Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/20/2012, 12:40 PM   #2526
csauer52
Registered Member

FWIW, reefgeek is running a T5 sale on Friday. 15% off all ATI T5's.

Current Tank Info: 150 RR Oceanic
csauer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 04:04 PM   #2527
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd Fish View Post
Ok ive read alot here. Great info. I have a 60"x18"x24". with a current nova pro 8x54watt fixture. It has one large reflector. Im going sps and a clam or two. I would like growth and color. I know its a trade. Im looking for recomendations so i can order bulbs tomorrow. I was thinking;

Ati blue plus
ati blue plus
ati purple plus
ati blue plus
ge 6500
ati blue plus
ati purple plus
ati blue plus

any thoughts or recomendations? thnx. Im also considering chinese led with full spectrum in the near future.
Combo looks good but I'd be very cautious with a clam and that fixture. Stay low light for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 05:12 PM   #2528
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

I was thinking the same about the fixture. Im probably going to order some leds soon. And no clam until i do. thnx. What do you think about the 8x54watt tek light? iTS $290 on Reef Geek.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal, sps, clams, and softies

Last edited by Skynyrd Fish; 12/20/2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: sjdgfgkrrt
Skynyrd Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 06:53 PM   #2529
MarkL
Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I am seriously considering the Ati sunpower dimmable 6x24w unit on a 24x20x24 tank primarily sps anemone and possibly a clam and been reading this thread for quite a long time.

It seems the popular option for bulb selection is

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

In all honesty I havent seen many T5 lit tanks but years ago I had MH/VHO combo on a 90 AGA. I loved the look of the VHO but that was just my duskdawn look. The MHs greatly overpowered the blues almost to the point of barely seeing the vho.

What would be the next choice for the 6500 bulb if my supplier doesnt stock that particular bulb? I do like the look of a bluer tank but want to keep my dusk dawn the most blue while keeping the daytime perhaps a more lighter, but definitely noticably blue hue.

Thanks!!
Mark

MarkL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2012, 07:40 PM   #2530
Snootch
Registered Member

I'm running ATI Dimmable SunPower 6x24W on a similar sized tank (26Wx24Dx20H) with the following bulb combo:

1. ATI Blue +
2. KZ NG 14K
3. KZ Fiji Purple
4. ATI Blue +
5. KZ NG 14K
6. ATI Blue +

I'm using 3 ATI B+ and 1 KZ FP as the dawn/dusk bulbs for 12 hours a day with 2 hour ramp up and ramp down and 2 KZ NGs as the daylight bulbs for 6 hours.
I bought 10 different bulbs to play with and this combo looks the best to me.

Unread 12/21/2012, 01:57 AM   #2531
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I was thinking the same about the fixture. Im probably going to order some leds soon. And no clam until i do. thnx. What do you think about the 8x54watt tek light? iTS $290 on Reef Geek.
Much better fixture. I went the LED route for about 18 months but switched back to an ATI Sunpower and glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Hello everyone,

I am seriously considering the Ati sunpower dimmable 6x24w unit on a 24x20x24 tank primarily sps anemone and possibly a clam and been reading this thread for quite a long time.

It seems the popular option for bulb selection is

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Purple Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

In all honesty I havent seen many T5 lit tanks but years ago I had MH/VHO combo on a 90 AGA. I loved the look of the VHO but that was just my duskdawn look. The MHs greatly overpowered the blues almost to the point of barely seeing the vho.

What would be the next choice for the 6500 bulb if my supplier doesnt stock that particular bulb? I do like the look of a bluer tank but want to keep my dusk dawn the most blue while keeping the daytime perhaps a more lighter, but definitely noticably blue hue.

Thanks!!
Mark
The Geisemann midday is very similar. My current 6 bulb combo is

ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue
Gmann pure actinic (may switch back to a blue plus)
ATI purple plus
ATI coral plus
ATI blue plus

It is about 13-14k to my eyes with everything on. Little more white than what I used to run but I'm liking it. I wanted the coral plus and aquablue for growth reasons.

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 12/21/2012, 02:32 AM   #2532
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

When did you switch back Ryan?

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2012, 09:04 AM   #2533
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
When did you switch back Ryan?
About a week ago. I got the new light for my new tank but it won't be ready for another month or so. I put the new fixture on my current tank just to see and have left it on. Loving it!

Unread 12/21/2012, 07:35 PM   #2534
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

ryan.. thanx. I spent alot of time at Alta. you anywhere near SLC? i may just save for the ATI Fixture. The 3 most important things in reefing. SKIMMER, RO/DI, and Good Lights. I only have $120 into my current extreme pro so no big loss when i dump it. I have more than that in bulbs lol. I still have a 2x 175 MH with 2x140 watt vho that i just took down. im really liking the leds, but think they need to evolve just a bit more.

Reef Geek ATI Bulbs 15% off today!

Current Tank Info: 125 gal, sps, clams, and softies
Skynyrd Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2012, 09:06 PM   #2535
disney95
Premium Member

rtparty why did you go back t o t5s i am torn between the razor led and the sunpower

disney95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 12:52 AM   #2536
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
ryan.. thanx. I spent alot of time at Alta. you anywhere near SLC? i may just save for the ATI Fixture. The 3 most important things in reefing. SKIMMER, RO/DI, and Good Lights. I only have $120 into my current extreme pro so no big loss when i dump it. I have more than that in bulbs lol. I still have a 2x 175 MH with 2x140 watt vho that i just took down. im really liking the leds, but think they need to evolve just a bit more.

Reef Geek ATI Bulbs 15% off today!
I'm about 25 minutes south of SLC actually. I think ATI fixtures are second to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney95 View Post
rtparty why did you go back t o t5s i am torn between the razor led and the sunpower
I got tired of always guessing with my LEDs. Some corals thrived while others died with no rhyme or reason. Some SPS just hate them no matter what you do. I think for LEDs to really move forward it will be with the multi-chip setups. Those have the most promise in my opinion.

My best tank ever was my 40 breeder with a 4x24w ATI Sunpower over it. I'm now rebuilding a 40 breeder with a 6x24w Sunpower. I'm excited about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Unread 12/22/2012, 05:26 AM   #2537
disney95
Premium Member

ok thanks for the input

disney95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 06:44 AM   #2538
jgraz
Registered Member

Hey guys, I have a question regarding changing bulbs. After much procrastination I finally have my bulbs ready for replacement. My fixture is a Tek light 8x54w I've a mixed though predominantly SPS reef, and my bulbs are about 12 months old.

My question is, how fast should I make the switch?
Thanks in advance

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 07:46 AM   #2539
tegee
Premium Member

Ryan and anyone else that can help guide me.......

I have a successful 180gl sps tank that is lite by (3) 250w Radiums and (4) VHO's. I am getting unbelievable growth, but the color is just not there for my liken.

To that end, I got lucky enough and found a 60" ATI PM 10 x 84w.....super excited I found it. I am obviously trying to mimic my Radium/MH growth while getting that T5 color.

Can anyone offer bulb choice and order front to back? How high off the water (my current MH setup is 9")? And what type of photoperiod (mine is currently at 8 hours)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate. I really want a seamless transition since I worked for over two years to get my tank just where I want it regarding growth and stable parameters.......now just need to tweak the lighting.

Thank you very much in advance...........

Unread 12/22/2012, 09:06 AM   #2540
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
Hey guys, I have a question regarding changing bulbs. After much procrastination I finally have my bulbs ready for replacement. My fixture is a Tek light 8x54w I've a mixed though predominantly SPS reef, and my bulbs are about 12 months old.

Thanks in advance
I switch out all the bulbs at once and raise my fixture and run less hours then gradually lower the fixture and add an hour every few days.
There int a set in stone way of acclimating, just go slow and watch your corals - they will let you know if its too much too fast.

Cut your hours in half and add an hour every few days is a safe start I would think.

Unread 12/22/2012, 09:09 AM   #2541
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post

I have a successful 180gl sps tank that is lite by (3) 250w Radiums and (4) VHO's. I am getting unbelievable growth, but the color is just not there for my liken.

To that end, I got lucky enough and found a 60" ATI PM 10 x 84w.....super excited I found it. I am obviously trying to mimic my Radium/MH growth while getting that T5 color.

Can anyone offer bulb choice and order front to back? How high off the water (my current MH setup is 9")? And what type of photoperiod (mine is currently at 8 hours)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciate. I really want a seamless transition since I worked for over two years to get my tank just where I want it regarding growth and stable parameters.......now just need to tweak the lighting.

Hmmm ....
6 blue plus
2 coral plus
2 purple plus

Not exact but a good start. You may want another blue and one less coral or purple, its subjective.
See what others say.
I'm sure you will love your new ATI PM!

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 12/22/2012 at 09:24 AM.
Unread 12/22/2012, 11:41 AM   #2542
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:

Thanks in advance
I like changing 2 bulbs out every 3-4 days. Then I raise the fixture if needed.

Quote:

Changing out lights can always be an adventure. T5 lights blanket your corals a lot more than MH does so just watch everything really close. I would probably test your parameters every few days just as a precaution. Switching lights can sometimes spike or stunt growth and your parameters can fluctuate.

What are your dimensions?

I would look into something like 7 blue plus, 2 purple plus and 1 ge6500k. Definitely grab an extra blue plus and a coral plus to play with. Whatever you don't use now you can throw in later.

I would start at 10" above the tank. Dusk/dawn for 10 hours with full lighting around 6 hours to start. Again just watch everything.

Unread 12/22/2012, 12:41 PM   #2543
Froggy
Reef "Hobbyist"...right!?

Quote:

Thanks in advance
I just did the exact switch as you with the same fixture ( 8 bulb TEK).

I changed 3 bulbs initially, 2 more bulbs 2 days later, and then one bulb a day for the next 3 days. I saw no negative response from any corals in the tank.

- Joe

......Hi Joe..........

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef with TBS live rock, 8 X 54 watt TEK T5's, Euroreef RS250 skimmer
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 12:50 PM   #2544
Froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Much better fixture. I went the LED route for about 18 months but switched back to an ATI Sunpower and glad I did.

The Geisemann midday is very similar. My current 6 bulb combo is

ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue
Gmann pure actinic (may switch back to a blue plus)
ATI purple plus
ATI coral plus
ATI blue plus

It is about 13-14k to my eyes with everything on. Little more white than what I used to run but I'm liking it. I wanted the coral plus and aquablue for growth reasons.
Ryan,

Surprised to see the Aquablue special in your mix. I was under impression you were not a fan of how they represent the corals. Are you just using it for a growth spurt? Seems like you could switch your pure actinic to the blue plus you were thinking about for the PAR punch and then use either a GE 6500 ( good growth bulb, unless you are not a fan of the look ) or another coral plus for the additional daylight bulb. What is your reasons for using the Aquablue? Just curious

Thanks,
Joe

......Hi Joe..........

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef with TBS live rock, 8 X 54 watt TEK T5's, Euroreef RS250 skimmer
Unread 12/22/2012, 01:00 PM   #2545
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Ryan,

Surprised to see the Aquablue special in your mix. I was under impression you were not a fan of how they represent the corals. Are you just using it for a growth spurt? Seems like you could switch your pure actinic to the blue plus you were thinking about for the PAR punch and then use either a GE 6500 ( good growth bulb, unless you are not a fan of the look ) or another coral plus for the additional daylight bulb. What is your reasons for using the Aquablue? Just curious

Thanks,
Joe
It is strictly for growth right now. I'd use a GE if I had one but the aquablue came with this fixture and is practically brand new. The colors suffer when the aquablue comes on but I only have it come on with the coral plus for a few hours when I'm not home.

I'm using the 4 bulb channel for my ''dusk/dawn''. 2 blue, 1 purple and 1 actinic.

Unread 12/22/2012, 01:07 PM   #2546
Overgrown
Registered Member

Quote:

Are you referring to coral color or aesthetics of the tank lighting? I run T5' but IMO my old Radium offered up the best coloring in the corals themselves. Seems like you have plenty of light, why not just add in some LEDs to accent the aesthetics in the display?

Overgrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 01:09 PM   #2547
Froggy

Quote:
It is strictly for growth right now. I'd use a GE if I had one but the aquablue came with this fixture and is practically brand new. The colors suffer when the aquablue comes on but I only have it come on with the coral plus for a few hours when I'm not home.

I'm using the 4 bulb channel for my ''dusk/dawn''. 2 blue, 1 purple and 1 actinic.
Good deal,

I bet your tank really jumps out at you with that 4 bulb combo running. I like how you run your 6 bulb ATI ( thinking outside of the box ). Some people are locked onto the idea that you HAVE to run your dusk/dawn on the 2 bulb bank. Not sure why or if it just assumed that is how it should be. You can get some nice color mix with the 4 bulbs for viewing.

This is one of the things I really like about the 8 bulb TEK fixture I have. The bulb banks are 4 and 4. I run 3 blue plus and 1 purple plus for dusk/dawn. I then have 2 more blue plus, a coral plus and a GE 6500 come on for the full lighting. I am really liking this combination of bulbs.

- Joe

......Hi Joe..........

Unread 12/22/2012, 02:00 PM   #2548
jgraz
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I was figuring I'd have to move slower like over a few weeks. I guess I'll make the switch in under 2 weeks then. Thanks again

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2012, 04:53 PM   #2549
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
I like changing 2 bulbs out every 3-4 days. Then I raise the fixture if needed.

Changing out lights can always be an adventure. T5 lights blanket your corals a lot more than MH does so just watch everything really close. I would probably test your parameters every few days just as a precaution. Switching lights can sometimes spike or stunt growth and your parameters can fluctuate.

What are your dimensions?

I would look into something like 7 blue plus, 2 purple plus and 1 ge6500k. Definitely grab an extra blue plus and a coral plus to play with. Whatever you don't use now you can throw in later.

I would start at 10" above the tank. Dusk/dawn for 10 hours with full lighting around 6 hours to start. Again just watch everything.

Thanks everyone.......

I ordered enough to play around with bulbs. Have (8) Blue+ (2) Purple+ (2) Coral+ and (2) GE 6500k.

I was thinking of starting with (6) Blue+, (2) Purple+, (1) Coral+ and (1) GE 6500k.

And yes I agree, I am going to start veeeery slow. Maybe at 4-hrs for a week, then 5-hrs for a week, etc, etc. And definitely going to closely monitor parameters too.

Tank dimensions are: 60 x 24 x 29. I know a (10) bulb ATI PM is a tad too big for my dimensions, probably could have got away with an 8-bulb and perhaps a 48" fixture too. BUT I found a gold mine deal on a factory second ATI PM 10 x 84w and simply could not pass up the deal......especially since you can not get PM anymore.

So long story short.....need advice for this lighting transformation so I do not screw up a very successful sps tank that took me 2.5 years to get it to this level.

Any input would be GREATY appreciated.......happy holidays!

Unread 12/22/2012, 09:39 PM   #2550
Michigan Mike

Quote:
That's what I'm using in my 4x24w Sunpower...2 ATI blue plus & 1 ATI Actinic & 1 Fiji purple