Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2017, 11:58 AM   #26
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I doing both both hypo and cupramine at the same time.
But I use cupramine only at HALF the recommended saltwater dosage as the hypo is closer to fresh. Always do it this way never had a problem. Just finishing a friends Darwin clown who was 30% ich covered and not eating. Full recovery now in its ninth day. Yes you can drop the salinity faster, but any changes are stressful. Go up to fast and suffocate the fish.
Not sure if the non salt or the copper get the ich but works for me always.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 11:37 PM   #27
titaniumauto
Registered Member

I picked up the med and on the bottle it says Chloroquine (teva) each pill is 250mg ...
is this the same thing as Chloroquine phosphate ?

titaniumauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 06:54 AM   #28
MikeInToronto
Registered Member

I'm going to post my experience for what it's worth; I see you've already aborted hyposalinity, anyway. Maybe someone else will benefit from this.

I treated the first tang with cupramine. It did well for about 4 days before it drastically went downhill and died. It's an expensive fish so I didn't want to do that again. IMO cupramine is too dangerous, especially if you have the time to use a much safer treatment.

The next tang was put into hyposaline. (I actually put all of my fishes in hypo and left the DT fallow.) I was diligent with the hardness and SG but the white spots did not disappear in a week. They did not disappear in 2 weeks, but rather than mixing/changing methods, I stuck with hypo. It took 4 weeks for the last spot to disappear; then I had to add 2 more weeks in hypo to be sure. Since the tank had to stay fallow for 8 weeks anyway, I left the fishes in hypo for a total of 7 weeks then spent a week bringing the salinity back up.

They have been absolutely ich-free since then, not a spot on any fish in the DT, even on a stressful day.

The point I'm making is, leave the fish in hypo even if the spots aren't going away. They will go eventually. And as long as the method is non-toxic (e.g. hypo, TTM), and the fish doesn't appear stressed, stick with it and see it through. I think impatience is the easiest way to kill your animals.

MikeInToronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 09:28 PM   #29
titaniumauto
Registered Member

im still in hypo right now and the achilles tang and sohal look much better but there is still a bit of ich on them ... just not so badly covered... few spots here and there... im still debating on treating with the cp i got ... what are your thoughts? should i continue with just hypo or should i hypo and cp ??/

Unread 11/06/2017, 01:31 AM   #30
titaniumauto
Registered Member

ok ... so i took the tablets and crushed them and added it to the tank ... had 10 gallons of water ready just incase the fish showed stress.... the sohal and achilles showed no changes and continued to pick at the nori... so far so good.... another thing i noticed is that the ph dropped from 8.0 to 7.8 after i added the cp.... so i added backing soda to bring it back up to 8.0. keeping fingers crossed that the this works

Unread 11/06/2017, 05:32 AM   #31
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Whatever you do don't move him out of the tank and stress him out. I have one with ich now for a couple of weeks and getting better without any treatment. Just plenty of food and some water changes.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 12:04 PM   #32
titaniumauto
Registered Member

the achilles and sohal was in the main tank with ich for over a month and did not show any signs of getting better...... so had to take both them out to treat them ....

so i noticed something with having the cp in the tank ... it makes the water a tint of green ... fish show no signs of stress and still picking at the nori. although i think it may be less eating due to the taste of the meds.... having my coffee and heading out to work ... will see how they do when i get home.

Unread 11/06/2017, 12:35 PM   #33
MikeInToronto
Registered Member

If you had the fish with ich in the main tank, you would be best to remove all the fishes, treat them, and return them in 60 days. With that said, there would be no reason to rush the treatment.

Unread 11/07/2017, 08:18 PM   #34
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Double yes for mikes post. Ick in your tank will slowly take out every fish you have over time. The cycle is brutal and can only be stopped when there are no more hosts.

My sequencial treatment of a clown fish by 7 days hypo and 7 days cupramine followed by 7 days moving the fish upwards in salinity has come under much fire and many suggest it was only the fact this was a clown that it worked. Many suggest this treatment would kill most delicate fish. I have not treated a tang this way so be wary.

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:13 PM   #35
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

You Canadians don't have a clue how to handle ich lol!

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 12:52 PM   #36
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

what you say EH?
LOL

Unread 11/08/2017, 03:26 PM   #37
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
You Canadians don't have a clue how to handle ich lol!
Its out of control up here lol

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 05:28 PM   #38
Coffeeinbed
Registered Member

I've treated tangs with Cupramine but I don't know if I'd treat an Achilles or other sensitive specimens.

If you use Cupramine, buy the Seachem test kit and measure the tank in liters - one drop per liter is the proper dose.
You must use RO or distilled water for top-off or new replacement water. Highly recommend that you keep the water at 35ppt and keep an eye on the DKH. It also wouldn't hurt to buy an "ammonia alert" badge from Seachem.

good luck

Coffeeinbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:32 PM   #39
titaniumauto
Registered Member

eh ? yep Canadians ........ i decided to not use cupramine and did the cp ...
so heres my update for cp prescription from my vet ...
i recently learned that 250mg tablet is really only 155 ... so i added more.... noticed the ich on the achilles tang yesterday so... assuming it was already on him before the cp ... but today i saw less and his body looks like its starting to heal ... i really dont like that the cp tablets make the water cloudy ... so i order the powder version which is 99.9 percent pure for aquarium use only... that wont arrive for another week so i will continue with the tablets for now...

Unread 11/09/2017, 01:02 PM   #40
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

yup, either blow them up through hypo, or kill them with meds.
Nasty little parasite

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:59 PM   #41
titaniumauto
Registered Member

well hypo didnt work after 3 weeks ... so loaded with the cp and hypo... for the first time in a long time the achilles has no ich and has good color ...

Unread 11/10/2017, 01:00 PM   #42
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Hypo and cp at the same time right?

Unread 11/10/2017, 03:28 PM   #43
titaniumauto
Registered Member

yep ... damn thing really works and best part is no fish died ... much better then cupramine... cupramine made my tangs have HLLE ... but after months and months of good quality water they slowly healed

Unread 11/13/2017, 01:05 PM   #44
titaniumauto
Registered Member

so here is a update .... both fish are on day 8 of cp and hypo treatment... they both look great but they slowly stopped eating nori ... and if they do its only a small portion of it. as for the garlic selcon soaked brine shrimp combo... they eat a good portion of it then start to spit it out... lol i think its the taste of the cp.
i will continue cp and hypo till day 10 then cut back on the lethal dose of cp,
ive gotten pretty good at keeping the ph stable with 5 gallon water changes each day on top of buffer.

so here is another question... has anyone been successfully fed cp to fish with gelatin brine cp combo ? will cp really work if it gets inside the blood stream of the fish?

Unread 11/13/2017, 01:16 PM   #45
SAT
Registered Member

Not clear that feeding CP is helpful for Ich. The normal mechanism for treatment is to kill the free-swimming tomites in the water, before they can find the fish. After about 12 days, there shouldn't be any parasites on the fish, providing you have prevented reinfection.

Before you suspend treatment, it's a good idea to move the fish to a clean tank. That separates the fish from any residual living cysts in the treatment tank.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 01:02 AM   #46
titaniumauto
Registered Member

though i do a update .... 14 days of cp and hypo and not a single spot on any of them for 12 days now. the achilles does not eat much of the nori like before ... hes gotten pretty skinny...
i started to do water change with no make up cp in the water.... added the carbon filter to remove the remaining cp.. then slowly move the salinity back to normal over the next couple weeks...

this weekend im going to try the gelatin with cp infused food to see if the fish in the DT will eat it.

Unread 11/17/2017, 06:24 AM   #47
SAT
Registered Member

I don't think the CP kills the cysts in the tank. They are hard to kill without also killing the fish and can last for over a month. If there are living cysts, you may have a recurrence when you dilute the CP and raise the salinity. That's why I suggested moving the fish.

Current Tank Info: 300G Caribbean biotype reef set up in 2003.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2017, 03:11 PM   #48
lagatbezan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
i don't think the cp kills the cysts in the tank. They are hard to kill without also killing the fish and can last for over a month. If there are living cysts, you may have a recurrence when you dilute the cp and raise the salinity. That's why i suggested moving the fish.
+1

Current Tank Info: 300g
lagatbezan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 07:22 PM   #49
MikeInToronto
Registered Member

Just wondering how things turned out. The fish should be clear by now.

Just ended my TTM on the weekend for a new achilles with ich. The treatment worked like magic; 14 days.

Unread 12/30/2017, 11:28 PM   #50
titaniumauto
Registered Member

oh yes ... things cleared up ... i returned the achilles and sohal back to the DT and its been good till now.... strange how the other tangs were able to fight off the ich but these 2 couldnt..... 30 days after i saw the last spot of ich in the dt i returned the 2 tangs back and they been good since..... CP for the win ..... the cp i ordered off ebay was better then the one i got from the doctor...no cloudiness from all the binders.