Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/11/2019, 10:20 AM   #1
higorc
Higor

RODI filter system - waste-water ratio question

Hi Guys, I am trying to find out who has the most effective (best waste water ratio) filter system in the market for a decent price.

Short version of my dilemma is that is that I bought a house and now have a water bill unlike before when I was renting.

I have owned a Filter Direct RODI (https://www.ebay.com/itm/REEF-HOME-D...8AAOxy06RRGy3o) systems for years now, and it's a great system but now that I pay for my own water the 4:1 water waste ration is kind of freaking me out a bit.

I have been doing some digging around and came across the Spectrapure RODI filters, in particular 2 of them. One with 2:1 waste ratio in the mid $300 range and another 1:1 waste ratio (https://www.spectrapure.com/product/...odi-100-pplus/) for $600.

I was wondering if any one here has experience with low waste ratio units such as these and if it's worth it. I haven't gotten my first water bill yet but it scares me that for every 35G barrel of water I'm making I am pouring 4 down the drain.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

• Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula • ATI Sunpower 8x54W + 2 Reefbreeders Lumenbar • 2x Tunze 6105 • Skimz SM167 Skimmer • Apex•

Current Tank Info: Mixed Reef Tank
higorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Four drachma
Registered Member

Spectra pure is a good system, if you don’t have good water pressure, just buy the one with a pump that increases the pressure, this will ensure that it’s working at its highest level of efficiency. Look at your water bill, the highest part is usually the waste, (trash, sewage), a few hundred gallons of water isn’t gonna be a major factor in the bill. Spectra pure also makes one that auto flushes the RO membrane when it’s in use, well worth it if you’re like me and forget it’s running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2019, 10:41 AM   #3
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four drachma View Post
Spectra pure is a good system, if you don’t have good water pressure, just buy the one with a pump that increases the pressure, this will ensure that it’s working at its highest level of efficiency. Look at your water bill, the highest part is usually the waste, (trash, sewage), a few hundred gallons of water isn’t gonna be a major factor in the bill. Spectra pure also makes one that auto flushes the RO membrane when it’s in use, well worth it if you’re like me and forget it’s running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have a water pressure issue, my pressure gauge reads 100 when the system isn't running and about 80 when I am making water. I hope you are right about a few hundred gallons of waste water not being a big deal. Where I live they charge the water and sewer together, like in "tiers" twice a year.

Thanks for your input

• Red Sea Reefer 650 Peninsula • ATI Sunpower 8x54W + 2 Reefbreeders Lumenbar • 2x Tunze 6105 • Skimz SM167 Skimmer • Apex•

Unread 03/11/2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Kevin Guthrie
Registered Member

See if you can find the rejection rate and compare it to their standard system. If it is low then you could easily spend more on DI resin than you'll save on the sewage bill. It could also take a long time (if ever) to recoup the $240 difference between the two systems just on the basis of cheaper water/sewer bills, and the standard system doesn't add to your electric bill.

Kevin Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 05:48 AM   #5
zachfishman
Registered Member

You can cut the waste water volume down significantly by running two membranes in series. Very cost effective as long as you have good feed pressure or use a booster pump:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/water...ef-supply.html

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 06:10 AM   #6
higorc
Higor

Double post

Last edited by higorc; 03/12/2019 at 07:03 AM.
Unread 03/12/2019, 06:13 AM   #7
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Guthrie View Post
See if you can find the rejection rate and compare it to their standard system. If it is low then you could easily spend more on DI resin than you'll save on the sewage bill. It could also take a long time (if ever) to recoup the $240 difference between the two systems just on the basis of cheaper water/sewer bills, and the standard system doesn't add to your electric bill.
Yeah, I keep hearing this from alot of people. I am going to wait to see what my first water bill is before dropping $600 or more in an ultra low waste water system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
You can cut the waste water volume down significantly by running two membranes in series. Very cost effective as long as you have good feed pressure or use a booster pump:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/water...ef-supply.html
Really? Is there a way to calculate or estimate what the difference might be? Do you think I could cut waste in half by doing that? I have pretty good water pressure (gauge reads 100psi) as is.

I'll look into this.

Thanks guys

Unread 03/12/2019, 06:16 AM   #8
zachfishman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by higorc View Post
Yeah, I keep hearing this from alot of people. I am going to wait to see what my first water bill is before dropping $600 or more in an ultra low waste water system.

Really? Is there a way to calculate or estimate what the difference might be? Do you think I could cut waste in half by doing that? I have pretty good water pressure (gauge reads 100psi) as is.

I'll look into this.

Thanks guys
Theoretically it should cut your waste ratio in half. You'll basically be producing 2x the RO water with the same amount of waste. The only downside is that the TDS coming from the second membrane will be slightly higher, since it's being fed the brine concentrate from the first membrane.

Tampa Bay Reef Club BOD 2018

Current Tank Info: 34g modded Solana
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 07:15 AM   #9
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachfishman View Post
Theoretically it should cut your waste ratio in half. You'll basically be producing 2x the RO water with the same amount of waste. The only downside is that the TDS coming from the second membrane will be slightly higher, since it's being fed the brine concentrate from the first membrane.

I just finished looking into this upgrade, this is awesome! Alot better than dropping more money into a whole new low water waste system. Thanks for the suggestion bud, I can't believe I am just finding out about this little hack

I'll leave these BRS video links here in case it helps other people with RODI waste water ratio question. It sure helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKu_e7MVLX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuwy-pgaioA&t=12s

Unread 03/12/2019, 07:07 PM   #10
reefried
Registered Member

I’m sure you know this, but you can also run the waste water into a container (55 gallon drum, trash barrel etc) and use it for things...you could fill your washing machine, wash your car, floors, water plants (outdoor type basic plants, not expensive potted ones as the tds will be higher than tap water) but you get the idea

reefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2019, 10:08 PM   #11
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

If you look at page 9 of this document, you can see the 2017 water rates for the city of Boston, MA. It's relatively expensive for an East Coast city, but no where near the water rates that our Western friends put up with. Exclusive of any taxes, the rate in 2017 was $6.60 per 1000 gallons. Also realize that many cities don't separately meter sewage, they assume that you're putting the same amount down the drain as you're drawing from the tap, so if that's the case, you're paying $15.88 per 1000 gallons, again exclusive of any taxes.

So roughly speaking, you're paying $16 for every 250 gallons of RODI that you use; the salt necessary to make that 250 gallons of RODI into seawater would be about $100 - $130, depending on the brand of salt that you use.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 05:36 PM   #12
tkeracer619
Registered Member

If you want to save money on a RODI system invest in better rejection ratio from your membrane. I love my spectrapure 99% membranes.

If you have soft water you can easily reduce your waste ratio down to 3:1 without any ill effects...

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Spectrapure sells a kit to do 2:1 with soft water.

Unread 03/14/2019, 01:43 PM   #14
higorc
Higor

I was considering the Spectrapure 1:1, but the $600 price tag made me hold off on that. I ordered the 150GPD Water save kit from BRS to use with my current setup.

Based on what I researched, adding a second membrane should cut waste water in half to 2:1 or even less. For $60 I'm willing to give it a try instead of dropping $600 on a new Spectrapure system.

Unread 03/15/2019, 04:20 PM   #15
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Just remember, the piggybacked membrane won't last as long as the primary membrane. You should put a TDS meter on the output of the 2nd membrane and when it starts producing double digit TDS, change it out because your DI resin won't last long.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 07:40 AM   #16
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

Actually, this depends greatly on where you live and the local municipality's tap water. The issue with a RO membrane is that certain compounds have somewhat limited solubility in water. When the RO membrane concentrates these compounds by way of "siphoning off" pure water, they can precipitate on the membrane and foul it. The typical one in most water is calcium sulfate/calcium carbonate, though you can get precipitates of manganese as well.

This tendency towards precipitate fouling is one reason that hobbyist RO systems are intentionally set up to "waste" 3/4s of the water going through them, since the lower the concentrating effect, the less risk of premature fouling of the membrane, and the manufacturers don't know whether the membrane is going to be used in areas with 100 ppm TDS municipal water or 700 ppm municipal water.

Sophisticated (and expensive) commercial RO systems are setup with an automated flush cycle - the output from the RO membrane is valved off, and water is flushed past the upstream side of the membrane for 3 or 4 minutes every hour. That's designed to re-dissolve precipitated compounds on the upstream side and thus extend the lifetime of the membrane. In areas with really hard feed water, the system may also include chemical anti-fouling compound injection. These types of systems may have only a 10% reject rate.

Hobbyists can increase the lifetime of their membranes by installing a "flush kit" that by-passes the passive restriction valve and flushes the membrane to remove precipitated fouling compounds. If you choose, this can also be automated by installing a solenoid valve in place of the manual flush stopcock, and connecting this solenoid valve to a timer and/or controller.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2019, 07:46 AM   #17
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Where dp you people live that you get charged for flushing a toilet ?? Lol wow.. i live in northern virginia and ive never heard if that

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2019, 08:22 AM   #18
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
Where dp you people live that you get charged for flushing a toilet ?? Lol wow.. i live in northern virginia and ive never heard if that
A bit off topic butt hey -

Virtually everyone pays someone in one manner or another to deal with their crap.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 08:08 AM   #19
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeller_nc View Post
Actually, this depends greatly on where you live and the local municipality's tap water. The issue with a RO membrane is that certain compounds have somewhat limited solubility in water. When the RO membrane concentrates these compounds by way of "siphoning off" pure water, they can precipitate on the membrane and foul it. The typical one in most water is calcium sulfate/calcium carbonate, though you can get precipitates of manganese as well.

This tendency towards precipitate fouling is one reason that hobbyist RO systems are intentionally set up to "waste" 3/4s of the water going through them, since the lower the concentrating effect, the less risk of premature fouling of the membrane, and the manufacturers don't know whether the membrane is going to be used in areas with 100 ppm TDS municipal water or 700 ppm municipal water.

Sophisticated (and expensive) commercial RO systems are setup with an automated flush cycle - the output from the RO membrane is valved off, and water is flushed past the upstream side of the membrane for 3 or 4 minutes every hour. That's designed to re-dissolve precipitated compounds on the upstream side and thus extend the lifetime of the membrane. In areas with really hard feed water, the system may also include chemical anti-fouling compound injection. These types of systems may have only a 10% reject rate.

Hobbyists can increase the lifetime of their membranes by installing a "flush kit" that by-passes the passive restriction valve and flushes the membrane to remove precipitated fouling compounds. If you choose, this can also be automated by installing a solenoid valve in place of the manual flush stopcock, and connecting this solenoid valve to a timer and/or controller.

I did buy a "flush valve" to help with the membranes especially the one taking in the waste water of the first one. Never thought about flushing it before, but with the second membrane taking in higher TDS I figured it would be a good idea to start doing it.

Not sure if I can consider my tap water good or very good but I just measured 120 TDS coming out of of it. 4 TDS out of my RO drinking water and 1 TDS coming out of the DI line. Every filter cartridge including the membrane on it right now is about 5 months old.

I got the kit arriving today from BRS, I'll be installing it tonight. I'll post if there's a noticeable difference in waste and production water.

Last edited by higorc; 03/18/2019 at 08:15 AM.
Unread 03/18/2019, 08:13 AM   #20
higorc
Higor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCguy21 View Post
You guys down in good old North Virginia must run on the old faithful "Well Water".

Up here in Yankee country we pay twice to flush the toilet. Once for the water to flush the toilet and second to get rid of the water we just used to flush the toilet

Unread 03/18/2019, 08:17 AM   #21
PCguy21
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higorc View Post
You guys down in good old North Virginia must run on the old faithful "Well Water".

Up here in Yankee country we pay twice to flush the toilet. Once for the water to flush the toilet and second to get rid of the water we just used to flush the toilet

Isnt northern va considered part of the uniin... that would make us yanks as well lol

Yea we obviously hsve sewage plants.. but we get charged for water and thats it.. i never even knew sewage charges existed.. figured our taxes paid for that kind of stuff lol

If that were the case id drain my tabks outside lol.. which i do anyway but still

PCguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 12:01 AM   #22
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Careful with add on membrane kits. Make sure your carbon blocks are adequate. If you have chloramines you will likely get break through.

Also, adding a second membrane doesn't reduce the waste ratio, that is all about the flow restrictor. You still need enough flush water. Just adding a second membrane and restricting down to 2:1 is going to foul the membranes quicker.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 02:56 AM   #23
homer1475
Registered Member

Same here in upstate NY, charged for the water, and then for the sewer to remove it. Sewer charges are based on your water usage. Guess they figure if your using it, it must be going down the drain too? IDK but it's never much, like 80$ every 3 months in the winter, and 100$ in the summer from watering the lawn, washing the car, etc.

Think mine went up about 20$ (roughly 7$ a month to make my own water, still cheaper then buying it at the LFS)when I started making my own water.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote