Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/13/2010, 06:43 PM   #1
oxford
Registered Member

Bristle worms and vermetid snails

Hello, all. I have a newly set up 29g tank that is nearing cycle completion. Current inhabitants include only LR hitchhikers: a few small hermit crabs, several asterina stars, tons of smallish serpent stars, and a variety of worms. I have ordered a small CUC of snails from reefcleaners.org that includes dwarf ceriths, nassarius, Florida ceriths and nerites.

Tonight I observed a pretty gnarly looking critter that appears to be a bristle worm. I haven't been able to get a good look at him, but he is 2-3 centimeters in diameter. I haven't been able to observe his full length, but he is 2+ inches. I've read a variety of posts about these guys--the basic consensus seems to be that they are ugly but worthy CUC members. Even so, I would like to keep them somewhat in check. I don't have a sump or refugium to banish them to, and I don't know if I could catch them anyway.

I have seen some mentions of shrimp and gobies that eat bristle worms, but I don't want to endanger the snails that are on the way. Any thoughts?

I also noticed some spider web looking things this evening that I think are vermetid snails. Good, bad or indifferent?

Last edited by oxford; 09/13/2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarification
oxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2010, 07:02 PM   #2
theatrus
100-mile-commuter

Six lines or coral banded shrimps are reported to eat bristle worms. However, your mileage may vary. The worms are not commonly seen during the day. None of the above is a threat to your cleanup crew.

The snails are also fine, though can be ugly if you get a huge concentration. Some hermits will snack on the smails.

Current Tank Info: 90g SPS+mixed reef (10 yrs): LEDBrick LEDs, 40g custom sump, Ca reactor, chiller, Vortech, lots of custom electronics
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Jstdv8
Registered Member

bristleworms are some of the best cleanup crew you can have.

Jstdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bristle worm, spider web, vermetid