Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2018, 11:08 PM   #676
ReefWreak
Registered Member

We're renting a house. It made more sense, and is more space for our growing family (aquarium).

I have a guy I've had do maintenance who also works for the big NYC LFS keeping an eye out for me on tanks. I keep trying to push for a 48" tank, and the LFS just so happens to have a new red Sea reefers 425xl for a pretty good deal....

Now I'm going back and reading all of the floor support and deflection threads that ca1ore and ericarenee posted in to get my learn on. I just have to keep in mind that it's no more weight than 4 large men standing on a 2'x4' patch, so in the scheme of things it's not a lot of weight. The deflection of that weight over a few years causing slight sag in the floor, which could lead to uneven weight distribution and tank structural problems, that's the issue.

Also I'm going back and seeing the results of my friends' tank mods, like Homer's ATS, soulpatch's whole setup, rakies cube, and 5.56's new totm-in-training. Hopefully I've helped people over the years, and now others are helping me again. It's a beautiful thing.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:14 PM   #677
Rakie
In Memoriam

Wally B has some interesting stuff in his current pre-build thread. I hadn't heard of Dri-Core (Dricore?) but it's high strength plastic with wood on the top, evenly distrubutes up to 1000lbs per 1'x1' or 6"x6" area (I forget which size) either way.. They exceptionally sturdy, keep water from gathering below the floor, very good weight distribution, etc etc.

If it may work for you, give it a quick look. It seems like one of those things I'll never go without once I heard of 'em. Best part is there pretty thin, so they aren't gonna raise the tank more than like 2/3 cm or so.

And under the house, long 4x4 or 2x4 with floor jacks

I'm sure there's more eloquent solutions, but these are cheap to implement and pretty reliable.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 04:24 AM   #678
homer1475
Registered Member

Yes no more weight then 4 grown men, but it's static dead weight. It's not going to move, unlike the 4 grown men.

On the ATS front, it's finally kicking in with nice decent growth. I'm now cleaning about a cup of nice healthy dark green GHA on each weekly cleaning. They take a while to get working properly, but once it does...... I'm running at .03 PO4(Hanna ULR) with just a small amount of algae on the overflow. The bottom of my closed box ATS is loaded with all kinds of life which is also a major bonus. I feel the ATS does much better then just a wad of chaeto. It does better at nutrient control, and as a pod breeding ground.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 11:01 AM   #679
Therinx
Registered Member

I've lived in Queens all my life and despite making a pretty good salary i've never been able to buy. Just too damn expensive and i struggle to justify the prices even if i could buy one. I am reserving buying a house for when we finally move away, meaning retirement, since i am locked in to NYC for my job.

I've never had the nerve to go past 55g because of the weight, in our apartment, so i feel your pain.

But somehow we still manage to squeeze in 3 cats, a 50 lb dog, and a bird, along with a fish tank. And our kid finally finished growing up and moved out, so there's an extra room. Hmmmm what to do with it......?

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 07:25 PM   #680
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Our floor already has some jacks. I asked because I know I had seen some discussion about floor jacks from RC, and the owner said it was so the new kitchen tile floor didn't get cracks if the floor sags at all. I'll have to check out the Dri-core, but I imagine it's not necessary.

That ATS production sounds fantastic homer, thanks for the update. I still get 0.0 on hanna ULR, but yet there's still bubble algae. The glass barely grows any algae. I always thought ATS was a more efficient method than a fuge with chaeto. Chaeto makes sense when you have a big tank to do some spinning with, but for most setups, a nice compact ATS is probably a very good solution. The problem is that they're still mostly DIY these days. I might even splurge for a Santa Monica, even though in theory I could make one out of takeout containers. If it would strangle out my bubble algae, I would definitely have moved to an ATS sooner.

Therinx, welcome to my thread. It's definitely scary to think about buying around here. The only people that own are people dead set on it and will pay 50-60% of their net takehome pay (that was almost us), or people who bought 15 years ago for 1/3 the price that the houses are now. What scares me too is that it's a 30 year mortgage, and unless there's a huge inflation bubble that eats up that insanely high asking price, then you're going to be stuck with insanely high payments forever. My parents tell me they thought their mortgage was crazy back in the day, but most of their lives the world still grew on average 3%, with the last 20 years or so at almost 10-15%. Right now the world is pretty stagnant again, and to pay a high asking price when you may not be getting career growth and raises like people did through the late 90s and early 2000s just doesn't seem sustainable. So we're waiting. If inflation spikes, and everyone gets 15% raises every year, sure, what the hell, why not, every year that inflation increases, the actual cost of that mortgage relative to income shrinks. But if the economy is stagnant, and we don't get big wage increases, and we're already "house poor" then it doesn't leave much wiggle room in case the economy tanks, which it will a number of times over the next 30 years.

So while I feel like a beholden serf for living in someone else's house and paying rent, that's just what it will be until we either move to somewhere more reasonably priced, or the economy tanks and we can afford a house with our savings. Hopefully my rent is high enough that they don't mind me adding a hundred gallon tank.

A quick picture of where I'd like to put the tank (above this, up against the wall, and that section already has a jack no more than 6 ft or so away):

I also took 360 degree pictures, so I have that too if anyone is interested in seeing them (I can PM links).

Unread 02/15/2018, 08:58 AM   #681
Therinx
Registered Member

I hear ya. I had a chance to buy a house for 200k in the early 90's and just barely couldn't swing it (i was just starting out, salary was less). The same house now goes for 700k, insane.

You're fortunate that you can get under the floor at all, i couldn't do that. Plus, my wood is warped and soft from 25 years of moisture and i'd have to add some sort of metal support underneath.

PS. I've been following your tank(s) for probably a year, I just rarely post.

Therinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:21 PM   #682
kupadupapupa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therinx View Post
I hear ya. I had a chance to buy a house for 200k in the early 90's and just barely couldn't swing it (i was just starting out, salary was less). The same house now goes for 700k, insane.

You're fortunate that you can get under the floor at all, i couldn't do that. Plus, my wood is warped and soft from 25 years of moisture and i'd have to add some sort of metal support underneath.

PS. I've been following your tank(s) for probably a year, I just rarely post.

Smart man. I bought a house around 200k back in the day in Toronto Canada and I ended up living paycheck to paycheck for 15 years. Sure I sold it at a profit but honestly I probably would’ve made that amount if I would’ve had a better job and been able to save.

kupadupapupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 01:41 PM   #683
soulpatch
Registered Member

If you aim to put the tank there against that exterior wall with the studs resting on the foundation wall then you are good to go load wise. No need for additional jacks. I would be more concerned about ensuring that the existing plank subfloor is level.

For an ATS check out 302 aquatics. Decently priced and quality products. Few of them in my local group and I have been impressed with them.

All I know is you need to hurry and upgrade as I have some corals to send your way as I have had some serious growth since switching to calrx...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 01:04 PM   #684
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Aaaaannnd due to moving, this thread came to an abrupt end.

I'm fighting to save the fish and some hardier LPS, but every SPS is stark white, and if the SPS are gone, lord knows I don't want to save the zoanthids, so I'll just do a bleach then muriatic acid bath, then dechlorinate for a while, and will start with a new bigger better tank. It's been fun.

Unread 02/28/2018, 01:08 PM   #685
soulpatch
Registered Member

WOW that is quite a jump. Even with the sand bed releasing gunk I would not have expect that sort of a jump...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 01:17 PM   #686
LQT
Registered Member

Upgrade time!

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:58 PM   #687
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Friends, the future is NOW

Unread 04/17/2018, 10:58 AM   #688
hbrochs
Registered Member

Hey Eric, that sucks about your corals. Hopefully you can save the fish.
Looking forward to your new build and you're welcome to some frags from my tank when you're ready.

Howard

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 11:18 AM   #689
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Hey Howard, thanks for checking in.

The fishes are doing just fine, and even one coral survived! I'm working on breaking down the cube this week and am debating whether to keep it as a QT tank before or after TTM, or just sell it off to someone looking for a ready-to-roll nano SPS setup.

Check out the build thread linked in the NOW text above.