat hidden. This works well if your overflow has a durso or other stand pipe to prevent water from draining since the stand pipe will be well above the point where the Tunze's are mounted. Meaning any water that may get through the pipe where the Tunzes are mounted wouldn't matter since the lowest the tank can drain is the top of the standpipe in the overflow.

The only disadvantage to using this mounting method is that you need to be able to pull some of the Tunze cable through the overflow in order to clean the pumps on top of or near the tank. I use this same method on my tank as well and while my tank is not a cylinder tank, it allowed me to avoid having the wires visible inside the tank.

This is part 3 of a 8 part series on the setup of this tank. This part covers the Tunze mounting. You can find the rest of the parts from the navigation menu on the right side of the screen when you are viewing this video or search LA Fish Guys Episode 157
https://youtu.be/NQHSfickeMU

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 09/20/2018 at 10:34 AM.
slief is offline   Reply With Quote