Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2015, 12:40 PM   #451
kihon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
Do you anticipate a problem here? There is no way to clean 75 feet of underground piping. None that I know of atleast.
Yes,
Look at page 612 plumbing mantainance of
"The reef aquarium science art and technoloog, j. Charley Delbeek And Julian Spung..."
Also i know of a cooling method using pipes untherground who where fouled after 3 years and flow was dropped 1/2.

If you know somebody with a reefaquarium wit pvc pips which can be openend and are in use For Lets say a year go there and have a look inside of one....

Than think how yours will be with all the bends. There Will be plenty off food coming from youre fish only....

And hopefully no fish or shrimp who got lost...

kihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 12:54 PM   #452
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Are you sure it's page 612? I thought it was page 614??

Socaltoaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 02:42 PM   #453
alfaowner
Registered Member

1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Install a divert valve and run vinegar through the pipes overnight and that will keep things clean. There always solutions to problems.

alfaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 03:15 PM   #454
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

My old tank was about 7 years old. After this time the pipes was good!?

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2015, 04:13 PM   #455
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Let's just say build up in the lines is the least of my worries. There are no joints- it's one solid pex pipeline. There will be roughly 13000 gph of flow through the 2 inch lines. Not too concerned about anything getting caught in there. And no I did not read 612 pages of plumbing maintainance.

Unread 07/05/2015, 06:01 AM   #456
CuzzA
Registered Member

I wouldn't be too worried about the pipe fouling. Barring a collection of large shells getting wedged in the plumbing it should be fine for many years. Even if something were to get lodged or over time flow was substantially reduced there are a number of different attachments that can be used on pipe snakes. From brushes and grinders to high pressure water jets. As long as there is easy access for a clean out it's not a concern.

CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 10:38 AM   #457
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Trust me. I'm not concerned. This is a non issue to me.

Unread 07/05/2015, 06:35 PM   #458
delmo
Registered Member

Just pump some shower scrubbers through the pipes periodically. Have a tee and a valve on the bull of the tee to pull it out when it gets to the pump. We do this on a much different scale in the natural gas industry. It's called "pigging a pipe".
If you got real intersted, you could pipe in a "pig" catcher (shower scrubber catcher).
(The wire bristled cleaning missile (pig) we send through the pipe squeels like a pig when it goes through at almost super sonic speeds)
Congrats so far, nice house and build.

Last edited by delmo; 07/05/2015 at 06:43 PM.
delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 08:53 PM   #459
scubadan206
Registered Member

Beautiful build; house and tank. I wish you the best.

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 10:01 PM   #460
Masterofstuff
Registered Member

amazing build!

Masterofstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 02:40 PM   #461
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmo View Post
Just pump some shower scrubbers through the pipes periodically. Have a tee and a valve on the bull of the tee to pull it out when it gets to the pump. We do this on a much different scale in the natural gas industry. It's called "pigging a pipe".
If you got real intersted, you could pipe in a "pig" catcher (shower scrubber catcher).
(The wire bristled cleaning missile (pig) we send through the pipe squeels like a pig when it goes through at almost super sonic speeds)
Congrats so far, nice house and build.
Thanks Delmo. Ill deal with the potentially clogged PVC in about 20 years - or let the next homeowner deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
Beautiful build; house and tank. I wish you the best.

thank you Dan. appreciate the well wishes.

Daniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterofstuff View Post
amazing build!
Thank you!

To all- amazing progress going on at the house. The hallway wainscot is almost complete- probably by the end of tomorrow if not sooner. Flooring is going in next and other than some minor clean up and touch up stuff, we are heading close to the home stretch. Stucco is all complete outside and the roof tiles will be done by next Wednesday.

They still have some lighting to put in, some carpets in a couple of the rooms, appliances and fixtures in the bathrooms, but really I figure by the end of july all the hard work will be complete and that will give them the month of August to do any final adjustments.

Thanks all for allowing me to share our home. Im really waiting for a bit of clean up to be done before I do another major photo update. Probably over the weekend will be a good time to reshow the house.

Unread 07/07/2015, 03:21 PM   #462
dave.m
Registered Member

We'll expect the FULL TOUR, of course.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2015, 03:47 PM   #463
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Ill do my best Dave. Just want the place to be a bit cleaner so I can get some really good photos. Im especially excited to show you guys my bar. Its friggin awesome!

Unread 07/08/2015, 12:00 PM   #464
reefforums
Registered Member

Looks to be an amazing build! When will you be open for visitors!?

reefforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 09:34 AM   #465
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I keep getting requests for photos. Here is a quick driveby. Roof goes on monday so Ill post more next week but stucco is almost complete. Scaffolding should be coming down today or tomorrow:

Here is a panoramic view of the front of the house. Once the scaffolding and fencing comes down, Ill have to grab a better shot thats not as distorted:

A close up of the guys at work finishing up the stucco:

Another view down the side of the house:

Hallway wainscot complete. Just waiting on flooring:

Getting ready to put the beams up in the great room:

Im blown away by the interest in the home. I thought it would be boring till Im able to get more tank stuff up- but until I get my filtration delivered and set up, the house pictures will have to suffice. Thanks all.

Unread 07/09/2015, 10:15 AM   #466
dave.m
Registered Member

How could it be boring? Your home makes most others' look like garden sheds!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 12:45 PM   #467
byee
Registered Member

1000 Gallon Build- Here we go- Lots of Pictures

Garden sheds?! More like card board boxes for homes!

Your house is more like a palace!!

byee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 01:42 PM   #468
scubadan206
Registered Member

We appreciate the pics. Some builders think no one wants to see the process. Just the before and after. Half the fun is in the buildup. How many home/car/garden shows just have before and after shots? Like those shows, people want to see the process almost more than the payoff. It gives the people living vicariously through this stuff a feeling of accomplishment to see the hard work done by people we want to see succeed.

If you ever have a moment when you don't know what to show us, just walk around and take some random pictures of stuff. We'll eat it up.. Doesn't matter at all if you've taken the time to clean up the mess. [That's called evidence of work.]
[Just don't forget the glamour shots at the end too.]

Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 01:49 PM   #469
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Garage pictures?

Sorry car guy :P

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 02:19 PM   #470
PIPSTER
Registered Member

Nice.

So, you play for the Diamondbacks or Cardinals?

PIPSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 04:19 PM   #471
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
How could it be boring? Your home makes most others' look like garden sheds!

Dave.M
Quote:
Originally Posted by byee View Post
Garden sheds?! More like card board boxes for homes!

Your house is more like a palace!!

Lol- hardly a palace. Its bigger than we had originally planned but it feels just right. Plenty of room for my wife and girls and plenty of places for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
We appreciate the pics. Some builders think no one wants to see the process. Just the before and after. Half the fun is in the buildup. How many home/car/garden shows just have before and after shots? Like those shows, people want to see the process almost more than the payoff. It gives the people living vicariously through this stuff a feeling of accomplishment to see the hard work done by people we want to see succeed.

If you ever have a moment when you don't know what to show us, just walk around and take some random pictures of stuff. We'll eat it up.. Doesn't matter at all if you've taken the time to clean up the mess. [That's called evidence of work.]
[Just don't forget the glamour shots at the end too.]

Daniel.
All right - sounds good. Ill keep posting away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxx View Post
Garage pictures?

Sorry car guy :P
No garage pics to share just yet. Intact I had to sell our big SUV cause it wouldn't fit in our garage at my condo where we have been for the past 15 months waiting for the house to be complete. However I did pick up one of these (the one on the left is mine) a few months back. When I move, Im debating what to get next- been tossing around the idea of several different cars to add to my stable- but haven't settled on anything just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPSTER View Post
Nice.

So, you play for the Diamondbacks or Cardinals?
Ha- neither unfortunately. Im just a regular guy with a sort of regular job. Playing for them would be great and I enjoy sports but that kind of athletic ability totally escapes me.

Unread 07/09/2015, 04:38 PM   #472
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

I wish "regular sort of jobs" bought houses and cars like that, but for now we'll continue to dream through your thread! Really nice car!

Unread 07/09/2015, 04:52 PM   #473
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Well,

I guess a better description would be that its a regular job that I turned into an irregular opportunity.

I enjoy my car. Just am a bit confused as what else to get. I know I know, first world problems.

Unread 07/09/2015, 05:55 PM   #474
Edward Menard
Registered Member

look for a Jensen interceptor...it will go great with that gullwing Mercedes...or maybe look into a tesla?

lovin the house my friend...I could picture Pancho Villa looking at it and going "The Queens Palace?"... )

Edward Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2015, 06:20 PM   #475
Pax20
Registered Member

Fantastic build, gorgeous house, fortunate life!! What do you do for a living? I obviously need a career change! 😉

Pax

Current Tank Info: 29BC primarily LPS reef tank; tomato clown, chromis, featherduster blenny, wrasse, yellow tang 12DX live rock, fungia, 2 red firefish, lettuce nudibranch
Pax20 is offline   Reply With Quote