Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2017, 06:16 PM   #1
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Acrylic or glass for a 7ft tank

What to get glass or acrylic ....after my last disaster ...I'm thinking about 84x36x30. I'm debating after my last 300 gallon glass tank leaking of going with acrylic instead of glass ..what would u go with ? What's the downfalls to acrylic ?they seam like they would be stronger than glass .besides the scratching part

chuckbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Editour2
Frank

I have a 125 gal acrylic tank that I picked up cheap for my sump. They are easy to drill but like you already stated...they scratch easy (but can be polished). Do they make large acrylic tanks with euro-bracing? I dislike the acrylic pieces on the top of the tank...it prohibits easy access and also blocks the light. Then again I have a 215 gal Oceanic tank and it has a large piece of glass as the center brace.......that needs to be cleaned every couple of days from the algae build up so I guess we are back to the same question I posed above....
Interested in what others have to say.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 02:52 PM   #3
James983
Registered Member

Chuck, like Frank said the biggest drawbacks of acrylic are the fact that they scratch easily and the limited access. I have an acrylic 180 for about 10 years and dealing with coraline is difficult with an acrylic tank. Then the issue of light loss is another drawback, MH lights are out. That being said, a 7 ft glass tank is going to be tough to move. That was my main concern when I went acrylic. I decided on acrylic after my glass 150 blew a seam. I felt the move into my basement comprised the seam which led to my leak. That being said, I would still go acrylic with a tank that size as a leak was my main concern.

James983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 06:33 PM   #4
qy7400
Registered Member

My tank has 3 2x2 openings on the top, so getting in and out isn't to bad. They can make the tank with euro-bracing but you'll want to go with thicker acrylic to make sure it won't bow on you. Scratches are a way of life with acrylic, you can buff them out but minor ones you wont notice unless you look for them... I can find scratches in my glass tanks as well. As long as you keep on top of cleaning the display panels coranline shouldn't be an issue and if you do slack an old credit card and a magic eraser makes for a quick removal.

Current Tank Info: 380G now with water and fish
qy7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2017, 04:54 AM   #5
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Seams like acrylic is not that bad ...I've never had one .I just want something that will last me a long time

Unread 02/02/2017, 07:53 AM   #6
jarrett shark
Registered Member

Go glass
cleaning large actylic sucks if you let it go ....trust me
i would love to sell you my tank lol

jarrett shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2017, 08:05 PM   #7
fishome25
Registered Member

I do maintenance for home and businesses. I no longer accept accounts with acrylic tanks. Maintenance is way to labor intensive and scratches are inevitable. coralline and acrylic do mix.

fishome25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 03:31 PM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2622643

If you do Acrylic

Unread 02/04/2017, 05:38 PM   #9
chuckbuc
Registered Member

Thanks guys but I wanna get a new tank ...