Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2013, 06:35 AM   #1
smilesmile2008
I like fish

Lightbulb Ocean Reef Farms

Does anyone know about renting a little area of a coral reef (in the wild) to build a coral farm? Planting sps, lps... How much would it cost for a year?

The picture below is what I mean about coral farming:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coral Farming.jpg (40.5 KB, 89 views)
smilesmile2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Lateralus
Registered Member

I don't have an answer for you but that pic is awesome.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef/ 40 gal sump. Born on 5/30/13.
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 07:34 AM   #3
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

I would imagine the answer to your question will sensitively depend on "where". In the US, your issue would probably be getting the state of Florida to grant you an aquaculture permit, they are apparently hard to come by. Moreover, growing pacific species "in the open" might be viewed as potentially introducing an invasive species.

But getting materials, fuel, and other supplies should be easy and relatively cheap.

If you're talking about the South Pacific, the permit may be cheap or even free from a government anxious to get the economic development that an aquaculture operation provides. But the logistics and expense of obtaining supplies and shipping the final product may be another matter altogether.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 08:01 AM   #4
smilesmile2008
I like fish

I live in China right now and I will move back to Canada. Me and my Dad might rent it somewhere outside of Canada or US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
I would imagine the answer to your question will sensitively depend on "where". In the US, your issue would probably be getting the state of Florida to grant you an aquaculture permit, they are apparently hard to come by. Moreover, growing pacific species "in the open" might be viewed as potentially introducing an invasive species.

But getting materials, fuel, and other supplies should be easy and relatively cheap.

If you're talking about the South Pacific, the permit may be cheap or even free from a government anxious to get the economic development that an aquaculture operation provides. But the logistics and expense of obtaining supplies and shipping the final product may be another matter altogether.

Unread 11/23/2013, 09:50 AM   #5
sneeyatch
Registered Member

If you're in the states, very doubtful you would be able to do something like that in our waters unless they are native species to the Gulf. I'm almost positive the government would not allow any type of Pacific corals to be grown here.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the majority of these coral farms are done in the Pacific.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 10:29 AM   #6
The sculpin
Registered Member

I have been thinking about trying this in the sea of Cortez but I'm afraid a storm would come and wipe the whole thing out.

The sculpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Saltydrip
Registered Member

I seriously doubt you could do that in Canadian waters.. It's totally the wrong chemistry and temp.

Unread 11/23/2013, 03:28 PM   #8
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The sculpin View Post
I have been thinking about trying this in the sea of Cortez but I'm afraid a storm would come and wipe the whole thing out.
good luck with that. Mexico doesn't deal in CITES so you'll be limited to local paly's and zoanthids. Good luck getting a permit for those even. I worked closely with a collection station down there, permits are gold and take an act of powerful people to get them.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 03:30 PM   #9
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilesmile2008 View Post
I live in China right now and I will move back to Canada. Me and my Dad might rent it somewhere outside of Canada or US.
The US will not let you grow corals in leased land. You can do live rock, and you'll be allowed to harvest some of the species of corals, but several of ours are on the ESL list. No non natives will be allowed.

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 04:11 PM   #10
OrQidz
Registered Member

would it make more sense to lease some land in a warm place near the ocean and grow the corals in tanks with natural sunlight and seawater? I didn't know you could rent an area of seafloor like you would land, but I suppose laws vary. Also you would not be able to control what else grew on or ate your farmed corals. It just seems like an impractical idea. No offense intended, it just sounds like it would be more trouble than it would be worth.

OrQidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 05:16 PM   #11
smilesmile2008
I like fish

Coral Farming in the wild is not very usual in the stats or Canada... Although I think it's possible to rent an area of coral reef to build a coral farm in the smaller countries that doesn't have strict laws.( Malaysia, maldives,etc.) Probably if you find a place to grow corals, the main problem would be to transport it to you.

Tags
coral frags, coral reefs, corals