Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 10:01 PM   #26
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok so if I were to use a hook from what I have read and gathered I want to find the smallest hook possible get rid of the barb and put a price of shrimp on. When the eel fully bites it yank it up with him on it. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blizzard 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 10:29 PM   #27
sailplanes2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbetiger View Post
Do you have enough storage for all your water?
If so drain your whole tank down to sand level and dig a few shallow spots in the sand by its burrow. Then refill the tank.
+1

Had to do this to catch a 6 line wrasse a year ago.

Back in the day, when we still used undergravel filters, I had a snowflake swim down one of lift tubes and make his way into the plastic under gravel trays. Could see him in there for several days looking up from the bottom. He was good and stuck. Only way to get him out was ... remove every animal, remove all the rocks, remove all the sand, remove the plastic tray. That was a big, all day, deal.

In the 15 years I had him, he got free a few times. Found him once 25 feet from the tank, almost to the front door. Dry and covered in hair. Gave him a quick rinse and back in the tank he went. All was well. Another time, the cat played with him when he went 'a walking' and he had a few sores. Still just fine.

Lost him after 15 years when he made it out one last time, and we were gone for few days...

Sad as he'd often come to the surface and let me hand feed him (perhaps that might work for you - shrimp in hand, net in another.)

Peace

sailplanes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 06:59 AM   #28
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

How to remove a snowflake eel

Thanks for suggestion sounds like it was a very interesting snowflake. I have also tried with food in one hand and net in the other that has not worked either. He recognizes the net and whenever he sees it he backs into a cave which is the tricky part.

It seems that eels live a lot longer then what the expected life is. I don’t know if it is just a coincidence but I have been reading eels living to 30 and 20 years and 10 years while live aquaria and most sites say 4 years pretty large difference.

Well anyway I might need to drain it as much as I hate to do so. But will keep trying with bottle and maybe hook. May I ask how big did your snowflake reach? The max size at most fish sellers says two feet but yet I have seen multiple snowflakes 3ft long. Thanks

Unread 11/13/2017, 09:59 PM   #29
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Well final update eel is still in tank trap not working so I took it out he has taken no interest in it. I might try the hook method or move rocks around and bet him I don’t know yet. Thanks for all the help and support will notify if I ever catch him. Thanks

Blizzard

Unread 11/13/2017, 10:07 PM   #30
saf1
Registered Member

If it was me I'd just leave it in there and don't feed the tank for a few days. Target feed the fish if you need to although they will be fine. Patience is really key here. If you truly can't wait it out then just make it easier on you and the tank and start draining it and remove it by force.

No middle of the road here. Either all in and evict by force or use the trap and wait it out.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 12:45 AM   #31
sailplanes2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
Thanks for suggestion sounds like it was a very interesting snowflake. I have also tried with food in one hand and net in the other that has not worked either. He recognizes the net and whenever he sees it he backs into a cave which is the tricky part.

It seems that eels live a lot longer then what the expected life is. I don’t know if it is just a coincidence but I have been reading eels living to 30 and 20 years and 10 years while live aquaria and most sites say 4 years pretty large difference.

Well anyway I might need to drain it as much as I hate to do so. But will keep trying with bottle and maybe hook. May I ask how big did your snowflake reach? The max size at most fish sellers says two feet but yet I have seen multiple snowflakes 3ft long. Thanks

I remember my eel purchase was in 1989, one of the first additions to my first salt tank (then a 45g Hex). He was pencil sized then and grew to be about 25-30 inches long maybe a little longer when I lost him in 2005. I think he would have lived another decade if I could have secured the last small portion of the top from where he escaped. This is the last picture I have of him in a 48 inch wide tank (cruddy photo is all I could get in 2001 with the first gen digital cameras). If I was going to go fish only again, or had a large reef with no shrimp/crabs a snowflake would be near the top of my list

He didn't eat many (if any) of my smaller fish... Even after he got huge. The small ones kept their distance and I kept him fed with shrimp / squid every couple weeks. Pretty tame as far as eels go, mostly blind, and not a good hunter. Your foxface will police him from harassing you smaller fish, I'd think, and there's no chance your fox will get eaten (mouth size).

Good luck transferring yours. I think you got plenty of time. Peace

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0012_resize.jpg (45.3 KB, 79 views)
sailplanes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:09 AM   #32
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks sailplanes yeah it seems eels do get larger and live a lot longer then most fish sellers say they do. Yes I still have time before becomes big enough to do too much harm. And the foxface policing him I think he will be ok in my tank for awhile until I can figure out how to catch him. Wow that eel looks big makes the whole tank seem smaller when he swims around worry’s me if I can’t get him out before he gets that big. Well Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Last edited by Blizzard 123; 11/14/2017 at 07:15 AM.
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:14 AM   #33
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks saf1 I guess it can’t hurt to leave the trap in. It just seems like he would never go in it or he knows it is a trap. I really don’t want to drain and catch him so I guess patience is my only option. The thing is when I don’t feed him for a couple nights he starts to hunt and stalk smaller fish. He is very spoiled. Well any way I will keep trying and update if I ever catch him. Thanks for all the help.

Unread 11/14/2017, 05:43 PM   #34
anbosu
Registered Member

If the eel has a rock it hides in normally I would see if you can chase it into the rock and remove the rock.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:10 PM   #35
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yeah he has a rock but lives under it unfortunately. Another issue I need him out for can and probably will cause rock to topple over as he burrows under it. Thanks for suggestions I wish I listened when others advised against a eel in my tank. Oh well.

Unread 11/14/2017, 08:14 PM   #36
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I don't think your bottle is a good choice. a larger smart water bottle or Gatorade bottle or a 2L bottle trap is a better choice. the stronger firmer bottles work better. patience, it has only been a week.

Unread 11/15/2017, 07:04 AM   #37
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok so the bottle should be changed? To a smaller size but stronger one? Ok I will do that will also take up less room in tank thanks. Will also keep trying on average how long does this take? I really don’t like having this big bottle with a string in the middle of the tank. Thanks

Unread 11/15/2017, 09:59 AM   #38
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
Ok so the bottle should be changed? To a smaller size but stronger one? Ok I will do that will also take up less room in tank thanks. Will also keep trying on average how long does this take? I really don’t like having this big bottle with a string in the middle of the tank. Thanks

A larger bottle. In my first comment, I had suggested a 2 liter soda bottle. Those are much larger than what you are using. You need to use a big bottle. It will take however long it takes for the eel to feel comfortable with the bottle. You could wrap part of it in vinyl so it looks like a cave to him. That might help.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 11:20 AM   #39
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok I see my bottle is 2 litters might not seem so in picture thought. I guess I will try with vinyl cover perhaps so he gets used to it sooner. Thanks for help and suggestions I was a little confused.

Unread 11/16/2017, 11:15 AM   #40
alanbetiger
Registered Member

Draining the tank might be your best option. It's a 90 gallon right? Kind of a D move, but buy 2-3 Brute trash cans from Home Depot. Drain the water. Catch it and fill it back up. Return the trash cans. Dig the sand out near it's hole is it'll swim down to water and also a few other holes in the opposite side for the other fish.

alanbetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 11:21 AM   #41
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Try a piece of PVC slightly larger in diameter than the eel with one end capped. Place open end near its cave. Never had this not work with an eel.

Unread 11/17/2017, 10:45 AM   #42
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Hmm well I guess if it does need to come to that will try draining it at least that way I know I will get him. I will also try the pvc I know he like it actually have piece of pvc in the tank for him he will some times go to. That might work f I put some food in for him. Thanks for suggestions and help will try pvc and let you know if it works thanks. If not I guess drawing or hook are my final options. Well thanks

Unread 11/17/2017, 11:23 AM   #43
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

I had the best luck with a larger bottle such as a gatoraide bottle or a home made 2L bottle trap. You don't just stick the bottle in there. google it. the entrace to your current bottle is "off putting" to critters in my experience. the larger smoother opening of gatoraide bottles works for some reason.

Unread 11/17/2017, 08:05 PM   #44
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok so the entrance is what the issue is. Thanks I might try that if I can’t get pvc to work thanks. Will try everything tommorow

Unread 11/19/2017, 09:38 PM   #45
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

So I tried pvc tonight no interest tonight but will keep trying with squid tommorow. Think this will work!

Unread 11/20/2017, 09:42 AM   #46
smatter
Registered Member

Use the hook. If you crimp the barb it does very little damage. Don't yank hard when he takes the bait. Have a net at the ready and some tweezers to remove the hook if needed. Most of the time the hook just comes right out without the need for tools. You just want to stall him a little so you can net him. Try not to lift him out with the line.

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:45 PM   #47
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Well thanks for suggestion but I finally caught him. Used a net and got my arms wet moving all the rocks and maneuvering to catch him with a net but finally worked! Here he is know in his temporary 10 gallon home until a few months when I get a 40 up and running for him. Thanks for all the help I and the fish and hopefully the eel are all happy now. Thanks could have done it without all the great help provided, thanks Blizzard

Unread 11/21/2017, 09:25 AM   #48
smatter
Registered Member

Victory!

smatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 02:14 PM   #49
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Yep was really a good feeling when I finally got him. Thanks

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:42 AM   #50
vnomus
Registered Member

Resurrecting an old post since its the first one to come up when I searched for the same problem. Maybe this will help someone else...I was able to trap mine (Jaws) in about 30 min with this trap, expensive option, but no tank disassembly needed. :-)

Sea Side Aquatics Collapsible FTC - Large Fish Trap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYVTNDM..._yCC3hi9ihojRr

vnomus is offline   Reply With Quote