Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2012, 05:55 PM   #1
sceia
Registered Member

Royal Blue diving light??

Anyone know where to get a royal blue diving light? One that has cree rb like leds for diving... I've looked around and haven't seen anything yet. Might be time for a diy solution...

Scott.

sceia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 12:55 AM   #2
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

i have a light and motion sola 600 dive light. its a sealed (cant change the battery yourself) and its performed well. i use it for both a dive light and a video light.

it has a great throw to it. really outshines everyone elses light when we are on a wreck dive.

there's a 1200 lumen model too.

curious, why would you want a rb led dive light. it wouldnt cut thru the blue effectively, esp below 80' or so...would get washed out in 10' of water, natural sunlight

C

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 10:48 AM   #3
RyanTurner
Registered Member

I think he wants to use it to see coral's fluorescence.

Unread 05/21/2012, 11:00 AM   #4
sceia
Registered Member

Yea, exactly.... Was thinking if I had rb lights, I could see the flourescence just like my tank at actinics with my leds. Even if I had to get close, I think it would look cool.

Unread 05/21/2012, 02:15 PM   #5
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceia View Post
Yea, exactly.... Was thinking if I had rb lights, I could see the flourescence just like my tank at actinics with my leds. Even if I had to get close, I think it would look cool.
im assuming this is for diving, not your tank.

just my opinion, but you'd be hard pressed to see anything, might be dissapointed, unless you are on a night dive, and can switch readily between the two (normal light, higher spectrum light)

it wont be like a black light affect, waving a wand over something if its in the daytime.

good luck, let us know how it turns out!!

c

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 09:08 PM   #6
sceia
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-balljunkie View Post
im assuming this is for diving, not your tank.

just my opinion, but you'd be hard pressed to see anything, might be dissapointed, unless you are on a night dive, and can switch readily between the two (normal light, higher spectrum light)

it wont be like a black light affect, waving a wand over something if its in the daytime.

good luck, let us know how it turns out!!

c
I am night certified and would be interesting to see at the least. I'm wondering if the colors during the day (deeper...around 80ish') would be better than with a regular light. I've google searched, but seems no one has though about trying this with scuba...

Unread 05/21/2012, 09:36 PM   #7
rwb500
Registered Member

i feel like the point of diving is to enjoy things the way they appear naturally, in contrast to the point of our tanks which is to cram a ton of cool stuff into a tiny box and make it look as cool as possible. just my two cents.

rwb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2012, 10:45 AM   #8
billsreef
10 & Over Club

NightSea has gear for really picking up fluorescence in corals. They have the blue light and yellow filters to really excite those fluorescent pigments and filter out the extraneous stuff. Makes the florescence from simple actinics look rather dull and lackluster.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote