Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2013, 12:51 AM   #2626
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
If you liked that comb before stick with it.
Is that a good bulb order tho? I believe bulbs 2 and 5 were on one plug and I always liked 2 blue + on those for the "sunrise/sunset" look.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 01:51 AM   #2627
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Is that a good bulb order tho? I believe bulbs 2 and 5 were on one plug and I always liked 2 blue + on those for the "sunrise/sunset" look.
Yeah that's fine.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 04:58 AM   #2628
cacmo
Registered Member

Hi, I have the Giesmann matrix pendant 8 x 54w T5 all tubes need replacing what would be your recommendation, and what height should unit be from water?

The units lamps are on a 3 independent timers as below, with 1 being dusk to dawn. Tank is 60” x 21” x 21” with a mixture of corals, fish mandarin, dwarf angel, clowns and leopard wrasse.

Current tubes
Front
1 Giesmann Actinic Plus
1 Giesmann Actinic Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
2 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
2 Giesmann Aquablue Plus

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by cacmo; 01/10/2013 at 05:43 AM.
cacmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 06:09 AM   #2629
Michigan Mike
Freedom costs a buckofive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
A better combo is reverse the dawn/dusk combo to 4 bulbs, 3 blue & 1 purple, much better this way IMO.
Unless you like a whiter look I would swap that aquablue special for a coral plus instead. The coral plus isn't as harsh and doesn't wash out your blue as much as like the AB special.

Michigan Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 06:23 AM   #2630
Michigan Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacmo View Post
Hi, I have the Giesmann matrix pendant 8 x 54w T5 all tubes need replacing what would be your recommendation, and what height should unit be from water?

The units lamps are on a 3 independent timers as below, with 1 being dusk to dawn. Tank is 60” x 21” x 21” with a mixture of corals, fish mandarin, dwarf angel, clowns and leopard wrasse.

Current tubes
Front
1 Giesmann Actinic Plus
1 Giesmann Actinic Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
3 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
2 Giesmann Aquablue Plus
2 Giesmann Aquablue Plus

Thanks in Advance.
Okay that was a pretty white looking tank , do you mind switching to ATI bulbs or are you a GIESSEMAN user?

I would use channels 1 & 2 for dawn/dusk myself. Something like this for a more blue & easier to look at tank IMO, I would try this- for a 7 bulb combo but you said 8 bulbs so I'm going to assume the bulbs in the center should be 4 bulbs.
F ATI/GMAN
1 blue plus/ actinic plus
1purple plus/aqua pink or a true actinic
3 blue plus/ actinic plus
3 coral plus/ aquablue plus
2 blue plus/ actinic plus
B

Bulbs should be a minimum of 7"-12" from surface @ first, slowly lower fixture & increase hours. Watch out or bleaching corals. Better safe and slow!

Last edited by Michigan Mike; 01/10/2013 at 06:32 AM.
Unread 01/10/2013, 07:45 AM   #2631
cacmo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Mike View Post
Okay that was a pretty white looking tank , do you mind switching to ATI bulbs or are you a GIESSEMAN user?

I would use channels 1 & 2 for dawn/dusk myself. Something like this for a more blue & easier to look at tank IMO, I would try this- for a 7 bulb combo but you said 8 bulbs so I'm going to assume the bulbs in the center should be 4 bulbs.
F ATI/GMAN
1 blue plus/ actinic plus
1purple plus/aqua pink or a true actinic
B

Bulbs should be a minimum of 7"-12" from surface @ first, slowly lower fixture & increase hours. Watch out or bleaching corals. Better safe and slow!
Thanks Mike, Missed out one of the middle bulbs. Yes I think I will go with the ATI bulbs. When you say 1 & 2 for dusk dawn do you mean on together? At the moment I have 1 on first, then after 1hr 2 on, then another hr all bulbs on for 6hrs, then in reverse for off. Does this seem about right? Apologies for my ignorance as I am new to marines.

cacmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 12:59 PM   #2632
rezaktp
Registered Member

Rebuilding my 100G FOWLR Lighting?

After being up & running for about 15 years I am rebuilding my 100G FOWLR. I am removing the VHO lighting and will go to T5's. I have 2 Icecap ballasts that I will use. I plan on having more of the weed type of corals like Zenia, GSP, Shrooms, etc that I do not care if it gets eaten or not.

So what flavor of ATI bulbs should I go with, and how many should I have?

All opinions are welcome!

Current Tank Info: 180g. Reef w/8-80w t-5's, 70g. Rubbermaid basement sump w/10g. fuge, APEX, Reef Octopus SRO 2000 Skimmer, 1/3hp Aqualogic chiller, 57w Aqua Ultraviolet UV, BRS 2-part w/2-Drews Dosers, 4-MP40wES
rezaktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 03:38 PM   #2633
d-maz
Registered Member

Ok guys, I need your opinion. I found a used Tek Elite fixture that the guy says is a few years old. From the pictures sent to me the light has 3 vents on top that looks like fan grills. All the Elite fixtures I see online only have one grill right in the middle. Is this fixture an older version? If so, how old do you guys think it is?

Current Tank Info: 90g,w/ 30g sump,SRO1000,2-6105s, Radion Gen2s
d-maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 06:49 PM   #2634
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezaktp View Post
After being up & running for about 15 years I am rebuilding my 100G FOWLR. I am removing the VHO lighting and will go to T5's. I have 2 Icecap ballasts that I will use. I plan on having more of the weed type of corals like Zenia, GSP, Shrooms, etc that I do not care if it gets eaten or not.

So what flavor of ATI bulbs should I go with, and how many should I have?

All opinions are welcome!
Unless you are using 80w bulbs, I would ditch the IceCap ballasts and use regular T5 ballasts that won't overdrive the bulbs.

What are your exact dimensions?

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 01/10/2013, 06:52 PM   #2635
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-maz View Post
Ok guys, I need your opinion. I found a used Tek Elite fixture that the guy says is a few years old. From the pictures sent to me the light has 3 vents on top that looks like fan grills. All the Elite fixtures I see online only have one grill right in the middle. Is this fixture an older version? If so, how old do you guys think it is?
If it is graphite, not black and has fans then it should be en elite. I believe the Elites were released around 2010 but maybe 09.

Unread 01/10/2013, 07:58 PM   #2636
d-maz
Registered Member

Thanks Ryan. Now I need bulb advice. Right now I have phoenix 14k MHs and actinic PCs. I like the way my tank looks so I would try and keep it around the same. I'd like to see a little more pop in my colors. Since this is my first T5 setup, can you suggest what bulbs and what rotation from front to back. Thanks

Current Tank Info: 90g,w/ 30g sump,SRO1000,2-6105s, Radion Gen2s
d-maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 08:37 PM   #2637
rezaktp
Registered Member

I plan on using the 54w bulbs....what is the issue with the ice caps, that was all the rave a year ago?

Current Tank Info: 180g. Reef w/8-80w t-5's, 70g. Rubbermaid basement sump w/10g. fuge, APEX, Reef Octopus SRO 2000 Skimmer, 1/3hp Aqualogic chiller, 57w Aqua Ultraviolet UV, BRS 2-part w/2-Drews Dosers, 4-MP40wES
rezaktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 09:43 PM   #2638
footballcs12
Registered Member

Looking for a 6 bulb combination for my Tek Elite that will have good coral color pop and thats got some blue but not too much blue.

footballcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 09:51 PM   #2639
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-maz View Post
Thanks Ryan. Now I need bulb advice. Right now I have phoenix 14k MHs and actinic PCs. I like the way my tank looks so I would try and keep it around the same. I'd like to see a little more pop in my colors. Since this is my first T5 setup, can you suggest what bulbs and what rotation from front to back. Thanks
4 ATI blue plus, 2 coral plus and 1 purple plus

Blue
Purple
Blue
Coral
Blue
Blue

Try that and go from there. I added an extra bulb so you can find what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezaktp View Post
I plan on using the 54w bulbs....what is the issue with the ice caps, that was all the rave a year ago?
I've never recommended ice cap unless you had 80w bulbs. They wear the bulbs out way too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballcs12 View Post
Looking for a 6 bulb combination for my Tek Elite that will have good coral color pop and thats got some blue but not too much blue.
Go with what I wrote above. Maybe get one coral plus and one aquablue though. Then you can really adjust to your liking.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Unread 01/10/2013, 10:26 PM   #2640
footballcs12
Registered Member

Quote:
4 ATI blue plus, 2 coral plus and 1 purple plus

Go with what I wrote above. Maybe get one coral plus and one aquablue though. Then you can really adjust to your liking.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
That still seems like a little too much blue for my taste. Would swapping one out with a white of some sort still look good and be beneficial?

footballcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2013, 11:33 PM   #2641
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballcs12 View Post
That still seems like a little too much blue for my taste. Would swapping one out with a white of some sort still look good and be beneficial?
The purple is very overpowering and the coral plus bulbs add plenty of white. An aquablue added will make it around 12k

Unread 01/11/2013, 05:55 PM   #2642
88rxna
Registered Member

i would like to see if i can get a little better "pop" in color of my corals.
here is my current setup:

1. blue plus (day)
2. blue plus (acintic)
3. aqua blue special (day)
4.blue plus (acintic)
5.purple plus (day)
6. blue plusm (day)
all ATI bulbs

its alot of blue and wondered if a little more purple would do the trick?

reefkeeper lite
a pair of ocean revive S026 led fixtures

Last edited by 88rxna; 01/11/2013 at 06:49 PM.
88rxna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2013, 10:28 PM   #2643
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

Should I get ride of my Current 8 bulb single reflector fixture for a ATI 6 bulb? My tank is a 125 g 60"x18"x24". Im Growing sps nicely and will be adding more. I found a great deal on a used fixture 3 miles from my house. Thanks as always Dan.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal, sps, clams, and softies
Skynyrd Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2013, 10:53 PM   #2644
dankreef
Registered Member

Hello was thinking about going from MH to t5. Was looking at the 60' 8x80w fixture. Looking for a combo for growth / pop. Love the slightly purple look does it put out as much growth? Please advise 180g SPS tank.

Unread 01/13/2013, 02:25 AM   #2645
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88rxna View Post
i would like to see if i can get a little better "pop" in color of my corals.
here is my current setup:

1. blue plus (day)
2. blue plus (acintic)
3. aqua blue special (day)
4.blue plus (acintic)
5.purple plus (day)
6. blue plusm (day)
all ATI bulbs

its alot of blue and wondered if a little more purple would do the trick?
Try a purple plus in place of the aquablue or add an actinic for less pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynyrd Fish View Post
Should I get ride of my Current 8 bulb single reflector fixture for a ATI 6 bulb? My tank is a 125 g 60"x18"x24". Im Growing sps nicely and will be adding more. I found a great deal on a used fixture 3 miles from my house. Thanks as always Dan.
Yes, without a doubt. Don't fry your critters on the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankreef View Post
Hello was thinking about going from MH to t5. Was looking at the 60' 8x80w fixture. Looking for a combo for growth / pop. Love the slightly purple look does it put out as much growth? Please advise 180g SPS tank.
If you want slight purple I would try 5 blue plus and 3 purple plus. Grab a coral plus to play with as well.

Unread 01/13/2013, 11:17 PM   #2646
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

Ok I got the ATI 6 bulb fixture. He ran it with the shield off in a canopy. The reflectors are pitted and have salt spray. I wiped them down with a damp cloth. What can I polish them with? They're not wasted but every bit of polished helps.

Unread 01/13/2013, 11:23 PM   #2647
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok I got the ATI 6 bulb fixture. He ran it with the shield off in a canopy. The reflectors are pitted and have salt spray. I wiped them down with a damp cloth. What can I polish them with? They're not wasted but every bit of polished helps.
Alumnium reflectors can be polished to an extrem mirror finish. However they are made of an extremly soft metal and therefore it requires a lot of special super fine abrasives to get then polished to that extent. Basicly a lambs wool buffer will work with some super fine grit polishing rouge. Even atandard automotive polishing compounds are much to abrasive for alumnium.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2013, 11:34 PM   #2648
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
In all honesty, it isn't worth the effort. I've seen it done before and the PAR increase was minimal.

If you are truly worried, just buy new reflectors from Reefgeek.

Unread 01/14/2013, 12:37 AM   #2649
Michigan Mike

Quote:
In all honesty, it isn't worth the effort. I've seen it done before and the PAR increase was minimal.

If you are truly worried, just buy new reflectors from Reefgeek.
If they are pitted but clean it still won't make much of a difference compared to new reflectors, as long as they are clean and your splash shield is clean I wouldn't bother.
Grim changed old pitted reflectors for new ones and got squat for an increase in PAR.
I've heard mother's automotive polish but I'd just use water and maybe a touch of vinegar, use a lint free glasses-lens cloth.

Unread 01/14/2013, 12:07 PM   #2650
Skynyrd Fish
Registered Member

I tried some mothers power metal aluminum polish. It may have been too harsh. I only did two reflectors. It made them better. Thanx for your advice/info.