Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2016, 10:07 AM   #1
gb530
Registered Member

Question New Tank Suggesions - Drilling back of Tank for Herbie Style Overflow

Thinking about and planning out a new tank. Looking at getting a 24" cube. I found a decently priced aquarium package on Amazon for a SCA starfire glass tank. Link below to the tank I am contemplating on getting:

Link to tank on Amazon

I already know this thing is going to make a ton of noise with the current overflow design. The tank comes with two drilled holes, one for the return and the other for the Durso drain pipe. I want to setup a Herbie style overflow and to do so, I was thinking about drilling a hole in the tank on the back towards the top as the emergency/slow trickle. I would install the ball valve on the dorso pipe line.

Anyone see any issues here? Any suggestions?

Since I am in the planning phase, I am not sold on anything. This tank just striked my interest because of price. It comes with the tank, stand, sump, and a skimmer.

Unread 05/04/2016, 11:25 AM   #2
CafeReef
Registered Member

I have this same tank and did almost exactly as you are thinking, I drilled the return in the back and have herbie drains in the base. My one recommendation, reach out to SCA directly and talk to Steve, and have them drill the base for you to support 2 1" bulkheads, mine came standard with 1 1" bulkhead and 1 1/2" bulkhead, if you want, they will even increase the overflow area for 3 1" holes so you dont have to go up the back at all. Running mine this way as a herbie works fantastic and is dead silent, just a slight hum from the skimmer. I have a build thread in the builds forum Build thread

SCA also offers different stands and recently changed their stand manufacturer. Steve can send you pictures of the stand options and colors available. Since that Amazon sale is sold directly from SCA I would be shocked if he wouldnt match the price and then just do whatever changes you want. He's a really good guy and they ship for free from them directly as well. It is sent via ABF Freight.

Last edited by CafeReef; 05/04/2016 at 11:38 AM.
CafeReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 04:25 PM   #3
gb530
Registered Member

Nice, just took a look at your build CafeReef and that is exactly what I am planning on (was) doing. Will definitely get a hold of SCA now that you said that and see what they can do for me prior to ordering, especially for a different stand since I have read some bad reviews on the current black stand they are selling in that package. Appreciate the feedback and I'm following your build thread. Cool to see someone else with the same tank.

Unread 05/04/2016, 08:42 PM   #4
CafeReef
Registered Member

They have a new stand manufacturer in California as of a week or two ago, stands should be muh better, but I would upgrade from the mdf stand, I upgraded to the solid cherry wood stand for only $100. Some people have even worked deals where the upgraded stand was included to close the deal.

Unread 05/04/2016, 08:44 PM   #5
CafeReef
Registered Member

Also, all plumbing and fittings are now US spec, prior they were not, so dont let any old reviews sway you on that. That was a recent change too, just ensure thats what they ship you. My package took 5 days, from order to delivery.

Unread 05/06/2016, 11:59 AM   #6
gb530
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
Also, all plumbing and fittings are now US spec, prior they were not, so dont let any old reviews sway you on that. That was a recent change too, just ensure thats what they ship you. My package took 5 days, from order to delivery.
That's good to hear. Was reading those reviews as well. Thanks for all the help man!

Tags
diy, herbie, overflow