Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Slats
Registered Member

Question Reef Octopus 150sss: Micro-Bubbles Galore

On my new 75g tank I bought the Reef Octopus 150sss and I for the life of me cannot get it to stop producing micro bubbles like mad!! I have tried all different depths in my sump tank 6" - 12" and all yield the same itty bitty micro bubbles that no baffle will stop.

Anyone else have this issue with this specific skimmer?

I've since reverted to my old skimmer that I used on my old cube that is the Reef Octopus Classic 110-INT and it produces nice dark skim, I'm just afraid its not handling my current bio-load. I have 7 fish at the moment: Lighting Maroon Clown, Sunburst Anthias, Starry Blenny, Orange Spotted Filefish (trained to eat prepared foods), Flame Hawkfish, Glass Cardinal, and Blue Sided Wrasse.

Current Tank Info: IM 25 Lagoon
Slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 06:27 PM   #2
gus6464
Registered Member

Is it broken in? Microbubbles are sign of not being broken in.

gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 10:20 PM   #3
ktownhero
Registered Member

I don't know the science behind it, but something about a skimmer when it is not broken in causes those bubbles. My Vertex spewed micro bubbles for almost a month and then one day it just suddenly started running like a well oiled machine.

Just let it keep running, it'll stop eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Slats
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and give it a shot again and let it run for awhile to see if it changes!

Unread 02/18/2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Rilelen
Registered Member

I have a new 150sss as well, and noticed the same thing. It's been up and running about a month now, just went and peered into the tank - lo and behold, I think the microbubbles are finally gone!

Office Nano Tank System (29 Gallon + 20 Gallon): Saltwater mollies + fry
Rilelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 04:35 PM   #6
DAKOOP
Registered Member

I have the same skimmer and same problem. I noticed a ton of bubbles escaping from the input and output holes in the body of the skimmer don't know how to fix it though

DAKOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Slats
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKOOP View Post
I have the same skimmer and same problem. I noticed a ton of bubbles escaping from the input and output holes in the body of the skimmer don't know how to fix it though
So I moved mine to 8 inches but it seemed to only help slightly. I am also way past the break in period (1+ month). I still am seeing micro bubbles shoot out through the bottom of the red pipe. The bubbles now are manageable and don't seem to make it past my refugium baffle and into the DT. Still don't have a 100% fix yet :/

Unread 03/28/2017, 08:12 AM   #8
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
So I moved mine to 8 inches but it seemed to only help slightly. I am also way past the break in period (1+ month). I still am seeing micro bubbles shoot out through the bottom of the red pipe. The bubbles now are manageable and don't seem to make it past my refugium baffle and into the DT. Still don't have a 100% fix yet :/
Honestly, even at 1+ months it still may not be broken in. If you want to accelerate the process, then you can pull it out and run vinegar through it for a few hours. Also, do you have any bioload yet? The break-in process is also extended if you don't actually have any skimmate to pull. You may want to set it to skim real wet for a while until it's all broken in.

Unread 03/28/2017, 11:45 AM   #9
Slats
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Honestly, even at 1+ months it still may not be broken in. If you want to accelerate the process, then you can pull it out and run vinegar through it for a few hours. Also, do you have any bioload yet? The break-in process is also extended if you don't actually have any skimmate to pull. You may want to set it to skim real wet for a while until it's all broken in.
I have a pretty good bio load of 7 fish and am able to pull some pretty dark skim. Just curious, how would vinegar speed up the break in process? Do you also have this same skimmer?

Unread 03/28/2017, 12:03 PM   #10
ktownhero
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I have a pretty good bio load of 7 fish and am able to pull some pretty dark skim. Just curious, how would vinegar speed up the break in process? Do you also have this same skimmer?
If you are getting dark skimmate then it may very well be broken in and you might want to contact RO about the bubbles.

The reason vinegar helps is because the plastics used to make the skimmer come with a coating on them that's not really detectable by touch or smell, but is there nevertheless. Vinegar speeds up the process of breaking it down. That's what you are "breaking in" when you get a new skimmer.

Unread 03/28/2017, 05:16 PM   #11
BlackTip
Registered Member

Make sure that the bubble plate sets flush without any gaps all way around. You may need to tighten the nylon screw.

Unread 03/29/2017, 09:57 AM   #12
hubble
Registered Member

I have the 110 model and it took almost two months to really break in. I had micro bubbles every where, but now it's running really nice.

hubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 05:19 AM   #13
darthoka
Registered Member

When i ajust it to max the water level drops and at min it shoots up, shouldn't it be the other way around. Did i assemble it wrong?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

darthoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 09:53 PM   #14
Percula9
Registered Member

Run the skimmer return into a filter sock.

Percula9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
micro bubbles, reef octopus 150sss