Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2017, 06:21 AM   #1
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Removing glass-reinforced overflow

Hi all,

I had a custom 110 tall built with a glass-reinforced right corner overflow, and I'm tired of staring at it, since it's way too big. I've seen a few good tutorials about removing overflows, but none has been for one that has glass reinforcements behind the acrylic wall.

Is there anything different I have to do with a glass-reinforced overflow? I called the manufacturer and they pretty much blew me off. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

pacificdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 06:38 AM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

Pictures would help. I'm not really sure what you mean. Is the rest of the overflow acrylic?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 07:07 AM   #3
FullBoreReefer
Registered Member

Is it a glass cages tank? That's how mine is built. 1/2" glass overflow, then skinned in black acrylic.

Unread 04/23/2017, 07:14 AM   #4
pacificdiver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Pictures would help. I'm not really sure what you mean. Is the rest of the overflow acrylic?
Sorry, I'll be home later today and can post some photos. It's basically a 1/2" glass aquarium (110 tall) with a right internal acrylic overflow, but inside the walls of the acrylic overflow, there's more 1/2" glass, presumably to reinforce the weight of the 30" tall water column. The overflow is a horrible design, and takes up an enormous footprint. It's got to go, in favor of a Reef Synergy external.

Just wondering if anyone's ever removed something like this, and looking for tips.

pacificdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 07:18 AM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

(assuming the tank is empty?) It really should not be too big a deal to remove it. Just have an ample supply of new single edge razor blade to score the silicone and peel off the layers. Use more blades to remove the residue left on the sides of the tank. Wipe it down with acetone to get rid of what you can't see, rinse it well and you should be good to go.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 01:25 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Some manufacturers use glass for the overflow and 'skin' it with acrylic. Glasscages does this, as does CtC and my old world class 180. The glass parts ARE the overflow. You can remove them with some effort in the same way you'd remove a plastic one. razor blades, thin putty knife, etc. Just don't damage the structural tank seals.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corner, overflow, remove